Published 11 months ago by Kadeshuk

3.0 out of 5 stars HMM...
Published on 22 Oct. 2012 by Amazon Customer

4.0 out of 5 stars Some of the colour illustrations seem darker than they should be but overall I will give the book 4 stars and recommend it to an, 25 July 2014
This review is from: Armas y uniformes de la guerra civil espanola / Guns and Uniforms of the Spanish Civil War (Atlas Illustrado / Illustrated Atlas) (Hardcover)
I bought the paperback edition of this book, which is cheaper. Let us make clear, it is not an atlas or map book. It is something of a mix; many of the photographs are of a higher quality than those usually seen from the era, and the book is simply jam-packed with photographs and illustrations, some of them straight lifts from Bueno. Even though I have never studied Spanish, I can follow the gist of the text, aided here and there with a Collins dictionary. The content is both astonishing in illustrated detail and patchy in uniform detail, though there are colour photographs of original or reproduction uniforms. However, the breadth of apparel worn in the SCW is not really shown. There are 58 pages on the aviation side, 45 on naval, 34 on armour vehicles, 39 on small arms and support weapons, 26 on artillery. 252 pages all told. Some of the colour illustrations seem darker than they should be but overall I will give the book 4 stars and recommend it to anyone with an interest in the Spanish Civil War beyond the casual. For uniforms, seek Uniformes Militares de la Guerra Civil Espanola by Jose M Bueno. My paperback edition is published by Almena in 1997.

3.0 out of 5 stars HMM..., 22 Oct. 2012
Well this is case in favour of only buying after browsing. If I'd seen this in a book shop I probably would not have bought it but after a failed first attempt to buy this book I was determined to get it. To be honest I was disappointed. My Spanish is usually sufficient to stumble through a uniform book but the text here is a little beyond me. Strangely about a third of the book is dedicated to the Civil War at Sea which I had thought was pretty minor - perhaps I'm wrong - thorough reading required ! There is very little about uniforms in the book which for me is probably the biggest disappointment I would have expected more in a book called "weapons and uniforms..." The sections on aircraft and armoured vehicles are pretty useful but for me not enough to justify purchase. Finally this book is pretty big and takes up a lot of shelf space that would be better filled with more useful Osprey books on the subject.