5.0 out of 5 stars Magic
Published on 13 Jan 2011 by bondy

2.0 out of 5 stars NOT TO BE USED AS AN INTRODUCTION TO VEDIC MATHEMATICS
IT IS NOT A BOOK FOR THE BEGINNER!
IT IS NOT A BOOK FOR SOMEONE WHO LIKES CLEAR, ORGANISED AND UNSHOEHORNED WRITTEN INFORMATION!
IT IS NOT A BOOK FOR SOMEONE WHO DOESN'T WISH TO LEARN SUTRA TERMINOLOGY!

Published 17 months ago by PH "Here to Help"

2.0 out of 5 stars NOT TO BE USED AS AN INTRODUCTION TO VEDIC MATHEMATICS, 2 May 2013
This review is from: Vedic Mathematics (Paperback)
IT IS NOT A BOOK FOR THE BEGINNER!
IT IS NOT A BOOK FOR SOMEONE WHO DOESN'T WISH TO LEARN SUTRA TERMINOLOGY!

I've only recently purchased this book. The descriptions can be confusing and end at a point when you need them to continue. Granted, not all of the book is like this. Unfortunately, too much of it is. The authour refers to the names of sutras to explain how something works, thus, you need to learn these sutra names.

There are sections in the book where the average person may need a dictionary to understand some of the words that are used.

I couldn't face trying to work through the entire book. I only wanted to learn different/easier ways to look at math problems and thought that going to the source of 'Vedic Math' would be a good place to start. I'm now stuck with a book that I will probably never use and several pounds out of pocket.

If only it was compulsary for the sellers of every book to make pages of the book advertised viewable!

5.0 out of 5 stars Magic, 13 Jan 2011
This review is from: Vedic Mathematics (Paperback)
You have to be a certain kind of person to get excited about these formulas. After all you can buy a calculator for a few pounds that will do all these calculations in seconds. But that is not the point. The pure symmetry and beauty of the Vedics is stunning. Just as the planets circle the sun with exact precision, these formulas that date back thousands of years are a thing of wonder and almost mystical. If you have time on your hands this is fascinating fodder.

4.0 out of 5 stars very informative, 8 Oct 2000
By A Customer
This review is from: Vedic Mathematics (Paperback)
Truly inspirational book. As a mathematician this book has made me think about the true origins of basic number theory. The worked examples are clearly presented and are very easy to follow.
An explaination of their sanskrit origin would have been very useful.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Book That Can Change Your Life, 21 Mar 2013
TheAristocrat (Gloucestershire, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Vedic Mathematics (Paperback)
It's been a long and drawn out battle to commit Mathematics. My maths skills were never very good, average I would say. I had always wanted to remedy this, but found numerous texts very frustrating and unrewarding. This book however has changed all of that. It has completely altered my perception of the subjected and significantly boosted my skills as it has armed my work ethic with the heaviest of artillery. I can finally commit to something free from doubt that I can see i bolstering my fundamentals and will take me exactly where I want in future. I simply could not have done this with any other body of work, not even Trachtenberg's work.

Just an aside; I have noted quite a bit of criticism regarding the language used in this book. Certainly, it is not the kind of English you will hear today, but it's by no means poorly written or cumbersome. As a student of English literature and six other languages including Latin, I know bad writing when I see it and this is not it. If you are struggling to understand this book then please take a look at your own English! It's funny that none of the critics consider that their poor English, made obvious in their posts, could be the obstacle.

The book is beautifully illustrated, presented, written and as wholesome as can be. If you are having trouble in mathematics then it's quite likely that, such as myself before purchase, your fundamentals are not where they should be. This is the book to provide a way forward and beyond the scope of anything you ever thought possible for yourself! It's been the foundation in a movement which has changed my life. 5 stars.

3.0 out of 5 stars Exceptional Content, Convoluted Presentation, 27 July 2009
Kushal (Leicester, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Vedic Mathematics (Paperback)
The logic is flawless but I'm struggling through - it's a much older style of writing, the kind used in grammar schools and universities in India - a style of language that is no longer used over here in the west, which makes the book difficult to read. Technically the writing is correct but the style often makes explanations unclear. Strunk & White would not approve! Apart from that the book is very, very advanced in it's mathematical content and anyone, at any level would benefit from the teachings.

5.0 out of 5 stars Vedic Mathematics, 2 Dec 2012
John D Gilmour (Ayr, Ayrshire United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Vedic Mathematics (Paperback)
Some will complain the author’s style is pedantic and old fashioned: As he died in 1960 that shouldn’t come as a huge surprise. To me it only adds to the glory of his exposition. If you were put off maths by the mental burden it imposed, unnecessarily, and you would rather develop your mental potential than always rely on a calculator, this is the book for you. Timeless wisdom indeed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Ideal product for anyone interested in mathematics, 23 Aug 2013
This review is from: Vedic Mathematics (Paperback)
I found this quite exciting to a certain point and got quite surprised when I could master some of the problems then I would have to admit that it got slowly beyond me at the high class stages.

Charles W. Welch

Vedic Mathematics
Vedic Mathematics by Bharati Krsna Tirthaji (Paperback - Aug 1990)