5.0 out of 5 stars A good reference book.
I like to read alot about my chosen art and others as I find martial arts facinate me. If I can take one thing from a book it's done it's job and I managed to with this book. Like my karate I re- visit my books incase I've missed something so I only keep the well written texts in my libary and this is one that I'll never disgaurd.
Published on 18 Mar 2010 by nintai

3.0 out of 5 stars Worth having as a piece of Karate history.
Karate Do Nyumon was Gichin Funakoshi's book for beginners and introduced us to the little practiced Ten No Kata. Ten No Kata is a fantastic tool for teaching fundamentals and introducing beginners to rehearsed kumite. As it is practised on the spot it takes up very little room and can be practised anywhere.

As far as the book goes, that's pretty much it. All...
Published on 6 May 2010 by Andrew O. Brien

3.0 out of 5 stars Worth having as a piece of Karate history., 6 May 2010
This review is from: Karate-do Nyumon: The Master Introductory Text (Paperback)

As far as the book goes, that's pretty much it. All of the stories and background can be found in Karate Do Kyohan which is a far superior work and the stories of Azato and Itosu are repeated in virytually all Funakoshi's work. The techniques displayed in the photographs are for me being a Shotokan karateka, shockingly poor and I shudder at the thought of a complete novice having this book and thinking that what he/she was looking at was good form.

However, this is Funakoshi's text and being a complete karate geek the book, for, me is worth having as a piece of Karate's history only.

5.0 out of 5 stars A good reference book., 18 Mar 2010
This review is from: Karate-do Nyumon: The Master Introductory Text (Paperback)

5.0 out of 5 stars Karate-do Nyumon: The Master Introductory Text..., 25 July 2013
This review is from: Karate-do Nyumon: The Master Introductory Text (Paperback)
There are many books regarding the early life
and training of Funakoshi but I found this one
covers much of the content of the others...

Recommended...

4.0 out of 5 stars For any beginner, 24 Oct 2011
This review is from: Karate-do Nyumon (Hardcover)
This is a an ideal intro book for beginners as it shows some basic katas for punching/blocking/kicking that can be practised anywhere, even in a small room. Also, it is by the great master.

3.0 out of 5 stars Introductory Text, 6 Oct 2007
M. A. Ramos (Florida USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Karate-do Nyumon: The Master Introductory Text (Paperback)
This book begins with history of te and a couple of masters. Of course in Funakoshi style there is no in depth details nor any dates. Ten no Kata is revisited, which is no longer practiced with frequency today. Funakoshi's books were the text book of karate in the early 1940's. Good for their time, but still a good addition to your library.

3.0 out of 5 stars Offers little meaningful insight, 5 Nov 2008
This review is from: Karate-do Nyumon: The Master Introductory Text (Paperback)
This book has historical valuable in as far as it was written by G.F. the founder of Shotokan. However, it retains the staid explanations and tired dogmatisms that so often accompany Shotokan teaching. Shotokan is one of the martial arts that would benefit from a thorough review of its syllabus and pedagogy- the ends of perfection, kime, speed and power are worthy- the means however are often irrelevant. You will get little from this book that can't be gained from several lessons and 10 mins on the web. Generally dissappointing- like much of its peers.

5.0 out of 5 stars Pretty Good, 8 July 1998
By A Customer
This review is from: Karate-do Nyumon: The Master Introductory Text (Paperback)
Myself being a student of Okinawa karatedo and this book being one by the great Funakoshi Gichin himself, I must give it a good rating, because it is a good book. His tales of his teachers are a very good read, and the chapter on Karate in Ryukyu tells people exactly what all these kyusho-jutsu people are telling us now: that there ARE "secret" movements in the kata! (Unfortunately, Funakoshi Sensei does not go into details). :)

Karate-do Nyumon: The Master Introductory Text
Karate-do Nyumon: The Master Introductory Text by Gichin Funakoshi (Paperback - 1 Nov 1994)
Used & New from: 9.40