5.0 out of 5 stars If you only read one book this year make it this one
This is a beautifully written book, wonderfully evocative of post civil-war Spain. It's probably the best book I've ever read - I couldn't put it down and stayed up all night to finish it! Now I've had to buy the Spanish version to enjoy it in it's original form. Apparently there will be more in a series, and I can't wait!
Published on 20 Jan 2006 by R. Hallett

3.0 out of 5 stars A light shade of grey
Following the enormous success this book has had in Spain and abroad, I decided to purchase it. And the novel it was not a dissapointment at all. Ruíz Zafón has written a nostalgic, hard and grey story. Exactly as it was Spain after the civil war. And that is probably one of its main values. The ability for depicting the misery and lost that people felt in...
Published on 20 July 2005 by M. Ferrer

5.0 out of 5 stars If you only read one book this year make it this one, 20 Jan 2006

4.0 out of 5 stars En tensión hasta la última página, 2 Feb 2009
Minerva V. Perez (Barcelona) - See all my reviews
Hacía tiempo que tenía ganas de leer este libro pero sólamente por curiosidad, para ver porqué se ha convertido en un "best-seller" y ha sido traducido a tantísimos idiomas. No esperaba nada de su lectura y tal vez por eso, ahora que lo he leído, estoy tan contenta de haberlo hecho en lugar de haber dejado pasar más tiempo y tal vez acabar ignorando el libro y no leyéndolo nunca.
Ruiz Zafón logra evocar la Barcelona de mi bisabuela y mis abuelos con gran talento. La novela es muy envolvente, te transporta. Si conoces Barcelona puedes sentirte paseando por sus calles en un viaje en el tiempo. Si no has estado en Barcelona, puedes imaginártela fácilmente capítulo a capítulo.
Me ha gustado del libro su trama misteriosa y dramática, que me ha tenido en tensión hasta el final y que no falla a mitad de relato (como pasa con libros como "The Davinci Code"), así como las referencias constantes a la historia de Barcelona y España desde finales del siglo XIX hasta la post-guerra civil española.
Los personajes están muy bien dibujados, con gran relieve. La narración es muy rica en detalles anecdóticos que hacen a la historia y sus protagonistas muy creíbles.
A mi abuelo le hubiera encantado esta novela. Y a mi me hubiera fascinado poder comentar con él toda la información dada con tanta habilidad y a tan rápido ritmo por Ruiz Zafón en este libro.
Recomiendo su lectura a cualquiera con ganas de hacer un pequeño viaje en el tiempo y disfrutar construyendo un puzzle capítulo a capítulo.ASIN:0307472590 La Sombra del Viento (Vintage Espanol)]]

5.0 out of 5 stars La Sombra Del Viento, 26 Jan 2011
This review is from: La Sombra Del Viento (Paperback)
I have now read all Carlos Ruiz Zafon's books, and must admit I am desperate for him to write another. He conjures up the past, and visions of evil so well that it is a surprise to find La Sombra Del Viento has a human outcome, especially after the malevolent Angel of the prequel! The links between this and it's prequel, El Juego Del Angel are fascinating, but not overstated.

As others have said it cannot be put down, and also as others have said please read it in Spanish if you can. And dont miss CRZ's earlier 'childrens books', El Principe de la Niebla, El Palacio de la Medianoche, Las Luces de Septiembre and Marina. If those are 'childrens books' then many a Spanish child must have had sleepless nights!

5.0 out of 5 stars A cracking read from a great stylist, 17 Dec 2010
E. Kraft (Essex) - See all my reviews
This review is from: La Sombra Del Viento (Paperback)
La Sombra del Viento has been on the best seller lists in many countries because it is not only a cracking read but also gives us a splendid insight into life in Barcelona before and during the Civil War. The story is woven round a book - La Sombra del Viento - but books in general feature prominently as we follow the growth of a young boy to manhood together with his battle to uncover the dark secrets of the author's life.

Zafón writes beautifully and his descriptions of Barcelona will impress even those readers whose Spanish is less than perfect - like myself. The book is available in English but, if you can, read it in the original Spanish. You won't be disappointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best books I have read lately!, 5 Jan 2005
This book has really surprised me. When someone got it for me as a present I was expecting an uniteresting drama about a book, however I found it excellent both in terms of content and in terms of style. The fact that the story is not about the book that is introduced at the beginning of the story but about the life of the author who wrote it is very surprising. It held my attention throughout the whole book and allowed me to imagine all corners of Barcelona even if I don't know the city very well. Highly recommend it.

4.0 out of 5 stars A tough read for a Spanish learner but worth it, 25 May 2014
I am still reading this book so can't give it a true rating, but so far I'm really enjoying it. I read this first in English and found it a good read. Struggling through in Spanish I'm forced to go at a much slower paced and so get to enjoy the richness of vocabulary and the humour in the language.

5.0 out of 5 stars Un verdadero disfrute, 9 April 2014
Disfrute el libro en inglés
Pero me fascinó en español.
Increíble. No pude parar de leerlo.
Al leerlo por segunda vez me encantó.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good book, 6 Feb 2014
This review is from: La Sombra Del Viento (Paperback)
In Amazon you can find books in their mother language.

I enjoyed a lot Reading this book, despite of being a tough history it's very well writen.

Vasco

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 6 Nov 2013
Amazon Customer - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
I read this in Spanish after it was recommended to me. It took a bit more time than had I read it in English but it is a superb book. Great characters and plot. The other book by the author I read was Marina which while supposedly a children's book, it didn't disappoint either.

5.0 out of 5 stars libro que engancha, 11 Mar 2013
este libro es buenisimo. engancha hasta el punto de llevarlo conmigo donde sea para a la minima oportunidaf leer. desde que lo lei colecciono los libros escritos por el senyor ruiz zafon

La Sombra del Viento
La Sombra del Viento by Carlos Ruiz Zafon (Perfect Paperback - April 2013)