on 6 May 2001
I don't care that this film has had bad reviews, or that lots of people don't like it. I watched it at the cinema last year and absolutely loved it. I know I'm a hopeless romantic, but it had me crying solidly for the last half an hour or so. Anyone who knows how hard it is to say goodbye to someone you really care about will understand this film.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
"Down to You" is a romantic comedy that insists on substituting style for substance at key moments in the proceedings. It wants to take a cute approach to a serious relationship, as Al (Freddie Prinze, Jr.) and Imogen (Julia Stiles) do a retroactive post mortem on their relationship. The problem, as they both confide to the audience, is that they were too young when they met each other, implying that if only the timing was right the relationship would be right. The tagline for this film was "A new comedy about giving first love a second chance," which goes beyond the boundaries of either description or foreshadowing enough to warrant losing a star on the rating on that basis alone.
Al and Imogen meet at a bar and click immediately, which seems to be more of a surprise to him than to her. She has sworn off dating so can enjoy her college experience, but she is not about to let a rule make her pass on Al who she considers to be cute. He has some strange dorm friends (Selma Blair, Shawn Hatosy, Zak Orth and Rosario Dawson) who want him to swear off on Imogen, but he manages to ignore them most of the time. Meanwhile, the damage caused by his famous chef father (Henry Winkler in a nice turn, with Lucy Arnaz as his wife) does not seem to be too bad since he has the family cooking gene, but we have to wait a long time in this movie for him to grow up enough to be almost good enough for her.
Director-writer Kris Isacsson has two personable performers but never really does right by them. She is the more serious of the pair (it will be a long time before Stiles is ever the flighty one in a romantic comedy; it takes a Jason Bourne to get her to back down in a film), and he never really succeeds in bridging the gap to the point where we believe these two have a real chance. Al is just not in her league. The problem is that ultimately this is not a cute film about a serious relationship but a cute film about a cute relationship, and that can be fraught with danger, especially when songs get used to cover up the problems. When the character of Monk in this film becomes the voice of reason, you know the train has left the tracks.
TOP 50 REVIEWERon 24 February 2015
I really liked this movie!

It takes you on a journey from first boy/girl meeting, through all the stages their relationship goes through, from honeymoon phase and beyond. Both Freddie Prinze Jr and Julia Stiles do a great job in this movie. I like movies like this one where they use the "actor speaks to camera" bit, as if the viewer is a friend they're talking to.

I found Down to You to be sweet, teenagey, light (as opposed to heavy, serious or deep), and it kept me interested throughout. I suppose my one critisicm would be that I found some of the scenes a little confusing: Example - there were a few scenes when suddenly someone was upset and I didn't quite understand why. And also there's a scene (the one with choosing between wine goblets) which didn't make sense to me even when I watched it back again to check if I was missing something. But aside from that the vast majority of the film was clear and easy to follow. On the whole, the movie is upbeat with a cute, feel-good ending. :)
on 4 February 2002
Although it seems that everyone else has grand designs for what is essentially a 'chick flick', I was taken by the film. Don't expect 'The Madness of King George', or anything that you can bang on about at the hip cafes, because its NOT THAT TYPE OF FILM. Its an enjoyable film that you can quite easily watch on a Tuesday evening, when there is nothing on the tele. And yes, both of the actors have done better, but yes, the soundtrack is rather good. And Selma Blair is quite good in it.
In short, all I say is don't expect something deep and meaningful, but do expect a nice, watchable film.
on 4 August 2004
This IS a strange film. Initially I watched it because I liked Julia Stiles' other films, however gradually throughout the film I began to like Freddie Prinze Jr too. People can get allsorts out of a film, and sometimes the best films are ones that most people rubbish, but thats because they dont understand them. This could well be one of those films. The plot is strange, but you can see the lead character Imogen struggling to find her identity within a couple. I personally struggled to understand her committment to the relationship (until the end) - but can you tell me everyone it enthusiastic about their relationship? I'd say try it - you don't have to understand it to find something appealing about it.
on 29 June 2006
I first saw this film the other week on the tv, and its not a film i had heard of nor seen before, but after seeing this film i was hooked and had to buy it, so i went ahead and purchased it, and its a film which never looses its touch, i have watched it a few times already and every time it has been as good if not better than the last. A true romeo, Juliet type love film which starts with an almost love at first sight senario, and thoughout the film is sweet to the core, perfect love, and just makes you wanna go arghh. Great acting from Julia Stiles and Freddie Prince Jr.
on 18 June 2014
Almost discarded this after reading some of the reviews but am glad I didn't.

It was light and amusing as a romantic comedy should be. The talking to which another reviewer referred didn't irritate and added to rather than distracted from the movie.

Recommended for light viewing :-)
on 22 August 2001
I stupidly bought this dvd after seeing the very well put together trailer. I thought it would be really romantic and sweet - it is, don't get me wrong, but I just hate the style of it. The two main characters are not at all endearing and the depiction of university life is so untrue. Unless you go or went to a university where everyone wears ball gowns and talk as if they're in a shakespeare play. The acting is really wooden and I know Freddie and Julia can do better because I've seen it! This film is so boring that I struggled to watch it all the way through the first time so I doubt I'll ever watch it again! Maybe it will be your cup of tea but it wasn't mine. Basically if you like films like American Pie and Road Trip and you expect this to be as funny and romantic then you'll be bitterly dissapointed. However if gloomy and kind of artistic films are your thing you may enjoy this. It reminds me slightly of Cruel Intentions in it's style but unfortunately it is no way near as good!
on 22 May 2013
Superb item, i would recommend this item, I love this item which i purchased, i would consider this item without a doubt
on 6 October 2013
a great film, the acting may be wanting, but the narrative is fantastic, seriously - everyone should watch this movie!