5.0 out of 5 stars *****WONDERFUL- a banquet for the Imagination*****
Published on 25 Sep 2000

3.0 out of 5 stars "Does it come with gravy...?"
I remember watching this film when it first came out and I loved it, but watching it again with my children recently I wasn't quite as struck on it as I was before.

Published on 27 April 2009 by @GeekZilla9000

5.0 out of 5 stars *****WONDERFUL- a banquet for the Imagination*****, 25 Sep 2000
By A Customer
Superb animation , combined with the vocal skills of Joanna Lumley and Miriam Margoyles. My 5 year old with the "attention span of a gnat" was enthralled and absolutely quiet for the entire movie. A wonderful adaptation of Roald Dahl's classic. From the begining where James is under the thumb of his cruel aunts, through the magical journey with his fellow insect friends and his arrival in New York we were all captivated. A film that crosses both age and gender barriers. What more can I say.

4.0 out of 5 stars Captivating and fun..., 25 July 2005
...are just two words I would use to describe this. I saw it yesterday for the first time, and was amazed how much fun it was. Great characterisation and animation, and the little boy is just scrummy!
My favourite (apart from James) was the Centipede, as I LOVE Richard Dreyfuss in anything. He was such a wise guy....
"That'll teach you to mess with me, you overgrown sardine - I'm from Brooklyn!"
How much I enjoyed this film just goes to show that I'm a big kid - 37 going on 7!

3.0 out of 5 stars "Does it come with gravy...?", 27 April 2009
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)

The story itself is fantastic and I'd like to think that a lot of children will already be familiar with the Roald Dhal classic about a unfortunate young boy who finds sanctuary from his evil aunties by adventuring with insect companions on a massive peach.

Obviously with any translation to screen, a book is going to be adapted to fit the movie - it is Americanised, but the principle cast ensure that it doesn't feel as though it's at a great cost to the film. But the story itself isn't as edgy as the book, the film relies more on the insect characters and of those only two stand out as interesting; the New Yorker Caterpillar (voiced by Richard Dreyfuss) and the worm. The worm is played by the unmistakable voice of David Thewlis - and to be honest he is the star of the film in my opinion, but then I'm perhaps biased as I'm a Thewlis fan, but when did you ever see him give a dud performance?

James and the Giant Peach becomes a fun musical, but apart from the song 'Eating the Peach' the soundtrack is jaunty but never catchy. You watch this and feel that it was perhaps all done to a higher standard in the brilliant The Nightmare Before Christmas. If the songs had been of a higher quality then this would have been a fantastic family film - but as it stands, it's not bad.

1.0 out of 5 stars Misleading purchase, 14 Feb 2014
The DVD will not play as it is from America and therefore not compatible with our DVD player, This should be stated on the information as I now have a DVD that can not be played and very disappointed Grandchildren.

1.0 out of 5 stars Beware this does not play in the UK!!!!, 27 Dec 2013
A very disappointed child on Christmas Day, this was top of Santa list. This was posted to a UK address so you would think before this product is sold the manufacturer would advise

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic family film!, 18 Nov 2011
Mrs. C. M. Mitchell (Devon,UK) - See all my reviews
Definitely a genuine DVD not a copy, which is a worry when you buy DVDs online I know! Arrived quickly and safely too.
Great film, as all Roald Dahl films are! Bought this after my daughter read the book for the first time and loved the story. Film is a mix between live-action and animation and is what you expect from any other Tim Burton film! Fabulous fun!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Film, 26 Oct 2011
Received with thanks ! Perfect my son loves this film, arrived within expected delivery due dates.
No hassle at all with this order

5.0 out of 5 stars Charming, 26 Aug 2011
Again another big screen adaptation of a Roald Dahl classic and stands up there with the BFG and recently the fantastic mr fox. I think I enjoyed this more than my son but hope he will grow to love this too.

4.0 out of 5 stars James and the Giant Peach, 20 Jun 2011
Excellent DVD - I've been reading the book with the children and it's good to be able to watch it AFTER we've read it. The children now understand that sometimes the film doesn't stick to the story in the book!

5.0 out of 5 stars A hint of Jack & the Bean Stalk maybe?, 24 Sep 2009
Roald Dahl is a great writer and this is a great adaptation. Very true to the book except the Chapter about the snow giants throwing things at the peach seems to have been left out. The film starts out as real film footage, with Joanna Lumely making a terrifying Aunt Spiker. Once the 'magic' has had its full effect on the 2 wicked aunts', miserable looking peach tree, the screen play switches to the most wonderful animation. Full of disaster and triumph. Still as engaging as it always was, with a sense of mild threat running through it (the rhinocerous that has eaten James's parents appears to be stalking the peach). I can see that some small children might find it scary. But me and Charlie (age3 and a half) love it! I also use the film rather than the book, to talk about "James and The Giant Peach" with 7-8 year olds who find reading the book too much of a challenge.

James & Giant Peach (Spec) [DVD] [1996] [US Import]