5.0 out of 5 stars Great variation on his usual books
This is a story without words, good for encouraging interaction in autism, great on understanding the idea of friendship, naming, colours and everything else that Carle does so well.
Published on 24 July 2009 by Love2Read

3.0 out of 5 stars beautiful illustrations... lack of words
Published on 2 Feb 2012 by joanna69

5.0 out of 5 stars Great variation on his usual books, 24 July 2009

5.0 out of 5 stars Story without words, 11 July 2011
My wife and I work extensively with children's groups and often find it hard to explain to parents the difference between 'reading' and 'telling' a story. This book makes the distinction quite clear: there are no written words, so the story has to be 'told'. The pictures are delightful, with every page hinting at the next one, and lots of wild animals to guess. Should prove a favourite with any child able to recognise an elephant, giraffe, lion and so on. This bok should be in every pre-schooler's library.

4.0 out of 5 stars Do you want another Eric Carle picture?, 8 April 2013
Ms. Kayleigh J. Nisbet "kay769" (Derbyshire, United Kingdom.) - See all my reviews
Yes we do, once again a very simplified, easy book for the youngest children. It allows them to build the confidence to talk about their thoughts and feelings and express their own ideas about stories with particular themes and characters. The size, weight and material of the book also allows them to develop physical confidence and ownership in handling storybooks.

5.0 out of 5 stars Has he ever written a bad book????, 5 April 2013
J. Lynch - See all my reviews
Once again Eric Carle has proved to be a big hit with my 4 year old Grand-daughter, she knows most of the books she has of his by heart and loves to tell me the story as I turn the pages.

4.0 out of 5 stars Children love Elmer, 21 Mar 2013
Lovely book for younger children, but mostly picures,not enough actual reading for my grandson who is 6yrs old, but nevertheless
he loves it.

3.0 out of 5 stars beautiful illustrations... lack of words, 2 Feb 2012
I bought this for my autistic son hoping that it might help him as a social story... he loves all of the eric carle books that we have so far, i have found that the other ones that we have do help him see how he "ought" to behave. however, this book only has pictures and so i feel it would be better for a much younger child than him, he prefers to read along as we go, if we were to make up the words to go with the pictures then it just would not hold his interest... lovely lovely illustrations as you would expect!

4.0 out of 5 stars Do you want to be my friend, 31 Jan 2012
This is an unusual book, you can make every story you tell your child a little differently when you use this book to tell a tale
Use the pictures, and if you are prepared to use your imagination, children will love it.
I think a must have in any collection of books for your child

5.0 out of 5 stars great book that allows you to add your own story telling, 16 Nov 2014
You need this in your child's book collection

4.0 out of 5 stars Good book, 24 April 2011
Lovely book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 20 Dec 2014
Great book.

Do You Want To Be My Frien
Do You Want To Be My Frien by Eric Carle (Hardcover - 1 May 1991)
Used & New from: £6.70