on 16 August 2008
This CD came as a surprise to me, for several reasons. Firstly, although I admire Bud Powell, he has never been one of my very favourite jazz pianists. Secondly, this record was made in 1962 in Lausanne, towards the end of Bud's career when health problems sometimes marred his work. Also, this recording has only just come to light.
Having said all that, I obviously approached the CD with a certain amount of caution, so the biggest surprise was, that it came as a revelation. Bud sounds in tremendous form in a programme of bop standards, with a couple of unknown musicians on bass and drums, whose support is sympathetic and competent.
Mention is made on the sleeve that the sound quality is not of the best, but it's better than I expected, and in no way mars the performance, so don't be put off!
Every Bud Powell enthusiast should have this record, and I would strongly recommend this to anyone else, who is remotely interested in piano jazz.