5.0 out of 5 stars So simple, it could only be the truth.
After reading "The Power of Now" by Eckhart Tolle, I wondered what else there could there be that would touch my inner self so profoundly. What teaching could come so close? Then I stumbled on "I AM THAT", and it's been at my bedside ever since. I now no longer think about the next book - I'm satisfied with this one. You can start it at any page, and immediately find...
Published on 8 Aug 2002

2.0 out of 5 stars About as well organized as the Holy Bible
I find it hard to believe the other reviewers here are reading the same book as I did. I Am That is about as well organized as the Holy Bible. It is basically a random collection of translations of sermons compiled by one of Sri Nisargadatta Maharaj's (SNM) interpreters. Yes, I did find some useful points in here to think about, but without guidance from a teacher this...
Published on 20 Oct 2009 by J. Axup

5.0 out of 5 stars I AM That: Talks with Sri Nisargadatta Maharaj, 10 Jan 2014
This review is from: I am That: Talks with Sri Nisargadatta Maharaj (Paperback)
This book contains the most essential truths that can be expressed verbally about the Supreme. The wisdom contained here is all you will ever need if you are on the path to finding your real Self.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome Book, 27 Sep 2013
This review is from: I am That: Talks with Sri Nisargadatta Maharaj (Paperback)
Although I am only a quarter of the way through the book, it certainly makes for an interesting read. A must for any non-duality seekers, featuring profound insights and guidance along the spiritual path.

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy to read and understand...., 13 Sep 2013
This review is from: I am That: Talks with Sri Nisargadatta Maharaj (Paperback)
I have a copy of the book as a pdf, but it is great to have a 'real' copy too, thank you.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good, 31 May 2013
Teddy "Ted" (Oldham, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: I am That: Talks with Sri Nisargadatta Maharaj (Paperback)
It does open your eyes to who you really are, if you are seeking your true self then try this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best spiritual book I have ever come across, 20 May 2013
M. Lufino (Oxford, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: I am That: Talks with Sri Nisargadatta Maharaj (Paperback)
From the first page you will realize this is a different book from the ones you have been reading so far. His words really cut through layers of mind and they help you find out who you really are. It also shows you a path to get there which I couldn't find in any other books I have read before.

I can't recommend it more.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another classic spiritual book, 14 April 2013
This review is from: I am That: Talks with Sri Nisargadatta Maharaj (Paperback)
I have not read all of this book but I dip in and out of it as I seem to have so many books on the go. I like the way you can do that as it is based on question and answers so if I see a question I would like have thoughts on then I read it and then look at other questions so it is easy to use. However, the language is sometimes complex for me so I have to read a paragraph at a time which is probably good if I want to go into depth so very happy with this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Spiritual awakening, 8 Mar 2013
This review is from: I am That: Talks with Sri Nisargadatta Maharaj (Paperback)
It really opens you up to your whole way of being, your whole way of seeing your seeming reality in a totally different way.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great and powerful, 27 Nov 2012
Ram Lee (Amsterdam, The Netherlands) - See all my reviews
This review is from: I am That: Talks with Sri Nisargadatta Maharaj (Paperback)
Without doubt this is an exceptional book.
It contains 101 dialogues (recorded on tape in the early '70's) between Nisargadatta and his visitors.
Nisargadatta teaches in the tradition of Advaita Vedanta, like Ramana Maharishi.
I believe this is not a book for beginners; it will not appeal in that case.
There is not much to derive from this book for the ego/personality/individual; the message or wisdom at the heart of the book does not serve the personality/individual - 'it is what it is', plain, universal, impartial.
But the words of Nisargadatta do offer the reader insight and motivation to unmask and dissolve wrong understanding in general and wrong self-understanding in specific.
In fact it is good news: 'whoever wants to be naked-real, will have to undress'.
I conclude with a quote:
"Truth is loving and lovable. It includes all, accepts all, purifies all.
It is untruth that is difficult and a source of trouble."

5.0 out of 5 stars A must have for this seeking the truth of self, 2 Aug 2012
This review is from: I am That: Talks with Sri Nisargadatta Maharaj (Paperback)
I pick this book up every night before I go to sleep and open a random chapter. I find it connects with me deeply and is stirring things up within me, a deep knowing that what is in this book is the truth that I have been seeking and that this is already here and within me. Thank you for this book, thank you.

5.0 out of 5 stars Essential Wisdom, Classic of all Classics, 10 Jan 2012
This review is from: I am That: Talks with Sri Nisargadatta Maharaj (Paperback)
Nisargadatta informs the ego and the intellect of all that it is not and he couples this path of knowledge with a profound devotion that will stop your search for enlightenment to realize who you are here and now. You are what you are seeking and in seeking, you cannot be found. We rest in the joy of being, simply "I am." This instruction was offered to Nisargadatta by his teacher and with great love and respect for him, he followed his instruction and stopped all effort. In three years, he Self-realized.

"I am That" is divided into 101 chapters and is a compilation of direct dialogues that Nisargadatta had with his students. The translation of the book is natural and flows very nicely. It includes an occassional photograph of Nisargadatta that emulates the devotion that he was sensing at the moment. "I am That" begins with an Introduction by Douwe Tiermersma on the Philosophical Faculty of Erasmus University in Holland. It is followed by a short Biography of Nisargadatta and a note from the translator about how the book was created as well as a short note from the editor. The first appendix is Nisarga Yoga and shares the simple abode and life of Nisargadatta. The second appendix is Navanath Sampradaya and offers a history and structure of sects in India. The final appendix is a complete and quite helpful glossary of terms found in the book.

The dialogues begin with the sense of "I am" and brings attention to the here and now to live in the present moment. He masterfully moves us beyond the ego and its thinking to stand free of thought, so that we may witness them without identification. He immediately then points to the Awareness and Consciousness that is the perceiving. Nisargadatta also frees us from identification with the body; we are not the person, but rather the Reality that is beyond.

We see that the highest bliss is desirelessness and the answer is to turn our mind's attention inward by asking the question, "Who am I?" He dynamically leads us to a profound detachment from form and to continue resting solely in "I am." The only time to realize freedom is Now and that Life can be the teacher, when we allow it to be as it is and notice that life is happening by itself. He shifts us beyond the duality of a pleasure that cycles to pain to realize the Bliss of True Self.

When we begin observing, we recognize all that we are not. We brush off the dust of the mind, its time and all of its false concepts and what remains is who we really are. He points that insecurity is not in the life situation and that it is sourced within the dual mind. When we break free of thought and ever more subtle layers of the intellect, we discouver the absolute security of the changeless. Nisargadatta warns that when we follow the desires of the mind, they may be fulfilled, but discontentment will surely once again resurface and that by following desire, we are breeding more desire and that quest will prove to be endless. Beyond the mind, we are free of both fear and desire and therefore free of all suffering.

He consistently reminds his students that bondage is a delusion and the freedom of True Self already is within them. He urges to seek the very source of consciousness itself, the deepest root of collective suffering. If it is not eradicated, even after awakening, it will surface to be freed.

"I am" is the foundation of all experience and the doorway to discover ever present peace. Here, we shift beyond all space and time.

Sooner or later, you will enjoy this spirtual classic in the maturity of your search for enlightenment. "I am That" is the last stop. This book is essential teaching, a must read, from an extraordinary sage.

Katie Davis, Author, "Awake Joy"

I am That: Talks with Sri Nisargadatta Maharaj
I am That: Talks with Sri Nisargadatta Maharaj by Sri Nisargadatta Maharaj (Paperback - 2 April 2003)
22.49