on 5 October 1998
Normally I'm pretty wary of books by Microsoft Press. You have to be careful to find the true gems. "Running Internet Information Server" is not the best reference on IIS available, but it does provide some good information, and the accompanying CD-ROM is invaluable.
Using this book, I have been able to successfully set up Microsoft Index Server, a News Server, and have tweaked the default FTP Server that accompanies IIS 4.0. The book covers the basics of each of these items. It is not a thorough technical reference. Despite its shortcomings, this book paid for itself within one hour of purchase.
I was on a consulting job, migrating a company's web page over to IIS. The IT engineer had already installed Windows NT and Service Pack 3. We tried to perform an Internet installation of Option Pack 4, but for whatever reason the installation failed. I uninstalled Option Pack 4, then reinstalled Service Pack 3. Now I had a problem. The removal of the Option Pack also removed Internet Information Server. I was going to have to reinstall IIS 2.0 from the Windows NT Server CD, then a reinstallation of Service Pack 3 before I could attempt another installation of the Option Pack.
Enter the CD-ROM that accompanies this book.
I decided to install the Option Pack from the CD. I was prompted to install Internet Information Server. The installation worked without a hitch, and my customers were impressed.
The CD also contains Option Pack 4 installations for Windows NT Workstation and Windows 95. These resources along with the help this book provides in the configuration of the various IIS services makes it a good addition to my library.
on 19 September 1998
It is pretty clear that authors know what they are writing about first hand. Don't know how helpful to pass test, but very helpful for WEB administrators and developers. Covers tons of stuff and not too thick. 5 stars. I feel Russian accent sometimes. It helps because I have Russian origin myself. Joseph A.
on 14 May 1999
This book presents information that most exam oriented books do not have. It will not help you pass the exam by itself but will certainly help you understand your IIS 4.0 installation better. It is good for administrators and people who have some experience but not for the Paper MCSE's.