VINE VOICEon 27 January 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I had read some information on the Web about raspberry ketones are supposed to work - by increasing levels of adiponectin (which cannot be taken as a supplement) and some other related effects, dietary fat should be oxidised and converted to glucose more quickly, giving greater energy. Levels of the hormone are inversely correlated with body fat percentage in adults. It plays a role in the suppression of the metabolic derangements that may result in type 2 diabetes, obesity, atherosclerosis, and non-alcoholic fatty liver disease. Adiponectin in combination with leptin has been shown to completely reverse insulin resistance in mice. (Thanks, Wikipedia.)

I am considered at risk for these conditions, especially since developing illnesses that make me sedentary through permanent exhaustion. If raspberry ketones actually can increase blood adiponectin, I thought, they could do me a lot of good. Best of all, it seemed they might give me some energy.

Of course, I made the classic numpty mistake of reading all the good stuff without looking for the bad! It should have been obvious that, if they can perform the above feats, raspberry ketones are a powerful drug. And, if they can speed up the metabolism like this, there's a good chance they're putting stress on the metabolic processes.

It emerges that raspberry ketones also increase levels of norepinephrine (noradrenalin), a stress hormone responsible for 'vigilant concentration'. As the main driver for the fight-or-flight response, this hormone triggers energy surges from glucose release, suppresses the appetite and increases the heart rate. Again, pretty good for a healthy body looking to lose some weight ... but not for patients taking norepinephrine re-uptake inhibitors. I'm on the SNRI antidepressant Venlafaxine, which already raises norepinephrine levels; it is known to increase risk of heart disease. On top of that, stressing the metabolism in this way can have permanently harmful effects on the thyroid (it can fool the nervous system into thinking there's more than enough thyroid hormone in the system - reduced thyroid activity over an extended period leads to dormancy in the gland, with potentially severe effects.) I have an underactive thyroid, for which I take levothyroxine. This medication is also a risk factor for heart problems.

If raspberry ketones work, then, they shouldn't be taken for more than a few weeks due to the thyroid danger. They shouldn't be taken at all by patients on thyroxine or SNRIs, or anyone with heart problems. I'm afraid I can't tell you if they work, as I'm experiencing tachycardia and palpitations and don't want to take the risk! There is some peer-reviewed work suggesting raspberry ketones can help with weight loss and protect against Type 2 diabetes. But with increased risk of heart attack and thyroid disorder? That's quite a price - either they don't work or, if they do, they're dangerous. I'm afraid we should all cut down on carbs instead!
VINE VOICEon 15 October 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I did lose some weight taking this product but my blood pressure was much higher than before and I felt jittery as if I had too much caffeine? I'd try again with a lower dose I think
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I had been on a standard calorie-controlled diet regime set up by a dietician for some time and was not losing much weight - a pound or so a fortnight. I have continued with that diet regime while taking this supplement for two weeks continuously now, and I can honestly say the rate of weight loss has not increased at all. In fact it seems to have slowed down if anything; in the two weeks I have lost less than a pound. I will continue till the entire supply has gone and update this review then if there has been any change, but so far it seems a total waste of time. On top of that, the capsules leave a distinct taste of raspberry in the mouth (which, since you are supposed to take them before a meal, can make your food taste decidedly odd) and are very large, making them hard to swallow.

Update: having taken the full course I am convinced I lost exactly as much weight as I would have using just the calorie-controlled diet regime on its own. Don't waste your money.
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
OK, so in a time when we're all not only looking to lose weight but to make sure that we're healthier, getting something to help you keep the fat off seems like a good idea. So when my other half heard about this product on vine, she wanted me to order it for her to try.

Now whilst I'm a little dubious about these claims, when I'm told its natural and helps do what you want its worth a go. Yet over a few weeks in, this product doesn't seem to be helping in the slightest apart from giving her a bit of repeating acid. That's it, the promises made are quite extreme and to be honest I think a more carefully controlled diet with qualtity food products that are home made with exercise are going to do a lot more.

All round a gret disappointment and don't let this thing suck you in.
Pharmavits 600mg Extreme raspberry ketones Vitamin Supplement

I am 64 ( going on 65) , male and I have been Type II diabetic for at least 15 years but additionally use insulin for sugar control
This use of synthetic insulin has the side effect of making the control of weight extremely difficult and the damage to limb muscles is serious risk so ANY ( safe) serious weight loss therapy is to be considered , evaluated for safety / risk/ efficacy.
Raspberry ketone (natural) is the odour chemical from raspberries and cranberries and extremely expensive if naturally extracted. Its synthetic version of the chemical 4 - hydroxyphenyl butanone is what, I believe, is used in flavourings and in these capsules. The evidence for metabolic effects and weight loss weight loss (according to the literature for raspberry ketone) is based solely on animal studies , which may or may not be reproduced in human metabolism. I am naturally sceptical of so called " natural" claims although I know that many materials developed form the natural world ( often the cheaper , synthetic variants) have beneficial effects as supplements or even drugs. NOTE that some of the most potent poisons in this world are also "natural"
So to the tablets which have a higher dose of the ketone than in the natural world.
( I have found previously that small quantities of raw cranberries in my diet had some positive effects on glucose control although a regular diet of raspberries had little effect ).
Tablets received ( 60 tablets in a small pack RRP £39) on 30th December .The recommended dose is 2 tablets per day - 1 each before breakfast and lunch. One is advised to contact ones GP - especially if taking other medications or are pregnant .The tablets are NOT for anyone under 18.These tablets received have a best before date of Aug 2015.There are no other specific warnings.
I use natural fruits ( like raspberries or cranberries) as part of the " fruit" part of my natural diet but these give very low doses of RK

I have been monitoring blood sugar ( 4 x daily) and food intake daily for several months as part of a medical study , so I could see quickly any RK effects.
My heart rate tended to increase ( norepinephrine release?) which also pushed up my blood pressure and blood sugar levels , despite using compensating levels of insulin. .
There was no apparent effect on weight loss and I suspended taking further tablets until I had a chance for detailed review with my doctor. Blood sugar has not returned to normal even with increased insulin.
Not sure how to rate the effects of this product - it did not work for me on a short timescale and the side effects seemed to me to be unacceptable
If on medication , use with extreme care and seek medical advice before using.
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
The pack supplied contains enough tablets for a month and you are instructed to take one before breakfast and one before lunch.
I have been taking these for a month now and I have lost some weight, but I have also been eating more healthily and exercising, as so many of us do in the weeks and months after Christmas!

I found the very large tablets quite difficult to take, particularly first thing in the morning and did not feel like eating in the morning after taking it (although I must confess I am not the most instinctive breakfast eater!), but I'm not sure that it made much difference at lunchtime in terms of my appetite. I did feel a bit of a zing of energy - but I don't know whether this was just placebo effect or the effect of eating less refined foods and being more energetic through increased exercise.

Until someone independent can show that this has or does not have any effect, I think it is hard to tell - but I am all for anything that encourages people as they try and lose weight, provided that they realise that this is not a miracle cure and that healthy eating and exercise are key and indeed essential for better health!
TOP 500 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon 20 February 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I got to know of this through a friend and my interest was piqued when I saw it on the vine request. It is promoted as a weight loss pill and a vitamin for well being.
On that score I can report it gives a general feeling of well being when taken such as increased energy and good digestive health. The instruction is take two capsule daily and before food. I did this religiously with other vitamin and fell back into my habit of taking them when I remember,not everyday,but the sense of well being and increased energy lasted. I did not loose much weight while on it and I think on its own you will not achieve considerable weight loss unless you combine it with exercise and healthy eating.I will probably buy it again
VINE VOICEon 11 January 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I ordered this product largely out of curiosity -possibly with a slightly ironical nod to the fact that following the Christmas period, I would have to keep an eye on the diet. Still, I am not especially overweight (a few lbs only) and can lose that easily enough without artificial aids. For that reason, I haven't had any of the myriad pills, potions or implements that are purported to aid weight loss through here before, but since raspberry ketone seems to be the current fad, I thought I'd get some to at least cast an eye over.

The positive is that this comes in quite a flat plastic bottle that appears reasonably well made and doesn't take up much space. The label is not especially forthcoming about the contents, other than to note a couple of general recommendations about how & when to take them (basically in the morning). So in the absence of information, I took to the internet, and called an acquaintance who works in a medical library to see if he could dig some information up. The condensed version of which follows.

Firstly, to the best of my research there is no clinical evidence whatsoever to support the weight-loss claims for raspberry ketone in humans. A handful of small-scale trials have suggested it might have some effect in mice and rats, but even those were not what you could call large, let alone conclusive. The relative dosage levels given to the unfortunate rodents also appears to be far in excess of what you'll get in any supplement bottle. Please do not take that as a recommendation to quaff huge quantities, because that brings us neatly to sunny point number two. Being sold as a supplement, products of this kind are not required to go through clinical trials either to prove the claims made for them (see above), or their safety. Yes, the second point sounds very Daily Mail, and no, I'm not suggesting it's probable that you'll grow an extra head. Or explode. But currently, it appears that the long-term safety of raspberry ketone in doses of this size is unknown. Small quantities are considered safe in many places for other things -perfume etc., for cooking or cosmetic products. Much larger quantities? Very little data as yet. No doubt there are other things which are more likely to do damage, long term. Nevertheless, it's something you may want to keep in mind, especially given the total lack of objective proof that it actually does result in weight-loss for humans. Objective proof does not constitute somebody howling about how they've lost a couple of lbs when taking it as part of a calorie controlled diet. Or advertising claims. Or endorsements. You need statistically significant data from properly conducted objective trials for that. Call me old fashioned if you like, but I prefer to base choices about products of this kind on proper evidence. In the current absence of which, I can only suggest that if you wish to buy this or a similar product, before clicking on the 'purchase' button, ignore all marketing / advertising and check to see what the current clinical status is. It's not difficult; a quick internet search should give you the basic information out there on the substance itself. That way you will make an informed choice.
VINE VOICEon 27 February 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
That's all I can say really, I took them as directed and noticed no effects whatsoever. A little disappointed but not really surprised...they are an expensive experiment so proceed with caution!
VINE VOICEon 28 January 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I have honestly no idea whether these capsules work or not.Like thousands of others I've been on a bit of a diet since the start of the year and have cut right down on cheese,chocolate and bread and have managed to lose about 5 pounds.I lost weight before I took these capsules and I continued to lose weight during the time I took them and have lost weight since I stopped,so who knows?All I can say is,they taste pleasantly of raspberry,but I think if you really want to lose weight the only surefire way is to eat less fats and sugars and exercise more.It's working for me.