on 19 June 2010
Martin Evening's Adobe Photoshop for Photographers is established as one of the classic Photoshop reference works. With Adobe Photoshop CS5 Martin Evening continues to maintain this standard.

Adobe Photoshop is used by a range of professionals such as web designers and print designers as well as photographers. Many of the features in Photoshop are rarely, if ever needed for photo editing and this book focuses on Adobe Photoshop, Adobe Camera Raw and Bridge for photo editing enabling a much deeper explanation of how to use a particular Photoshop technique than could be covered in a book aimed at all the Photoshop features. Most techniques are described in detail and provide an excellent understanding of how the technique works so you can apply them to your own photographs. Unfortunately, some features do not include this background understanding and are presented as a part of a recipe e.g. the blend if slider. This makes it more difficult to get to grips with these method.

There are 15 chapters in 746 pages covering:

Color Management
Print Output
Output for the Web
Automating Photoshop

Everybody will have their own favourite new feature in CS5 and these are all covered in the book along with extensive information on existing features.

A few items have been dropped from previous versions for the book e.g. "What's New" chapter has been dropped and Darkroom Effects has less coverage so you may want to hold onto older copies of the book.

Although the "What's New Chapter has gone the included DVD has movie tutorials on all the new features in Photoshop CS5 relevant to photographers:

The new raw converter engine
Raw sharpening and noise reduction
Puppet warp
Lens Correction
Content aware fill
New HDR features
New masking and selection techniques
Mini Bridge
New print output features

Since the book was published an update to Adobe Camera Raw 6.1 features Lens Correction in Camera Raw as well as Photoshop. A movie covering this can be downloaded for free from the companion web site for this book.

The DVD also contains many, but not all (due to copyright), of the sample photographs so you can practice the techniques described in the book.

Summary

Photoshop CS5 is a significant update from CS4 for photo editing and this book is an excellent reference work and guide to the new features. A few minor points could improve the book but this is still the best reference work for photo editing using Photoshop CS5.
on 20 June 2010
I struggled with Martin Evenings Photoshop 7 book - he does not pitch himself at beginners. I used his CS2 book as my standard reference. Having just upgraded to CS5 I preordered this book and have been really impressed. Its very well laid out as usual, and it covers pretty much everything a photographer would need to know, with plenty of step-through examples and recommendations about settings that might be suited to various images. Camera RAW 6 is a huge improvement on CS2, and its pretty hard to imagine having the time to figure it out alone. I read this through in a week - its an enjoyable read as well as helpful. A top quality product - both CS5, and the book. Beginners would be advised to read something 'easier' first.
on 10 August 2010
I'd ideally like to split this review into two parts. The first is for those who did not own the CS4 version of Martin's book. If you fit snugly into this category then you can now sit back and heave a sigh of relief as your search for a great book on Photoshop CS5 with photographers in mind has come to an end - this is the one. Martin's knowledge of both Photoshop and photography are unsurpassable. A very successful London based photographer in his own right he demonstrates with great verbosity and clarity those post-processing techniques which have served him well. No stone is left unturned and this book is the best reference for CS5 you can find on the market. I recommend it without hesitation.

For those of you who owned the CS4 version of this book and are wondering whether to fork out on the CS5 version I would say that this should be carefully considered. Of the almost 750 pages in the book I would say a significant proportion of those are the same or have only very minor changes. Most of the photos are the same which is a shame as I think there's benefit showing different examples of the same technique even if the textual accompaniment does transgress from book to book - this is what Scott Kelby does and it works. Martin does of course cover the new features within CS5 to the level of detail we have come to expect from him, but it's a big ask to pay the full retail price for this book just for that information especially considering there are plenty of video tutorials emerging on the web (AdobeTV is a good place to start). These would perhaps be a better option to cover the delta.

In short I would say that this book is definite buy for those who did not own the CS4 version and a possible buy for those that did (read my second paragraph and decide for yourself). I should just clarify that if you have the CS3 or earlier versions of Martin's book then this is still a definite buy.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 18 October 2010
I am one of millions who HATE manuals and I am sure you do too so can you imagine what it feels like to actually be excited by one?

From the beginning of the first chapter I was quickly learning really useful as well as fun things to do with PhotoShop and then later with Bridge and Camera Raw. The book id very well designed and laid out, the overall impression is of a book written and designed by someone who understands every aspect of his subject and knows how to communicate that knowledge both visually and verbally. Martin Evening explains things in such a simple and straightforward way that it is remarkably easy to follow every thing he says. So much so that I am not only learning how to use CS5 more fully but I am also learning how to be a better technical photographer with my new digital camera equipment and I have been a professional photographer for over 30 years.

There are just two things I don;t like about the book, one being the DVD. It has only a few videos on it and incidentally you can see these on YouTube. As good as these are the DVD adds nothing to the book and makes me wonder if it was felt necessary to have a DVD simply because that is the thing to do. The other problem is that the book is thick and very heavy. It has to be of course because it covers so much ground in very great detail but when you start reading and learning so easily you forgive it for that.
on 27 June 2010
Essential reading for all users of Adobe Photoshop CS5.Martin Evening builds on the fine traditions of his earlier manuals by giving clear and understandable descriptions of all the many features of this outstanding application. There are just enough background technical details to illuminate a topic without causing confusion.
The accompanying DVD provides supplementary information and data from earlier manuals.
If you have CS5 installed on your computer, you really will benefit from Martin's manual and obtain output of the highest quality.
on 10 August 2010
This is the definitive bible to CS5.
I have read this book cover to cover and it is now on my shelf next to my PC.
The best way to understand layers, masks, vectoring etc, is not just to read the book, but to use the cd and practice, practice, practice.

I use this now as a reference book when I'm not sure how to achieve a look that is hard to get.

I cannot recommend this book enough. It is worth far more than the £18.00. So it was money well invested.
on 18 January 2011
Even with over 700 pages it is difficult for one book to cover everything that CS5 can accomplish and be suitable for both beginners to Adobe Photoshop and experts who are simply updating from an earlier version of Photoshop.

Therefore, I found that a few simple basics are missed while in some cases I would have liked more detailed information concerning the advanced items.

But assuming that the reader will already have some experience of advanced editing techniques (even if that is with a different brand of software) this book clearly explains the basic principles of using CS5 to a reasonably advanced level.

So, all in all, I would recommend this book.
on 29 January 2012
Have had 3 versions of Photoshop CS and each time I've bought the Martin Evening "bible" in preference to any other book, so I knew what to expect before I ordered. And, I was not disappointed! Evening directs the reader through all aspects of the software and, unlike many writers, offers valid arguments why particular methods of working might be preferable to others. He is a professional photographer and long-time user of Photoshop, so his knowledge both of the software and of photography itself is encyclopedic. An added benefit as regards accuracy is that he works very closely with (but is completely independent of) the people at Adobe.

Above all else, though, this author actually cares about his readers. For example, a few years ago I e-mailed him asking about a particular problem I was having with a Canon camera - really nothing whatever to do with Photoshop or his book. The answer wasn't merely a "one-liner". It was a detailed and comprehensive answer to my query, complete with names of recommended products!

For my money a five-star rating for all Martin Evening's books is entirely justified and I am very grateful to him for his guidance over the years.
on 1 August 2010
Excellent, thorough for the most experienced, easy to skip to the bits you want if you need to 'cherry pick'. Not the first guide a beginner to PS should buy but it really does have everything - from setting up on the computer to printing. I've bought virtually every version of Martin Evening's guides (each one gets thicker) and team that with Scott Selby's more chatty style. Good DVD too.Great value through Amazon.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
I've been using Photoshop for years, and although I have a lot of experience with this powerful software, still consider myself to be an "advanced beginner." Most of the things that I use Photoshop for involve more or less straightforward photo retouching and enhancing, with an occasional more advanced "artistic" project. I've been looking into trying to improve my Photoshopping skills, and Martin Evening's exhaustive book fits my needs and requirements perfectly and then some.

The writing is informative and lucid, the explanations are clear and easy to follow, but this is not necessarily a tutorial book. If you were looking for a more pedagogical introduction to the Photoshop's photography techniques and capabilities, then I'd recommend that you check out the companion book Adobe Photoshop CS5 for Photographers: The Ultimate Workshop. However, even this book has plenty of examples and worked-out exercises that you'd learn a lot of useful techniques just by familiarizing yourself with Photoshop.

The book comes with the included DVD which contains most of the images and other files that are used throughout the book for illustrative purposes. The DVD also includes video lessons, which are overall nice but not that well organized. The video lessons sort of start in a middle of some exposition, without much in the way of introduction, and it seems that the pictures and files that it refers to are not the same ones that are included with the DVD. This might be due to the fact that the files have been organized according to the previous editions of the book, but as I have not used any of them I cannot state this for a fact.

The accompanying website is very nice, but from what I've seen during my brief time there it doesn't provide much supplemental material. I wish that most of the DVD content had been made available on the website instead, as I think this would have made it much more portable and accessible.

This is a very large and exhaustive book, perhaps the single best resource out there right now for the photoshopping photographers. It is an invaluable resource that can teach you about all the aspects of Photoshop that you may encounter in your photography work.