4.0 out of 5 stars Not For Beginners, 11 Dec 2009
Carina Nilsen "Carina" (Newcastle United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Japanese for Everyone: A Functional Approach to Daily Communication (Paperback)
The book is pretty good in itself but I recommend you complete Japanese Stage 1 first. Initially you need to know the Hiragana table before being able to understand this book. I am studying it stage 1 now and find that almost at the end of my course I can, with time, understand what I need to do. The Katakana is not that difficult as it is only used for foreign words. It is really easy once you start using it with proper knowledge of the Hiragana, it starts off really well and the small excercises are accompanied by lovely drawings and I think this is a huge plus. The answers are at the back and you can always check it if you are in doubt, after all you do not want to assume you are learning it correctly.

It says to listen to a tape, which did not accompany my order. I had to download these from the Internet and I think this is a bit of a let down - this is why I don't give it the 5stars I really want to. It does have the transcript of the dialogue in the back in Hiragana. So you have to translate that into romaji and then English, its good practice but more hassle than it is worth for some.

A great book.

4.0 out of 5 stars A great help but don't rush it., 15 July 2012
When I bought this book I was extremely pleased to to have found such a complete book (it includes answers to the exercises, scripts of the listening exercises dialogues & an index that at the same time functions as a small dictionary) at such a price. A great book for self study. The book is extremely compact and all the information you will find in it is actually useful. However, if you start rushing through the book, you're going to have a bad time. (See what I did there? xD) As I said all the information in this book is important, if you rush through it and don't revise, you will quickly find yourself confused and hurting yourself. (I'm on fire today! xD) It isn't really a book for beginners either... you better first learn at least Hiragana and know some basic words, that will make it a lot easier to get through the book. Otherwise from these few points I absolutely love this book! The information is practical and the book is divided into 27 lessons, I recommend not doing more than half a lesson today... you won't remember the rest ;P...

5.0 out of 5 stars A thrilled receiver!, 4 Jan 2010
P. Wyatt "Curious reader" (London, Uk) - See all my reviews
Got this as a present for my friend who helped me with other things. He was so thrilled with the speedy delivery. Wonderful to see someone so happy!

Japanese for Everyone: A Functional Approach to Daily Communication