5.0 out of 5 stars As beautiful today as in 1913 when It was published
Rabindranath Tagore offers the discerning reader "manna for the spirit". In truth, this small volume of poetry consists of English translations of Bengali songs of worship. My well worn copy from 1971 (MacMillan and Company, New York) has stood the test of time, being read and reread many times in the past 24 years.
Tagore is my favorite poet, he approaches...
Published on 22 Feb 2006 by Erika Borsos

2.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant content, poorly produced copy full of typos
Published on 10 Jun 2011 by Terhi Riekkola

5.0 out of 5 stars As beautiful today as in 1913 when It was published, 22 Feb 2006
This review is from: Gitanjali (Paperback)
Tagore is my favorite poet, he approaches the deepest most spiritual aspects of life with simplicity, grace, and reverence. Using the imagery of nature, he connects the reader to the truth of living, being, experiencing this world in all its myriad of forms. His poems touch depths within the soul of the reader in unexpected and unimaginable ways ...
Perhaps at the end of the day, the reader can concur with the words of Tagore in poem # 16: "I have had my invitation to life's festival, and my life has been blessed. My eyes have seen and my ears have heard. It was my part to play upon my instrument, and I have done all I could. Now, I ask, has the time come at last when I may go in and see thy face and offer thee my salutations."
Excerpts from Poem # 57 "The butterflies spread their sails on the sea of light. Lilies and jasmines surge up on the crest of the waves of light. The light is shattered into gold on every cloud, my darling, and it scatters gems into profusion. Mirth spreads from leaf to leaf, my darling, and gladness without measure."
Poem # 90 "On the day when death will knock at thy door what wilt thou offer him?"
Erika Borsos (bakonyvilla)

5.0 out of 5 stars Poems about Life, 19 May 1999
This review is from: Gitanjali (Paperback)
These are the poems that won Tagore the Nobel Prize for literature. They are poems with simple themes, revolving around our day to day actions, our everyday thoughts, the rainbow of emotions that every human has the capacity to feel. And with all these he connects us to God, and the poems entwine man and God with its simplicity and truth. Gitanjali = (Geet)+(Anjali) - an offering of songs to the Almighty.

4.0 out of 5 stars Cross-cultural understanding, 9 Feb 1998
This review is from: Gitanjali (Paperback)
Tagore is a wonderful example of merging of cultures - for example one of the prose poems is the reflections of the Samaritan women at the well after her encounter with Jesus. Yet other poems reveal the eroticism of longing that one associates with Indian bhakti poets such as Mirabai; others seem to long for a God without form as one associates with Kabir. Tagore thus represents the acceptance of some things Western while retaining a distinctively South Asian bent. The poems themselves are excellent and wide ranging - a few are not specifically religious or spiritual. An excellent book to read to enjoy either the Nobel prize winner Tagore or as an introduction to bhakti (devotional) poetry as a whole.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lifes philosophy made simple by The Master, 21 Nov 1999
This review is from: Gitanjali (Paperback)
The most beautiful thoughts of mans journey through love and life ultimately meeting the maker I hope that you find the same beauty and inspiration for life as I have found in this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lyrical Metaphysics, 24 Jun 2011
Dr. Bojan Tunguz (Indiana, USA) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Gitanjali (Paperback)
I've heard of Rabindranath Tagore and his poetry ever since I the fifth grade when my literature teacher used to quote him on an occasion. At the time I didn't understand much of what those poems were about, but was interested in reading eventually reading them on my own. Over the years I had not though much about it, but in recent years my interest in poetry has been rekindled. When I came across several of his poetry collection on Amazon I decided to take a look at them and see what the hype was all about.

Tagore was the first non-European to win the Nobel Prize. Unfortunately, Nobel Prize in literature has had a rather checkered history. Many of its early recipients are largely forgotten today, and many of the recent prizes have been given for political, rather than literary, reasons. I approached Tagore's poems with a grain of salt, but my skepticism proved to be unwarranted. His poetry is of the highest caliber, and his literary reputation is well deserved. He is not read much in the English-speaking world any more, which is a shame. He deserves to be rediscovered and his poetry reintroduced to the new generation of readers.

The poetry of Gitanjali is largely metaphysical, portraying individual's union with the transcendental reality. The themes and the language of Gitanjali, however, are crafted in terms of a series of love poems. In this respect Gitanjali may be compared to the "Song of Songs." It is an exquisitely woven tapestry of innermost thoughts and aspirations, and it takes the reader on a journey of personal actualization and discovery. At times the poems may seem opaque and it's not always easy to discern what Tagore was getting at, but this challenge only serves to accentuate the pleasure of reading. This is a masterful collection that due to its theme will remain relevant and timeless for many years to come.

2.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant content, poorly produced copy full of typos, 10 Jun 2011
This review is from: Gitanjali (Paperback)
Gitanjali is one of my favourite works of poetry of all time, and I was glad to finally find a copy to replace an earlier one I'd lost. However, after a few pages I realised this was a poorly proofread version (if it had been proofread at all). There are typos everywhere and they seriously jar with the reading experience, and in some cases the typos change the meanings of the verses entirely. I realise it's a cheapo version that's been printed from an online transcript, but that's still no excuse to omit proofreading. If you're looking for an accurate edition where the poems read as they should, stay away from this one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Yay fabulous, 26 Feb 2014
This review is from: Gitanjali (Paperback)
I'm Bengali so of course this is gonna be amazing.

turned up weeks late

good print, handy sized, read everyday on the bus

5.0 out of 5 stars interesting, 6 Dec 2011
a totally different read, but well worth the effort. A must for romantic poetry lovers. Easy to pick up and put down due to the style of many small poems, all linked to make a story.

4.0 out of 5 stars a page a day, 29 Nov 2011
This review is from: Gitanjali (Paperback)
Rabundranath Tagore writes with insight and with grace and shares his thoughts so clearly that one page a day is sufficient for reflection and prayer....

Gitanjali
Gitanjali by Rabindranath Tagore (Paperback - 15 Mar 2004)
4.99