4.0 out of 5 stars Readable and user-friendly
Published on 2 Feb 2012 by kapelki2

3.0 out of 5 stars A good overview for beginners
Published 19 months ago by auryx

4.0 out of 5 stars Readable and user-friendly, 2 Feb 2012
This review is from: Complete Guide to Internet Privacy, Anonymity & Security (Paperback)
I hate computers and all technical things. My boyfriend forced me to read this book as he thinks my internet use is reckless. I currently work in a country that heavily blocks access to websites that I need for my work and I also worry about the sensitive data I have on my laptop - so I gave in and decided to check if there's anything that I can do to improve my situation.

I found the book very readable and user-friendly. Some of the book was admittedly over my head, but I learned a number of new things. The book contains a lot of helpful screenshots and its instructions are clearly written. I have already implemented the tips and techniques most relevant to me regarding passwords, web service sign-ups, hard drive encryption, wireless & hotspot internet connections and, most importantly for me, VPN services. I don't use Usenet and probably never will so I only skipped through that chapter, it seemed the most complicated anyway.

As a bonus, I noticed that the book's website does a pretty good job of keeping the materials fresh and up-to-date. For example, the website contained additional recommendations, including for a VPN service that I tried and still happily use. So I will keep an eye on that in the future as well.

All in all, I think it was useful for me to read the book and I would definitely recommend it to others in my situation.

3.0 out of 5 stars A good overview for beginners, 20 Feb 2013
This book provides a good general overview to internet privacy and anonymity for novice to intermediate users. It has a very wide scope, including web browsing, IRC, usenet, mail and so on. However, it doesn't go very deeply into any area for the advanced user and critically, only covers Windows, which is bizarre - surely using a more secure operating system is worth a mention? It's a significant downside to the book, which is otherwise well written and comprehensive.

5.0 out of 5 stars Internet privacy, anonymity & security review, 21 Jun 2012
If you don't know anything about net anonymity this is the book for you. It could have had a few more tips such as firewall rules/protocols and scripts to use to stay hidden but overall it was well worth the money and full of handy info. The service was very fast and efficient.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book, 14 Aug 2013
Indispensable for practitioners. Good balance between readability and details. This book will be useful for computer science specialist, legal practitioners, students. Even ordinary internet user will find a lot of cool stuff.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book, 13 Aug 2013
I really liked the book and think it is on of the best modern books on internet security. The book is written in a plain language and easy to understand. I found helpful many of the links referred to in the book. Chapters 10 `converting your tracks and washing up' and 11 `protecting your identity and IP address with anonymous surfing' were especially useful for me; many of the tips mentioned in these chapters I successfully used in practice.

2.0 out of 5 stars I found it to be like a PC magazine, 23 Sep 2013
Too much advertising on different softwares.I found it useful for somone with no knowledge what so ever about malwares.its worth buying it only to repalce many different PC magazines

Complete Guide to Internet Privacy, Anonymity & Security
Complete Guide to Internet Privacy, Anonymity & Security by Matthew Bailey (Paperback - 30 July 2011)