5.0 out of 5 stars A book of historic proportions, 4 July 2008
Dr. Fernando Barrio (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: A Geisha's Journey: My Life As a Kyoto Apprentice (Hardcover)
This is a book of historic proportions, both for the impact on the understanding of Geishas and for the excellence and finesse of the photographic work. Never before a photographer has been allowed to go into the depths of this ancient Japanese tradition as Ogino has gone. The book is bound to become a point of reference for the study of traditional Japanese culture in general and the institution of Geisha in particular.
From the American GIs that allegedly entered Tokyo in 1945 shouting "we want Geishas" until more recent novels and films written and produced by people with a superficial understanding of what being a Geisha implies, this traditional and respectable Japanese institution has been usually subject to an unfair treatment based on the ignorance and misunderstanding of Western observers. While it can be argued that there have been books about the inner world of geikos, those have been written by either those peeping at it or by former members that give their version of their lives without necessarily having a third party's corroboration. This work adds to the study of Geishas and their world because the combination of Ogino's photography and the Geisha-to-be Komomo's commentary produces a unique and powerful tale of the making of a Geisha from the complicity of the photographer and the subject of his work, clarifying some of the misunderstandings and shading new light on what a Geisha really is and really feels. It can be argued that there are some works that become an unavoidable reference for the study of a topic, and A Geisha's Journey is definitively one of them.

4.0 out of 5 stars Delightful photographic insight to a Miyagawacho maiko, 10 April 2008
A. Boyd "shigatsuhana" (West Midlands, UK) - See all my reviews
This book is a must-have for anyone interested in geisha. The pictures are beautiful and at times intimate. But if you looking for something gritty like Mineko Iwasaki's biography, you won't find it here. This book is a delightful photographic journal of the passage to womanhood in the geisha world. Komomo-san seems like a darling and you feel you get to know her somewhat through these enchanting photos. There is no new information here for the seasoned geisha enthusiast, but is still an essential part of anyone's collection.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely Photobook, 1 Dec 2012
This is a lovely book with beautiful colour photographs. There isn't a lot of text, but considering this is a photobook, it would be rather silly to expect that. If you have read many books on geisha before, you won't find new information here.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful Book, 14 April 2012
I'm a documentary photography student and was studying up on other photographers, I have always had a keen interest in Japanese culture and was delighted to find this book online. I can not rate it more, beautiful quality book and stunning images. Also a very interesting read for anyone interested in the Geisha Community or Japanese culture. Highly recommend this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful, fascinating and timeless, 11 Feb 2012
This collection of photographs, together with the fascinating story of a modern, young geisha, are absolutely amazing. The photographer takes us right into the life of a maiko (trainee geisha) and follows her journey to maturity. The pictures alone would make a fascinating and beautiful book. I used this book as research for my own novel Glass Geishas, but learned so much more than I expected in the process. Thank you for taking us into a world we'd never normally see!

5.0 out of 5 stars A beautiful record of a life in colour!, 22 July 2011
I love kimono, geisha and community and lead workshops exploring such things. This is why I bought this book, for some light reading on my part and to provide a gateway into understanding of the colourful and artistic life of a geisha. In this book Komomo explains to us with a lot of warmth the stages she went through as someone aiming to become a Geisha (person of art). To join her from the very word go... i.e. when she was starting think it might be nice, and then follow her all the way through is a delight and privilege. I will certainly use this book as a handy reference in my studies and to introduce the beauty and depth of this life to others

5.0 out of 5 stars What an amazing book, 8 July 2011
What an amazing book, if you have any interest in Geisha or their world you simply have to have it. Such wonderful evocative pictures and charming text, I love it and so will you.

A Geisha's Journey: My Life As a Kyoto Apprentice
A Geisha's Journey: My Life As a Kyoto Apprentice by Komomo (Hardcover - 3 April 2008)