4.0 out of 5 stars Gothic Horror tale, stunningly written
Published on 9 April 2009 by Squiggle1

3.0 out of 5 stars To the previous reviewer...
Just to point out that amazon have infact highlighted that this book is in Spanish: Below the ISBN information is does infact say: "Popular in this category: #21 in Books > Fiction > World > Untranslated > Spanish"

So far as I know no books other than The Shadow of Wind have been published in English.
Published on 5 Jan. 2008 by Ian Wells

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Gothic Horror tale, stunningly written, 9 April 2009
This review is from: Marina (Nomadas) (Paperback)
I have just read this book. My Spanish is not great (say about AS level equivalent), but I found that I could follow the story even without understanding every single word. The build up is superb and the ending quite emotional. There are parts towards the end where (without giving anything away) the action can get a bit tedious - but it was essentially written for teenagers and I imagine they would love it - it would certainly make a very good vehicle for a Guillermo del Toro film.

There is a good and varied use of vocabulary which has certainly helped to improve my Spanish. On the strength of this, I have just bought his "El Palacio del Medianoche".

I too am amazed that a previous reviewer can give a bad rating on the basis of it not being written in English when the item description clearly states the language to be Spanish

4.0 out of 5 stars Stylish and Creepy, 16 Nov. 2008
Mr. Robin Gould (Belfast) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Marina (Nomadas) (Paperback)
This Spanish language novel is a classic Gothic horror thriller of a type not normally found in English. The narrator is child who stumbles into a macabre adult world where nothing is what it appears. He and his friend Marina gradually unravel the true horror of the events which started many years previously, expose the causes for the unexplained events they discover and ultimately contribute to the dramatic denouement of the novel. Very much in the style of the film the Devil's Backbone,it uses Magic Realism to allow the awfulness of the adult reality to be gradually exposed through the naivety of the young. The imagery and language are truly chilling. Well worth a read.

3.0 out of 5 stars To the previous reviewer..., 5 Jan. 2008
Ian Wells (UK) - See all my reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars Marina by C Ruiz-Zafon, 20 April 2012
This review is from: Marina (Paperback)
No wonder this book wasn't a world-wide best seller when it was first published. Its secrets are best unveiled after you have turned the last page and start asking yourself 'what was all this for'?? In this sense, you may walk completely aside of it and just consider it as one of the early, a bit gothic, a bit romantic novels of CRZ. The story is interesting, if not thrilling. The style & narration are acceptable (but it's nothing in comparison to El Juego del Angel). But there's more to it, if you just look into the magic a little bit deeper. Pay attention to what Marina has to say. Don't let her pass you by, for she will haunt you for the rest of your days. One of the most touching books I have ever read. Marina (Edebe) (Spanish Edition)MarinaMarinaMarinaMarinaMarinaMarina : la història inoblidable que va precedir L'ombra del vent

5.0 out of 5 stars Great read!, 21 Jan. 2010
Great book, beautifuly written and magical story. I finnished it a few days ago and I wept whilst hugging the book closely to my chest for a few minuts.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not in the same league as the Angel's Game and Shadow of the Wind, 3 Feb. 2010
A. Gonzalez - See all my reviews
This review is from: Marina (Paperback)
Being a big fan of Ruiz Zafon's work I was instantly drawn to this book. I had not heard of it before I saw it in Amazon.

Although the narrative starts with a bang, it didn't deliver in the end for me. Ruiz Zafon lost the plot towards the end. It was a shame really. The book started with a lot of intrigue and mystery - he is a master at that - but couldn't hold the tempo. It's readable but I won't go out to buy copies for my friends.

5.0 out of 5 stars The magic world of Zafón, 18 Jan. 2013
Ekaterini Tzoridou "Caterina" (Amsterdam, Netherlands) - See all my reviews
After reading the three adult books by Zafón, I just had to continue with his teenage ones, which are a great read, not for teenagers only. It was delightful to return to his familiar old houses, each holding its own history and secrets. I have just devoured "El principe de la niebla", and I'm impatiently waiting for its two sequels.

3.0 out of 5 stars read the description, 17 Dec. 2011
Diane Brown (Granada, Spain) - See all my reviews
I love this author's writing but was disappointed when this book arrived and it was in the original language, Spanish, as I hadn't noticed anything on the description. When I went back and had a look I found it does mention this if you read far enough down the page. I do read Spanish so will give it a go anyway, but just a friendly word of warning to others.

5.0 out of 5 stars fantastico, 8 April 2014
This review is from: Marina (Kindle Edition)
Aunque el final es bastante fantasioso, el libro es uno de mis favoritos. No pude dejar de leer hasta el final.

4.0 out of 5 stars Estupendo!, 14 Nov. 2013
This review is from: Marina (Kindle Edition)
Preciosa historia, le coges un cariño a los protagonistas increíble! Bastante adictivo y fácil de leer, sin duda lo recomiendo totalmente.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Marina
Marina by Carlos Ruiz Zafón (Paperback - 18 Mar. 2014)