5.0 out of 5 stars So simple, it could only be the truth.
Published on 8 Aug 2002

2.0 out of 5 stars nice soundbites but teaching does not have traction for me
attractive back story (I like that he went up alone into Himalayas, but after a year came back to his wife and Bombay shop).
Published 22 days ago by Hector

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars So simple, it could only be the truth., 8 Aug 2002
By A Customer
This review is from: I am That: Talks with Sri Nisargadatta Maharaj (Paperback)
After reading "The Power of Now" by Eckhart Tolle, I wondered what else there could there be that would touch my inner self so profoundly. What teaching could come so close? Then I stumbled on "I AM THAT", and it's been at my bedside ever since. I now no longer think about the next book - I'm satisfied with this one. You can start it at any page, and immediately find the encouragement to carry on your spiritual journey. If your serious about finding "I", "Self", or God then don't hesitate; this is the one. This book is so simple, and straight to the point, it just can't be argued with. I don't care how much it costs, its worth every penny.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Final Spiritual Teaching, 4 Aug 2005
This review is from: I am That: Talks with Sri Nisargadatta Maharaj (Paperback)
Nisargadatta Maharaj's "I AM THAT" is the last spiritual book you'll ever need to read. Congratulations, you've reached the end of your search! Nisargadatta's words are alive and will cut like a razor to the core of your being. Get this book! Read it and be devoured by it. Here are a few quotes...
Nothing can trouble you but your own imagination. (I AM THAT p.113)
General knowledge develops the mind, no doubt. But if you are going to spend your life in amassing knowledge, you build a wall round yourself. To go beyond the mind, a well-furnished mind is not needed. (p50)
The window is the absence of the wall, and it gives air and light because it is empty. Be empty of al mental content, of all imagination and effort, and the very absence of obstacles will cause reality to rush in. (p260)
Leave it all behind you. Forget it. Go forth, unburdened with ideas and beliefs. Abandon all verbal structures, all relative truth, all tangible objectives. (p340)
All are mere words, of what use are they to you? You are entangled in the web of verbal definitions and formulations. Go beyond your concepts and ideas; in the silence of desire and thought the truth is found. (p295)
Too much analysis leads you nowhere. There is in you the core of being which is beyond analysis, beyond the mind. You can know it in action only. The legitimate function of the mind is to tell you what is not. But if you want possitive knowledge, you must go beyond the mind. (p341)
Before you can know anything directly, non-verbally, you must know the knower. So far, you took the mind for the knower, but it is not so. The mind clogs you up with images and ideas, which leave scars in memory. You take remembering to be knowledge. True knowledge is ever fresh, new, unexpected. It wells up from within. When you know what you are, you also are what you know. Between knowing and being there is no gap. (p520)
Consciousness, being a product of conditions and circumstances, depends on them and changes along with them. What is independent, uncreated, timeless and changeless and yet ever new and fresh is beyond the mind. When the mind thinks of it, the mind dissolves and only happiness remains. (p488)
[With self-awareness] you grow more intelligent. In awareness you learn, in self-awareness you learn about yourself. Of course, you can only learn what you are not. To know what you are, you must go beyond the mind. Awareness is the point at which the mind reaches out beyond itself into reality. In awareness you seek not what pleases, but what is true. (p346)
Stop making use of your mind and see what happens. Do this one thing thoroughly. That is all. (p197)
Stephen Wingate
livinginpeace-thenaturalstate.com

5.0 out of 5 stars Introducing "I Am That" by Nisargadatta Maharaj, 17 Mar 2008
This book is 'meaty' and intense. The questioner, asking just about every 'spiritual seeking' sort of question under the sun. The teacher, Nisargadatta Maharaj, at all times, focused fully in his Truth (that there is only one substance; that everything is part of the ocean of consciousness in which all happens; everything is 'I Am'). His answers always very clear and concise. Every answer, profoundly and wonderfully, liberating.
For the true 'seeker', experiencing for just one moment, the essense of this teaching, will be a real awakening, and nothing will ever be the same again.

5.0 out of 5 stars Ulitmate Knowledge, 22 Mar 2007
This review is from: I am That: Talks with Sri Nisargadatta Maharaj (Paperback)
This book is a collection of recordings of conversations between an Indian guru called Sri Nisargadatta Maharaj, and vistors who came to see him at his Ashram in the slums of Bombay in the late 1960s.

It's not for everyone. But if you're a thinking person, thoughtful and reflective, and have grown tired of philosophy because it's not giving you the answers you seek concerning the nature of reality, God, the Universe and everything; and if you're skeptical of various religious systems, and Buddhism is not working for you; and if you want read the teachings of someone who knows the ulitmate, someone who talks only straight, someone with no self-interest at all -- then may have come to the right place with this book.

This book has the power to trigger shifts in consciousness. It may be the last book you ever read.

4.0 out of 5 stars Accessible text on spirituality, if a little long!, 30 Nov 2009
This review is from: I am That: Talks with Sri Nisargadatta Maharaj (Paperback)
I found this book to offer some great insights and simple instructions on becoming more present. I believe it was translated from marathi into english, however, which I think makes some of the translations a little confusing. It's also in a question and answer format which I didn't get on with as I think it assumes that everyone is asking the same questions and when you read it you may wonder at the relevance of some of the questions these spiritual pilgrims are asking. The text is quite intellectually challenging in places as well, particularly the questions asked, which can numb your brain at certain times of day as the book is quite long and the message repetative at times. Anyway, I don't want to criticise what is otherwise a great book and the message being offered here is clear, concise and liberating. In short this and "Power of Now" are in my opinion the only two books on sprituality anyone should ever need!

5.0 out of 5 stars Congratulations, your search is over..., 10 Nov 2009
M. WILLIAMS "Maffin" (London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: I am That: Talks with Sri Nisargadatta Maharaj (Paperback)
If you have found this page and are reading reviews of "I AM THAT" then it's fair to say you have completed 99% of your spiritual journey.

You are a click away from your final book.

You have probably been interested in different religions, spiritual development, political and scientific systems, moved from -ism to -ism and wondered what the truth is about consciousness and reality, how you fit into the universe and which is the true school. What happens when scientific rationalism, for all its gifts, is too tied up with market forces and commerce to be fully trusted as a cosmology? Where do you go when religions finally reveal themselves to be partial, incomplete or politically motivated?

Of course everyone has a favourite route to the 'now' or the 'divine', whatever you want to call it, and a favourite teacher or voice to show you the way, but I have no reason to lie to you when I say that your journey is at an end. Keep this book by your bedside - it will take a long while to absorb - but contains all the answers you have been seeking all these years.

5.0 out of 5 stars Seekers of the TRUTH buy this book now., 12 Jun 2002
This review is from: I am That: Talks with Sri Nisargadatta Maharaj (Paperback)
Valuable beyond words. Question and answer format, Nisargadatta reaches out to Hindus and Westerners alike with wonderful simplicity. Lucid and pragmatic, Nisargadatta leads you to discover the truth of who you really are through the simple practice of being. If your question isn't covered in this book then you pehaps have the wrong question.

5.0 out of 5 stars A mastrerpiece., 17 Jan 2012
jeffrey (colchester, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: I am That: Talks with Sri Nisargadatta Maharaj (Paperback)
This book was reccomended to me by a fellow recovering Buddhist who wanted to go deeper.
The essential issues of matter ,form and spirit are discussed here in question and answer format and is an aid to the seeker of truth beyond words and even thought.

This book would be a great aid for fans of Erckhart tolle.
A refreshing alternative finger pointing at the moon which does not claim to be the Moon.

A good spiritual teacher has nothing to teach therefore Maharaj will help you to remember who you are.

Alternatively you could always read a good western.

5.0 out of 5 stars Allow the words to dispel illusion., 22 Nov 2011
This review is from: I am That: Talks with Sri Nisargadatta Maharaj (Paperback)
"Action delayed is action abandoned", says Maharaj and with that I am led to write something about this magnificent book, though I feel woefully underqualified.

Since buying this book about 6 months ago, I have read it and reread it. I have read many books of a philosophical and spiritual nature but there is something special about this book. Maharaj's words have a deconstructing effect on the falsehoods entertained by the mind. It is quite something to behold one's illusions being dispelled, compassionately but nevertheless sharply.

I am a little skeptical of the talk of other reviewers about how this is the last spiritual book you'll ever need. I certainly see what they are getting at but the fact is that you do not need any spiritual books, not even this one.

Read it to hear, in words, what you already know silently in the depths of your being.

A note on publishers:
There are some noticeable editorial errors in the Chetana press edition. A previous reviewer has said that the Acorn Press edition does not contain these errors. If so, definitely try to get that edition instead.

4.0 out of 5 stars Inspirational, sometimes heavy!, 3 Mar 2014
This review is from: I am That: Talks with Sri Nisargadatta Maharaj (Paperback)
I am always inspired by this kind of thing.
Nisargatta repeated advice to focus on 'I Am' to draw us towards enlightenment ensures that we do not get too lost in interminable question asking. There were times when I found this book rather overwhelmingly challenging but maybe that says more about me than the writer or the book! It is quite a heavy tome in more ways than the obvious but clearly has a great deal to offer to anyone who is prepared to persist. The most difficult thing about realisation is that the stronger your desire to know what one cannot know, the less able one will be to receive the blessing. The danger I suppose is to get stuck with all the studying and the stimulation and the hope, and never actually do the 'let go' thing, the emptiness thing, the desire-give-up thing,that is in the end the only requirement. A bit like Eliot's 'hoping without hope, for hope would be hope of the wrong thing', or whatever it was he said.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

I am That: Talks with Sri Nisargadatta Maharaj
I am That: Talks with Sri Nisargadatta Maharaj by Sri Nisargadatta Maharaj (Paperback - 2 April 2003)