Format: Hardcover|Change

on 5 May 2011
I have both the large and the small Moleskine Watercolour notebooks and they are the best journals I have purchased by far. I use the small one for travelling and the large one for home. They are very well made. In the back of the notebooks there is an expandable envelope made from card and material making it very sturdy. I use this for holding scraps of paper, colour charts, viewfinders and fine sandpaper. When not in use the elastic band holds the notebooks firmly closed, or open on a blustery day! The paper is an excellent weight (equivalent to 140lb bockingford paper) and can take lots of water without buckling.

The small notebook opens along the short edge so when open it is excellent for panoramic landscape or townscape sketches. The large notebook also opens along the short edge but is equally excellent for both portrait or landscape sketches. Both notebooks work well with traditional watercolours, watersoluble colour pencils and crayons with no deterioration of the paper. The paper also works well with pen and ink, and fineliner pens. The notebooks are wonderful for everyday use and travel extremely well due to their construction.

Each Moleskine Watercolour notebook is handmade and is quality controlled and is issued with its own notebook identification number.

These Moleskine Watercolour notebooks are a great journalling investment. Go on, treat yourself!!!
on 29 May 2009
wonderful, at last, large moleskine. Same great paper as the small watercolour books, no buckling when used with lots of water. A throughly fab sketchbook.
on 15 June 2010
this is such a good sketchbook, it has 'Bockingford' thickness paper, when you draw heavily on it, it rubs off really nice, and doesn't leave a grey stain, an when you paint, its excellent quality!

i wouldn't use any other now!
on 7 July 2011
I found out about this item from the latest book of Barbara Rae's work, "Sketchbooks". She is my favourite Royal Academician whose work I find inspiring, especially the fact she uses sketches done en plein air in books like these to produce her paintings and prints.

A quality product with good heavy paper that is fit for the stated purpose. Makes a lovely gift. The pages are stitched in place, so that they open out fully making it easy to paint a panorama across two pages.

I feel a little deceived in that the book is described as having 60 pages but it contains 30 sheets. You can only get 60 paintings done if you paint on both sides of the paper, which I am not about to try. In fact, I am not sure that is advisable, hence thinking the description "60 pages" is deceptive.
on 25 September 2013
I gave 5 stars because the book is very well made and good quality throughout and there is nothing I dislike about it.

I use it for ink sketches using water soluble ink, which I then dampen with a brush or water brush pen. The paper takes this very well and the result is very pleasing, better than any other paper I have tried. It also takes light watercolour washes without buckling.

The book is a good size, big enough for what I want and not bulky.

Not everyone will have my tastes and preferences and it may not suit what you intend to use it for, but I would say that at £13.89 it is worth every penny to me.
on 23 June 2013
Have just come back from an art course in Italy and was recommended to buy this sketchbook by the tutor for the course. I am not an expert water colourist but I enjoyed using this book. The pages did not buckle and it is a useful size, small enough to carry in my backpack but big enough to produce a decent sized picture. I especially like the pocket in the back for keeping things like tickets and other things which I can paste into my book later.
on 22 August 2010
Wow! An A4 watercolour moleskine.......Have been using the size down for years and just love them I think I have filled 10 of them. So this size is a HUGE bonus. Thankyou Moleskine.
on 19 April 2015
Moleskine have released these new watercolour notebooks but they have changed the paper. Although it's still cold-pressed, the paper feels waxed in places and when applying watercolour washes, some colour patches fade as though there had been masking fluid applied to them. Want the old moleskin paper back!
on 8 June 2014
Already familiar with Moleskin books, this larger format is ideal for those who want more freedom. It also works very well for art journalling.
on 30 August 2010
good thick watercolour paper in a well bound hard cover. great for painting on the move.