5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars

1.0 out of 5 stars Do not buy this version
Published 14 months ago by Mr. Thomas M Gran

1.0 out of 5 stars Do not buy this version, 2 Mar. 2014
This review is from: The Old Man and the Sea (Paperback)
I bought this particular version of The Old Man and the Sea because I liked the cover. When it arrived I discovered that it was a shoddy printing on cheap paper and the cover was a low-resolution scan. The whole book bends, the type is huge and I haven't bothered to read it yet but as far as I can tell it's at least 20-30 pages too short. Save yourself some money and buy a different, properly printed version.

1.0 out of 5 stars It's not what you think!, 22 Mar. 2015
This review is from: The Old Man and the Sea (Paperback)
This is not a traditionally sized and published book. Please consider the measurements of the book carefully. The front cover is shiny and the illustration and title are pixelated. I'm not sure whether this is down to artistic choice or otherwise, but it does look a little odd. The whole thing is more akin to a booklet, rather than a book. I've returned this. I'll be purchasing another version instead.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as it seems., 2 Jan. 2015
This review is from: The Old Man and the Sea (Paperback)
It's a wonderful novel from one of my favourite authors, but this edition is not quite as it seems in the pictures. The book is not an old slightly creased edition (as it looks) but a brand new laminated pamphlet-style book with a poorly scanned and printed cover made to resemble an old edition. It's a small point, but as I bought it as a gift I was a little disappointed when it arrived!

1.0 out of 5 stars Bitter disappointment, 5 Aug. 2014
This review is from: The Old Man and the Sea (Paperback)
I second the reviews above. I went for this because of the cover, I was hoping for a traditional copy, and a satisfying book to hold, particularly with such a classic, and Hemmingway. Bitterly disappointed with the pamphlet that arrived. I will still read it, but it won't have the same satisfaction or enjoyment.

1.0 out of 5 stars Ditto to everything above., 20 Oct. 2014
B. Potter - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Old Man and the Sea (Paperback)
Nothing original to this review, bought for the cover and nothing but regret. It's an over-enlarged photo, with a spineless text and a very odd size - somewhere between A5 and A4. Just avoid this copy unless those are exactly the sorts of things you look for in a book.

1.0 out of 5 stars Avoid, 7 April 2014
This review is from: The Old Man and the Sea (Paperback)
Great novel, but quality of the book is very poor. Looks like it was printed in somebody's home using a standard computer printer. Spend the small amount extra and get a better edition.

1.0 out of 5 stars cheap copy of the original artwork, 19 April 2015
This review is from: The Old Man and the Sea (Paperback)
A very poor photocopied and pixilated cover which was somewhat disappointing.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 23 July 2014
best short story of all time

1.0 out of 5 stars Not for the story but the book, 17 Mar. 2014
This review is from: The Old Man and the Sea (Paperback)
As I was off to Cuba, I was reading a few books based in the country (Graham Green, Carlos Acosta). I went for this book as I love the cover - and Hemmingway is the 'daddy' in Cuba. However, what I received was a poor imitation. It was more of a pamphlet: A5 with poor cover reproduction, abysmal typesetting and flimsy cover. It appeared to be produced by Amazon.

Unfortunately, I only read a few pages as this experience had completely ruined my sense of expectation and excitement - I love reading books for the turning of the pages and the general feel of them in my hand. However, it's found a good home:I left it, with a handful of other books, in an independent cafe/English lending library in Havana.

The Old Man and the Sea
The Old Man and the Sea by Ernest Hemingway (Paperback - 5 Sept. 2013)