5.0 out of 5 stars A Grea6 Little Book
I actually follow this japanese lady's blog, so was delighted to see her recipe book published. Its set up in a slightly odd but very sensible way -- bento meals are basically 'takeaway' meals, eaten as school or work lunches, or for picnics or similar get-togethers, casual or very grand. (The western equivalent might be a scandinavian smorgsbord, lots of little goodies,...
Published on 21 April 2011 by Mrs. Edella Sutcliffe

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice recipes - ugly format
Beautiful meals with a great deal of Japanese knowhow, but most explanatory pages look drab with the black and white illustrations rather than coloured ones that make up the main plates. Also rather fussy and elaborate for a solo lunch
Published 9 months ago by Lulubeth

5.0 out of 5 stars Full of great ideas for your lunch, 15 Mar 2012
This review is from: The Just Bento Cookbook: Everyday Lunches to Go (Paperback)
This is a great book. I've already tried a few recipes and had some very nice meals! If you eat out a lot (office, school, college, etc.) this book might be useful for you.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fresh food ideas, 11 Mar 2012
Mrs E S Allan (Lincoln, Lincolnshire United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This is my first book about bento boxes, or Japanese cuisine at all, and I'm really impressed by the recipes which are nice and easy to follow, do not (for the most part) require too many, or too obscure, ingredients, and offer some new flavours to make healthy, simple lunches more interesting and fun. I'm trying lots and have had considerable success with a family of fussy eaters, so thanks Makiko Itoh ^-^

5.0 out of 5 stars Very helpful, 2 Jan 2012
Francesco Lanza (Trieste) - See all my reviews
It's a very well detailed book, with a lot of tips on how to solve any hurdle you might fall into while cooking. I follow the author's blog and every time I tried one of her recipes I've always been delighted. This is not necessarily a book on Japanese-only cooking, it's about packing your take-away homecooked meal in a sensible way with a Japanese slant.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great ideas, 19 Dec 2011
I like the way it's presented, and the recipes are good and not hard to follow. What I always like is when they present you other variations on the same dish/bento. That makes it always more interesting than other cookbooks. It's a neat little book if you like to change up the way you probably eat now :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing Lunches, 3 Aug 2011
I recently bought this book, and it goes straight into my top 10 cookery books! Loads of creative ideas for beautiful lunches, and everything I've made so far is really tasty, pus most of it can be frozen if you make batches. The variations given for items is also really good, it makes your lunches even more varied. Fantastic book!

4.0 out of 5 stars Yummy but quite time consuming., 3 July 2012
Beautiful book. I've tried out a number of the recipes now. My husband was thrilled! Delicious food, which is easy to do. However it can be a little time consuming. The japanese way is to plan their evening meals around their Bento box for the next day which obviously cuts the time (and money) commitment considerably. This includes shopping time! This is not quite so easy to do in the UK, unless you are switching on to a japanese diet. The other way of course is to make things in bulk and keep them in the freezer, which is you have the space is the ideal option. However, for us it is a lovely treat from time to time. It's fun and also quite spoiling for picnics and things too.

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy everyday idea for delicious lunches, 9 Feb 2011
Since I became pregnant, I grew a much bigger appetite and the old thrown together lunch sandwich is no longer enough to keep me through the day at work. I decided to pack my own bento lunches that are nutritious, but kind on the budget. Justbento is one of the food blogs I followed, but I have never attempted to make any of the lunches before.

This book is filled with recipes on how to create a varied and delicious lunch box. There are also packing and food safety tips. Bentos in Japan are eaten at room temperature. Therefore, the recipes in the book taste good cold, without a need to reheat in the microwave at work. (I personally don't like over-cooked reheated chicken or vegetables. Therefore this is a plus point for me). You also don't need a fancy Japanese style box to start packing bentos. I use a 600ml square lock and lock box I got from the supermarket.

I've been following the book, packing my own bento lunch box everyday for around a month now. The bentos take around 10-15min to pack/cook in the morning, with some pre-marinating, cutting and washing the night before. There are also recipes suitable for freezing, which I made in batch in the weekends. I'm a fairly competent cook, and can make dinners from scratch every night in around 15-30min. So if you aren't comfortable with cooking, this book probably isn't for you.

4.0 out of 5 stars Its a nice little cookbook, 27 Nov 2011
D. Watson - See all my reviews
I'm not a big fan of the alternating B&W/colour thing but its forgiveable, the recipes are very good and give good tips into what to do when filling a bento box.

It would be nice to have seen a bigger not-so-Japanese section though.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book, 17 Jun 2014
So great packed with lots of ideas, I cannot wait to do it all. Clear, nice and easy to follow

5.0 out of 5 stars Great start, 27 April 2014
This book is full of good ideas, as well as using the recipes it has inspired me to try my own things.

The Just Bento Cookbook: Everyday Lunches to Go
The Just Bento Cookbook: Everyday Lunches to Go by Makiko Itoh (Paperback - 1 Nov 2010)
Used & New from: £6.50