5.0 out of 5 stars A lovely ballet style workout
This DVD comprises two workouts, a 30 minute (approx) barefoot cardio workout and a 40 minute Callanetics toning workout.

Published on 22 Oct 2011 by B. R. Souter

2.0 out of 5 stars bit of a rip-off
Published on 14 May 2011 by jocamp33

5.0 out of 5 stars A lovely ballet style workout, 22 Oct 2011
B. R. Souter "bonnie3650" (Surrey, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: CardioCallanetics [DVD] (DVD)

I already have Callanetics Evolution, but wanted to get this to add some Cardio to my workouts. I'm a big fan of callanetics because it seems to have better results (for me anyway) and get deeper into the muscles than other types of exercise, it is also relaxing, similar to yoga in that respect, "meditation in motion" as the founder Callan Pinkney called it.

The cardio workout starts with a warm-up, which is like an extended version of the warm-up in the Callentics Evolution DVD (it is about 10 minutes). The warm-up consists of plies, body swings and sweeping arm movements, followed by some yoga stretches (side stretches and warrior 2 variations).

After that, the workout flows into the cardio section which lasts about 20 minutes, it is a fast paced yet flowing ballet style workout which gets your heart rate up but is low impact and doesn't involve any jumping, just lots of plies, big sweeping arm movements and simple ballet style steps going in different directions around the room. I have quite a small living room but had just about enough space. If you have a big room to workout in I think you can get more out of this workout by travelling more and making bigger movements. The workout finishes with a few more yoga stretches (warrior variations). The music is gentle and unobtrusive, piano music of the kind you would work to in a ballet class.

I've read some reviews of this on amazon.com, some people feel it is not intense enough as a cardio workout, while it is true that it does not get your heart rate as high as a traditional aerobics class, I think this is made up for by the fact that as the pace is slower than traditional aerobics, you get more of a toning benefit, which is felt in the thighs, hips, abs and arms. I would say that the cardio benefits feel similar to that you get from a very brisk walk.

I like this workout because it feels graceful, no jumping around crashing into furniture :) I'm only 32 but get a sore knee from anything high impact due to an old injury and this is gentle on the knees.

The next part of the workout is 40 minutes of Callanetics toning, this is a slightly condensed version of the workout on Callanetics Evolution (I have reviewed that also). The exercises in it are, if I remember rightly: warm-up, waist toner, underarm toner, legs, a new hip & behind exercise, pelvis & abdmoninals (including the advanced abs exercise). Virtually all of these exercises are on the Callenetics Evolution DVD, however this toning workout is slightly shorter and omits a few exercises, particularly from the hip & behind section. This kind of makes sense because you will probably get some hip & butt toning from the cardio workout instead.

I would recommend this DVD to anyone who would like to combine low impact cardio with Callanetics toning, however if you want the full body Callanetics experience and aren't that fussed about cardio, I would recommend Callanetics Evolution (or Super Callanetics if you don't mind the 80s style of it).

The DVD is chaptered so you can do just the cardio, just the toning or play all. The toning workout is not broken down into chapters though like it is on the Callanetics Evolution DVD (i.e. on that DVD you can just choose the abdominals section, or the hips section).

This is definitely one I'll be adding to my rotation of workout DVDs.

4.0 out of 5 stars Effective exercises, 22 Oct 2010
This review is from: CardioCallanetics [DVD] (DVD)
A really effective form of exercise - it looks easy but boy does it hurt! There are lots and lots of lunges in the cardio section so if you're not used to it you could have sore legs the following day. Overall the DVD was very relaxing and even therapeutic in a way - with gentle music and low impact exercises that flow. I wasn't able to complete the full DVD on first attempt but I'm sure the exercises will make a difference if I stick to it. (I think Tracy Anderson has pinched a lot of callanetics techniques for her toning DVD if you like that). Downside - the grainy picture quality due to when the DVD was filmed and the fact I have a large screen TV. It could do with updating (although this DVD is much better than the original ones filmed by Callan Pickney herself). Give it a go if you like low-impact toning exercise. Personally I think it is better than the Tracy Anderson DVD as there is an effective cardio section included too.

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent workout, 13 April 2011
Ann Marie Taylor "redann" (liverpool, uk) - See all my reviews
This review is from: CardioCallanetics [DVD] (DVD)
I did callanetics in the 80s but after a few videos and books never heard anything else from callan pinckney, but a few months ago though i would try the NEW dvds with other instructors i was quite sceptical but to my surprise they are very good, the same principles as before but with something added, i am really pleased with them

5.0 out of 5 stars great dvd, 8 Feb 2012
This review is from: CardioCallanetics [DVD] (DVD)
the directions are easy to follow / the fact that there are always 3 levels beginners.intermediate -advanced make it easy to progress..............I can recommend it for anyone trying to follow their exercise program at home..
(I have worked with calanetics (old ones) before so know the principles..but i think both videos which i have (cardio and evolution) would work for any beginner
video works on any dvd player (also pal)

2.0 out of 5 stars bit of a rip-off, 14 May 2011
This review is from: CardioCallanetics [DVD] (DVD)
I exercise 6 days a week and am always looking for new routines to mix it up so my body doesn't get used to the same workouts. I saw and tried a callanetics workout on Fitness TV and thought it would be worth having a go, so I decided to not only buy Callanetics evolution but go for Cardiocallanetics as well because I like to do at least 4 cardio workouts a week. However, this dvd contains barely 31 mins cardio and that includes warm up and cool down. The rest of the dvd is bits of Callanetic evolution. This dvd might be ok for someone not in the habit of exercising or someone who needs to take it gently but it's no use for a seasoned exerciser.

3.0 out of 5 stars Needs some editing, 9 Feb 2014
This review is from: CardioCallanetics [DVD] (DVD)
I find this dvd handy to do my classes at home... If I had not done cardiocallanetics with a trainer first I would say the dvd is confusing to follow. Left and right mixed up in parts and the using of your hands, or not, opposite to instructions. It could also do with being about 45 mins long not just 33 mins. I would recommend to anyone who has already received and done Callanetics with a qualified Callanetics instructor.

CardioCallanetics [DVD]
CardioCallanetics [DVD] by Cardio (DVD - 2008)