on 17 October 2006
The one & only Jam compliation album to own. It contains every track, single & album, ever released by the Jam from the In the City days right up to Beat Surrender. Disk 5 also contains a number of different studio versions of certain songs plus a number of previously unheard of studio demo's.

Get your fill of simply the best band in the world!
on 17 September 2015
I have frequently coveted a friend's Long Box-set of 'Direction, Reaction, Creation' for quite some time now and, if I was very lucky and he was feeling generous, then he would put it on and I would be instantly transported back to my early childhood and teenage years listening to the CDs play through in the background to a day usually spent busy DIYing around his new flat.

I don't know why certain bands have such a impact on me but I can very often picture exactly where I was and who I was with on the first and/or the last time that I heard a particular track. For instance, 'A Town Called Malice' was a surprize performance offering to the entire school by our 4th year Secondary School class at Assembly - which went down very well indeed with the other kids but clearly not with most of the teachers or with the headmaster either, who were all expecting us to perform something rather tame out of West Side Story instead! - LOL! ;o>

As I grew up listening to The Jam, I also began to pick up on the subtle changes and influences in their style once originally collected and evolved out of the soundtracks of their own childhoods throughout the 1960's to the very height of Punk Rock, as The Jam eased themselves out of the rigid mould of just the typically sneering angry young mods of 'Eton Rifles' into tracks reflecting far more Rock, Soul, and Rhythm&Blues through to a much more funkier and even slightly disco-inspired New Wave backbeat that went all out in a glorious blaze of exuberant joyfulness with their last released single together - a final yet triumphant exaltation to ... "Come on boy, Come on girl, Succumb to the 'Beat Surrender'"

Even when frequently condemning certain aspects of life going on around them and demanding for both societal and political change, The Jam song lyrics still often reveal a deep and enduring warmth and affection for a much more idealised vision of their 'English Rose' which continues to echo my own feelings as well, and not just of at that time but also of even now, almost 33 years after the band broke up and went on in their separate ways.

This Ear book is really special, something to treasure as it gives such great pleasure to own - and I am simply thrilled to bits with mine ;o>
99 comments|3 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 21 January 2010
Bought for my daughters boyfriend and he thinks it's brill and a must for all you Jam fans out there.
on 4 February 2015
Got more than I bargained for here...I was expecting a standard 10 x 6 inch book/box set, but what I actually got is a whopping great coffee-table book, crammed with information and superb photographs of the band, with the 5 CD's safely stored on the insides of the front and rear covers...it even has a dust jacket.

The CD's contain The Jam's five studio albums plus all of their singles and B-sides spread over the first four discs, while disc five features an interesting set of demos and alternate versions. They do not contain any live material, but as I am not a completest this set gives me all the Jam material I could ever need.

In my opinion this makes any other Jam compilation obsolete...why bother when you can get their entire studio catalogue in such a beautifully presented set for such a ludicrously low price?

Highly recommended...just got to figure out where to keep it now!
on 12 October 2012
the best memories of my teenage life was of me and my mates being at a jam concert live.the energy and excitement created at those gigs had to be seen to be believed.this box set contains every jam album and single they released and some!! from the first track onwards as you listen to these songs you can see how the modfathers song writing matures .these songs i regaurd as the sountrack to my life as weller wrote songs about the times he was living in as a teenager and later years.those of you who were there during the jams reign as top dogs will know what i mean.those babies out there go buy this you will not be happier...god bless the jam ..and god bless you
on 1 August 2012
An excellent ear book containing just about all "The Jam's" studio recordings, demo's and some real track rarities! The sound quality on the CD's has been great, as you woul expect from Polydor. There's loads of excellent photographs, along side an in depth discography and gig history list. Would make a great gift for "The Jam" fan in your life or for anyone who is just discovering this legendary band for the first time. I hope you enjoy the ear-book..I have and will continueto do so!
on 21 November 2013
A great collection, all The Jam albums in one package.
The added bonus of the book is great, i have even ordered another copy for my friend for Chrimbo
on 7 January 2013
i dithered for a long time over this one as i already own most of the material contained therein and it was an expensive item for quite a while, but having found it for a little over £16 i took a punt and boy am i glad i did. this is one of ,if not the very best presented packages i have ever come across, and i own quite a few. essentially the albums and singles in chronological order, though many 'singles' are in fact the equivalent album recording, with disc 5 representing Extra's Vol 2. would've been nice to have had the small selection of live tracks that were available across various singles but this is a very minor quibble and any fan of The Jam will be very very pleased with this. compilers of box set retrospectives take note... this is how its done!
on 10 December 2015
excellent.what a bargain.love the jam and this is defo a must for any jam fans out there.the book was bigger than what I thought I was getting.also some great pictures,and best of all 5 cds that are set into the front and back of the book.
on 7 December 2014
I had the original of this box set stolen which featured a much smaller soft back book, this had a coffee table sized book and for any Jam fan is fabulous value for money as a memento of some really great music. Definitely a great buy