5.0 out of 5 stars Great for Chinese language students, 29 Aug 2013
This review is from: The Besieged City (Paperback)
This is a really good book for Chinese language students. Most reading material for intermediate students is short texts that don't differ much from what you'd find in a text book. This is an actual novel simplified for the student with vocabulary translations, pinyin, and comprehension questions in Chinese at the end of each chapter.

Even with the vocabulary I found there were still some words that I had to look up. Some parts of the story were harder than others but overall I was able to read the whole thing. It is very satisfying to have read a novel in Chinese, even if it was a simplified student edition.

The text of the novel did feel that like the story had been simplified perhaps a bit too much. All the events were there but it seemed to lack much emotion. I'm going to find a full English translation of the novel and read that to see what I missed. But I still really enjoyed this. I read a chapter a day and finished it in just under two weeks. I shall definitely see if I can get the other books in this series as they are really good practice.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Book!, 20 April 2012
Mr. N. Smith (Cheshire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Besieged City (Paperback)
Purchased this book awhile back and it is in both Pinyin and characters which is great! The audio cd that comes with the book is very good and the narrators voice is very clear. I noticed there are a couple of reading mistakes, but this is no problem at all.

Overall great a very good book!

The Besieged City
The Besieged City by Qian Zhongshu (Paperback - Jun 2008)
9.95