4.0 out of 5 stars Lots of Good Stuff; lots of errors, buy it anyway.
Summary: I wanted something that would force me to cover a decent

amount of Solaris 10, both to avoid looking dumb on interview and to

pass the Sol10 SCSA/SCNA. I have lots of Unix, and Sol9 SCSA/SCNA.

This book worked well.

I bought the limp-cover version. It's still a Big Fat Book; so chunky

that several people...
Published on 20 Jan 2007 by A. J. Heskett

1.0 out of 5 stars I have to agree with Jayden.
Published on 19 Nov 2007 by Mr. D. Wooldridge

4.0 out of 5 stars Lots of Good Stuff; lots of errors, buy it anyway., 20 Jan 2007
A. J. Heskett "Tony Heskett" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Solaris 10 System Administration: Exam Prep CX-310-200 Exam CX-310-202 (Hardcover)
Summary: I wanted something that would force me to cover a decent

amount of Solaris 10, both to avoid looking dumb on interview and to

pass the Sol10 SCSA/SCNA. I have lots of Unix, and Sol9 SCSA/SCNA.

This book worked well.

I bought the limp-cover version. It's still a Big Fat Book; so chunky

that several people have approached me, in bars and on public transport,

purely because of its size. So, it *may* help you meet women :-)

Good points:

*Lots* of commands; lots of output; friendly layout with

space to write in the margins; decent writing/English; skips the "absolute

beginner" stuff ("how to use vi") that some books pointlessly include.

Well-bound, so mine's pleasantly dog-eared but still in one piece :-)

Bad points:

Lots of errors (I've written corrections on most pages of my copy;

so with 1076 pages, errata sheets would be *painful* to use).

This isn't a killer if you're going to do all the examples, because you'll

find the errors and a lot of the errors are minor or trivial -- but they

still prevent the commands from working (e.g., lowercase-i instead of

uppercase-I).

The errors made me somewhat distrustful of the author (so I found myself

double-checking stuff that I'd hope to just glance over) and IMHO make

the PDF much less useful (since you can't Tipp-Ex errors; you're

forced to keep snagging on them).

The typesetting is (mostly) justified-right; this means that, quite

often, a Unix command or path is broken halfway. *MUCH* harder to

remember this stuff, when it's printed like /var/sadm -PAGEBREAK-

/install/contents. Ragged-right (and some keep-together tags)

would help a lot: function over form, please!

The Sun manuals (e.g.) use italic for variables, teletype for shell

output and bold teletype for user input; Que's typesetting includes

some of this, but isn't consistent and adds a sprinkling of <> around

[some] variables. So it's often hard to know what's literal, what's

variable and what's redirection, ARRGGH :-)

All that said, the book's good value, useful and did exactly what

I wanted; dragged me through a decent chunk of Solaris 10, in

comparative comfort :-) And if you're looking for a proofreader

for the next edition, give me a whistle...

Caveat: I sat the *upgrade* CX-310-203, rather than the two full

SCSA exams. The Exam Objectives for the upgrade exam are *not*

fully covered by this book and, if you don't devote some time

to covering the extras, you'll get an unpleasant surprise from Prometric.

4.0 out of 5 stars All the information in one place to pass the exam, 22 Feb 2006
Mr. A. Davis "mradamd" (London.UK.) - See all my reviews
Easy enough to read. Of course the author expects you to have some idea as to what you are doing and it would be a waste of time if they made it to simplistic.
Yes all the information is on sunsolve if you want to download all the documentation and trawl through it but it is a lot easier to just read this book and play on a machine doing the examples.
I found this book good and it really does cover the new features in Solaris 10.

4.0 out of 5 stars Passed the Solaris 10 Upgrade exam after reading this book, 3 Jan 2007
I quite liked this book. It's approach is to teach you enough to be an administrator as well as to pass the exams. After reading the book and practicing the new Solaris 10 features (zones, service management, patch management) I've become quite enthusiastic - Solaris seems to have caught up with and even overtaken Linux in a few areas. Also, I passed the upgrade exam (CX-310-203) first time.

Downsides -

* I would have liked to have seen more on live upgrade, even if it's not required by the exam.

* I exhausted the test questions on CD after only 6 hours

* About 10% of the questions I was asked in the exam were not covered in the book. However, this is acceptable as the exam pass mark is only 60%, and the book is quite chunky already.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book, which does exactly what it says on the cover, 28 Jan 2006
D. R. Kirkby (the UK) - See all my reviews
This book really is excellent and one of the best technical books I have seen - and I have 5 bookcases full of books, with many of the books being technical ones.
It is endorsed by several Sun employees responsible for the Solaris Certification exams so I assume the level is right and not too basic, although I have not taken the exams yet (I will take CX-310-200 next month).
Even if you have no intension of doing the SCSA exams, this forms an excellent book on Solaris 10 for system administrators.
The book actually covers Solaris 10, including the new SMF and zones, unlike some books which cover only Solaris 9 but claim to cover Solaris 10. I'm advised by a Sun employee one book claims to cover the Solaris Security Certification exams for Solaris 9 and 10, despite the fact Sun have not yet written the Security Certification exams for Solaris 10. At the time I wrote this review, there are several books on the market with Solaris 10 on their covers, but it appears their authors has not seen Solaris 10 - so watch out. (I'd ask for a refund in such cases).
This book does exactly what it says on the cover - to coin a phase from some well known TV adverts in the UK. It is not therefore a beginners book, so not ideal if you know very little UNIX. If you don't have root access and have no intension of getting root access, then the book is not for you. If however you want to do Sun's exams, or administor Solaris 10 systems, I don't think you will find a better book.
I'm disappointed the software supplied with the book only run on Microsoft Windows. I'd much prefer the software to run on Solaris as well as Windows. Building a cross-platform (Windows, Solaris x86 and Solaris on SPARC) exam can't be too hard can it, especially when there are open-source tools that I think could aid in this? (I'm thinking of a basic Apache server running at a port >1024 with php support, then some php based exam software). If that is not suitable, write something in C or C++.
I have not looked at the software with this book - other than check the CD is indeed only for Windows.
If I could give a mark out of 10, I would give 9, rather than 10, due to the operating systems the software runs on. But a mark of 4 stars would be a gross injustice, so I am giving 5 stars, despite my concerns about the software.
Dr. David Kirkby Ph.D.

1.0 out of 5 stars I have to agree with Jayden., 19 Nov 2007
Mr. D. Wooldridge "z0mbix" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
I have to agree with Jayden's review. The exam questions are much harder than the test questions provided on the CD. What's more, once you've been through the exam questions once, you know all the questions. There are not enough provided with the book, but that's because the author wants to sell you more from his website. My advice would to be buy the test exams from Sun on their website instead. Also, the content covered is not enough for somebody coming from a non Solaris background to pass the exam as the content is not detailed enough. This book is probably only useful to somebody who is already very familiar with Solaris wishing to become qualified or for someone wishing to upgrade their old SCSA qualification to Solaris 10.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good, but needing an update., 21 April 2008
This book covers most aspects of the exams, but there are some glaringly obvious omissions which will come back to haunt you come test time. Those omissions are:

- Solaris 10 on X86 general topics, grub boot manager.
- ZFS

Having just sat (and thankfully passed) both exams to attain the SCSA, I would say this book is definitely in need of an update. Also, you should certainly set up a test lab to practice the technologies outlined in this book else you're going to come unstuck come test time. Sun have just acquired Innotek, they provide virtualisation software on GPL, this seems to work well with Sol 10 x86.

To surmise, this book *is* helpful, but you're going to need more resources if you want to pass.

5.0 out of 5 stars great book!, 7 Oct 2013
I've passed my SCSA and SCNA with the aid of this book in 2006 and 2007. (thanks to my knowledge of course, but it helped a lot)
Since then it-s still on my preferred library list in my living room. Great reference!!

2.0 out of 5 stars not very satisfied..., 20 Jun 2010
B. Viktor (Hungary) - See all my reviews
I'm not very satisfied with this book. A lot of typos, and it doesnt contain the latest features os Solaris 10. (I mean ZFS, SMF, etc...) Okay, it's getting old, and the time it was written there haven't been any of such features. Besides the huge errata I think it is also not good sectioned, it makes you jump themes even if you read it sequentially. At some parts, you must be a professional at least in other unix derivatives to understand the material, at other parts you can also be a complete noob, and defining every little trivia drives me crazy. (e.g. the first step is often to "login to the server", or the <cr> signs at the end of the lines, etc...) I would recommend you to go for the newer, 2-volumed version, that's newer than this, and maybe a little bit more overthought.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best exam guide Available, 23 Aug 2007
I first brought the Paul Sanghera book but found this lacking in detail. This book not only prepares you to pass the exam but also prepares you in becoming an effective administrator. Easily the best exam guide on the market

1.0 out of 5 stars I failed the test because of this book, 6 Oct 2007
I mean, it's not a bad book about Solaris, but as preparation for the exam, it's basically useless. The exam is MUCH harder than the review questions prepare you for. My advice would be to save up and take a Sun Microsystems class than rely on this book.

Solaris 10 System Administration: Exam Prep CX-310-200 Exam CX-310-202