Format: Audio CD|Change

on 6 December 2014
A fantastic Therese!!!!!! So vivid, the singing uniformly excellent. As much as I admire the Bonynge/Decca recording from the 1970s I have never warmed to Tourangeau, a glottal, gutteral voice particularly in her later 80's recordings. And as much as I love Agnes Baltsa and Araiza on the Orfeo recording they sound as if they're singing an Italian verismo one-acter.

I hadn't heard of any of these artists, but amazed at the diction, particularly the portrayal by Gubisch, particularly the last scene "il est sauve" and final cry "Vive le roi!". A live recording though I really didn't hear any background noise.

Enthusiastically recommended to anyone wishing to expand their Massenet discography. Now when are we getting decent recordings of Ariane, Sappho, Bacchus, Cleopatre??????? Like this, and Griselidis, I hope this recording company, like Opera Rara recently with Le Portrait de Manon, begin a Massenet series.
on 15 December 2013
This production is beautifully packaged and is a pleasure to listen to. I purchased after seeing the opera at the Wexford Festival this year.