on 23 June 2009
I believe that in life there are several "coming of age" incidents that we stumble upon. Puberty is the first, but as we grow older, these moments become more subtle but not unrecognisable. And yes there will always be a trigger to begin this process. SUKHAM AYU is one such catalyst.

The book graduated me into the school of good cooking. I can now make food that reminds me of the Pondicherry Ashram, food that lifts my mood, that makes my friends want to come over for dinner. I feel this glow of achievement every time I make some Gujarati Dal or some fabulous Spiced Tea from the book.

But it's not only a sense of achievement, it is also a sense of empowerment. The organised structure of the book makes me realise that the mystical qualities of my mother's cooking was really all in the tempering. And I'm happy to say, that after years of not talking to each other, me and my pressure cooker are fast friends. ha ha!

I suppose I must mention the beauty of the book, the sheer aesthetic joy of looking through it, and all the work and dedication that has obviously gone into the making of this book...but to dwell on those factors would be a dis-service because it is so much more.

I hope that others will open themselves to this truly unique experience.

I'm 29. I'm not as good at my job as I thought I would be, I'm not as thin as I thought I would be...but damn - I can make a good Khichadi!

Sukham Ayu: Cooking at Home with Ayurvedic Insights