Format: Diary|Change

on 28 June 2009
This is a very smart notebook, so much so several of my friend bought one after I did. As a whole it's very high quality, sturdy cover, nice little elastic binding strap and a pocket in the back (I didn't use the pocket much though). One downside is the paper, its not as thick as you might think so some pens may show through the other side, but you do get many leaves in the book. Another is the size, it is very pocket sized and smaller than I anticipated and a little awkward to write in. However if you want a small notebook you won't do any better.
on 28 January 2014
There's something deliciously decadent about shelling out this much cash for a simple notebook. In truth, unless your livelihood depends on being able to jot down notes on high quality paper, you can easily get away with a much cheaper alternative to the Moleskine brand. Heck. I even bought a Moleskine clone from Asda not so long ago. It was much the same size, had the same hard cover, the same expandable back pocket*, the same elastic band and ribbon page-marker. Even the paper had that rich creamy yellow colour and seemed to be just as "all that" as Moleskine's acid resistant product. And all for less than a couple of quid. Makes buying a real Moleskine a bit silly doesn't it? But then, Asda... Moleskine... Asda... Moleskine. Hmmm. Doesn't quite work does it?

At least with Moleskine you get a wee sticker and a leaflet with an enjoyably pretentious blurb to help you self-justify your ridiculous indulgence.

"The Moleskine notebook is a battery that stores ideas and feelings, releasing its energy over time." Ah! Now I understand!

This little chap fits happily into your breast pocket, just peeking out far enough to wink tantalisingly at people saying, "buy me!"

Damn. Now I'm beginning to sound like a Moleskine copywriter.

* What am I supposed to use that for?! My Orient Express ticket stub? My receipt from dinner at Megu's in Manhattan? Bill Clinton's business card? I normally just pop those into my elephant skin wallet.
on 16 May 2007
K have to say how utterly delighted I am with these little wonders. My friend had both the large and the pocket version of these and I was so jealous when he took them out to write notes on!!

Ended up getting a pocket one as a Christmas present and I am more than happy with it.

first thing you'll notice is how well made it is, the binding is wonderful, its small enough to fit in your back pocket but not too small to be awkward to write on and there's even a little pocket on the inside back cover for you to store separate little sheets!!

Think I'm definitely going to purchase another one soon!!
on 7 April 2011
I have had a paperblank notebook and I thought I would try a different brand to see what is was like.

I have two paperblanks, one small which I use a lot and carry around with me. The other bigger which I leave at home. The small one has got a bit battered, and the cover has come off from the notebook itself (this is wear and tear). The big one is looking still neat at home on the bookshelf.

Now lets talk about size and paper quality-

The same size notebook from Moleskine and Paperblanks are different. The depth of the moleskine is much less than that of a paperblank, PLUS it has more pages. I guess this additional thickness comes from the cover. The Moleskin hard cover looks pretty good and sturdy, only time will tell. The quality and thickness of the paper in both appears to be the same. Neither like my fountain pen very much, even though I have a fine nib. The ink shows through on the following page. On the Paperblank, the ink even fades - not sure if it is the fault of the ink though. I have yet to test this on the Moleskine.

Both have inside envelope sleeves for storage of things.

Moleskine looks very smart / professional, while the Paperblanks have great designs - if size is not too important, then it is a matter of choice of looks as the paper is pretty much the same, but for those who need even the extra couple of mm that the Moleskine can free up in your pocket / small bag then the choice is clear. The weight is about the same.
on 16 May 2009
The pages are lined, the lines are narrow and grey and do not overpower what is written on them. The book seems quite robust and well made. How robust it is I don't yet know... time will be the judge of that! It has a built in fabric bookmark, a page sized pouch in the back and an elastic strip to hold it closed. If you need a pocket book, this is a good one.
on 15 March 2011
I've read a lot of comments about these notebooks, some good and some bad. Having just spent quite a bit on some fountain pens I thought I'd better try out a Moleskine and see what all the fuss and bother was about. The 'pocket' size seemed the best one to start with.
Good decision! A cracking little notebook, perfect for the ramblings and thoughts that it's probably best not to say out loud or put on the internet on some social site or other. Works perfectly with my pen/ink combination and if another one has a bit of bleed, feathering or 'ghosting' from the ink; well, so what?
My next one will be the same size and probably the 'large' one as well for a journal. I don't care what colour, I'll just get the best-priced one from Amazon.
To sum up - a great notebook that does exactly what it says on the orange wrap-around.
on 2 June 2010
This was bought for my wife as she always liked the larger Moleskines that I tend to carry (but always thought was a bit bulky)

So when I bought a replacement notebook (for non diary purposes) I included this smaller one. Apart from an initial do they not do them with white paper she appreciated the lack of glare after a couple of hours of copying asstd notes, reminders (and arty things) from other sources.

Chalk up another win to Moleskine
on 6 October 2012
I use this as my to-do list and weekly planner at work because I wanted to add a little class to my note taking, above Tesco Value ruled paper, anyway!

The finish is really nice, the size really does fit a pocket very easily, but for me that's part of the issue. I think I should have gone for the size up from this as I sometimes find myself running out of room (trying to keep each week to one two-page spread).

I didn't even know it had a secret-pocket type affair at the back, so that was an interesting find. No idea what I'm going to put in there but I'm sure I'll find something!

My only other complaint - and I'm not sure if this was just my notebook or all of them - but the very first page was glued too far up the page, making it quite annoying to use, but once I got past that first page the rest are fine.

Overall I'd recommend it, but be sure this is big enough as it is very small (probably not much taller than an iPhone 5).
on 29 April 2012
Products looks and feels great, love the little pocket you get in the back. My problem is with it that the hard back makes the bind so tight, that using the first HALF of the notebook, you lose an inch, maybe inch and a half of writing space that is too curved to write on. This is a shame, and something I thought they would have realised before releasing such a product.
on 25 November 2010
If you're looking for truly outstanding notebook -- I mean 'notebook' in the oldschool way -- the Moleskine should be something of interest.

I used to memorize things in small notebooks (mainly cheap ones, prone to quick damage), but for a few years didn't have one. Now I keep a Moleskine and I find it just excellent.