on 1 July 1998
This book covers all the features of EXCEL'97 in detail. It begins at the beginning (What is a toolbar?)and goes on to Visual Basic. The main drawback of a book of this type is that it concentrates on describing features one after the other. Like reading a dictionary, knowing a lot of words doesn't mean you are developing fluency.
An exception to this remark is the last chapter in the book "Sample Visual Basic Application". I'm a novice in this area, so experts might not agree with me. But I found this example really got my imagination. It describes a project that picks up data from an outside monitoring station on a regularly updated basis, puts it into EXCEL, generates a regularly updated chart, and makes a report using WORD. The entire sequence is automatic. This example puts EXCEL to work with other applications in a complex project showing me what is possible. Variations on this theme could be used for many other projects.