5.0 out of 5 stars Chris is quite simply a genius
I have been a Chris Rea fan ever since I listened to "Road To Hell" on my paper round. Ever since that album Chris has simply got better and better. I thought he had hit is peak with "The Blue Cafe" CD. However, as I am sure anyone taking a look at his box set knows, he got ill, badly ill.
Following his illness he released the music he has always wanted to...
Published on 18 Oct. 2005 by D. Sadler

3.0 out of 5 stars Would have preferred to have been able to buy a few selected mp3s
I bought this set having heard some of the tracks from the first few CDs in the set. Some of the tracks here are simply amazing, You can almost hear Blind Willie Johnson behind the mournful Boss Man Cut My Chains, you feel the pain and anguish in KKK Blues, and then there's the jazzy darkly threatening Viper Room. These tracks are amazing; they can't be beaten. Things...
Published on 3 Nov. 2012 by Bluenote

5.0 out of 5 stars Chris is quite simply a genius, 18 Oct. 2005
This review is from: Blue Guitars [11CD + DVD] (Audio CD)
Following his illness he released the music he has always wanted to release. The first of which was Dancing Down The Stony Road. Now, this is the classic album of all time (Well, it is in my opinion anyway). If you like the sound of blues and you like the sound of Guitar you will love DDTSR. However, now we have a box set of 11 CD's to enjoy. What I don't understand is that someone can write enough songs for 11 CD's in 11 different styles - and still not write a bad song. The quality is amazing. He seems to have a style all of his own and it is a style better than anyone elses! Again, if you love the blues, Guitars and superb vocals, then you have to buy this. You will love it.
Incidentally, for those that didn't know, he does a lot of artwork as well. The artwork in this album is truly superb. I am not an art fan, but I love some of the pictures in this box set - so much so that I am going to buy some prints!
Add to all this the fact that this box set is immaculately presented, better than anything else I have ever seen from anybody before, then you will see that this is a true bargain. Buy it, you won't regret it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Blue Guitars- A "Must Have", 28 May 2006
S. King (Ilminster) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Blue Guitars [11CD + DVD] (Audio CD)
What can I say that hasn't already been said about this remarkable collection of music? Mr. Rea, whilst recovering from a serious illness said that he did not want to die before he wrote a blues album. Blue Guitars was the result- except the one album became ELEVEN wonderful albums set in a beautiful presentation book!

The music is superb. If you haven't listened to Chris Rea before, it doesn't really matter as long as you like blues music and guitars. Start with disc one and just let it wash over you until you reach disc eleven. Almost every style of the blues are here, with some instrumental re-works of old tunes and about 120 new songs! Truly wonderful and if this really is Mr. Rea's Swan Song then what a way to go!

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding Music (+Outstanding Amazon UK Shipping!), 30 Nov. 2005
This review is from: Blue Guitars [11CD + DVD] (Audio CD)
I do not write reviews. Normally. But this is such an amazing set, at such an amazing price ( I got it cheaper through Amazon.co.uk, than buying it locally - including airmail speed and perfect packaging), that I had to write something. I have never seen or heard anything like this before: The mix of quantity and quality is astonishing.
With eleven albums of all-new material, there are no dud tracks, and, begging to differ from the record executives, there are a number of hit tracks (in a number of styles, from ballad to rock, showing the range of Blues influence).
Blue Guitars is great! Buy it!
(But it is not for everybody: If you do not like the Blues, or if you do not like Chris Rea's voice, or if you do not have a CD player, do not buy!)
P.S. Oh yes, the DVD with Blue Guitars is a fascinating look at the recording of the double CD, Dancing Down the Stony Road, which is also a great album, and a harrowing glimpse into Chris Rea's health struggles. II think that that the 20 tracks on that album go together very well with the 137 tracks on Blue Guitars.

5.0 out of 5 stars Oh Lord, Tell me it won't be long..., 24 Oct. 2005
This review is from: Blue Guitars [11CD + DVD] (Audio CD)
....it will be long. 137 tracks and 10.2 hours long. Not to mention the DVD. I only really became a fan of Chris Rea with his 'King of the Beach' release and from there purchased several of his other works. Then he released Dancing Down The Stoney Road. I was sceptical at first. I have never been a fan of the blues, but I was blown away. Chris Rea wasted himself on pop/rock. He was born to write and sing the blues. Since DDTSR there have been Blue Street (Five Guitars) & Hofner Blue Notes, of which both instrumentals. Then there was his last release The Blue Jukebox.
And now Blue Guitars. I couldn't quite believe my eyes when I saw this appear on Amazon. 11 CD's conjures up the thought of years of work. 11 CD's could even be an artists entire repitoire. The music itself is varied and takes you on a journey of the blues. The song writing, music and Rea's voice are typically on the ball. The book itself that contains the CD's is awesome. Fantastic artwork, interview, all the lyrics and all for quite an astonishing price.
If you want to know why Rea is singing the blues, I suggest you pick a copy of Dancing Down The Stony Road. For me it still stands out above this, because it is more personal. Thats not to de-value this, Blue Guitars is Awesome, but it is more of a story of the blues rather than a story about Chris Rea.

5.0 out of 5 stars Farewell to a Genius, 21 Oct. 2005
Joan Whittaker (Barnsley, South Yorkshire, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Blue Guitars [11CD + DVD] (Audio CD)
I must admit I was a bit apprehensive when I heard that Chris Rea was to issue an 11 CD set. I did not see how anyone could undertake such a huge project and hope that it would be up to his usual standard. I really need not have feared. Since receiving my copy of Blue Guitars at the beginning of the week I have listened to all 11 discs and haven't found one that I didn't like. All the CD's are named for a particular type of blues and I have to say that they are all to a greater or lesser degree evocative of the genre they are named for.
If this set had been issued by somebody new to the music scene, then all the usual pundits would be lauding him. For Chris Rea, it is his farewell and a very poignant farewell it is. If he had never issued anything else, then this would stand as a brilliant body of work. Taken together with all the albums issued over the last 25 years, then it is outstanding.
If you have never really listened to Chris Rea, then take this excellent opportunity to discern why he has had a faithful following over the years and why we have all looked forward eagerly to each new release.
Thanks for the music Chris - we will not forget the pleasure you have given us and look forward to any releases with your new band Fireflies.

5.0 out of 5 stars Blue Guitars, 21 May 2006
Mr. Ian P. Durk "Ian Durk" (England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Blue Guitars [11CD + DVD] (Audio CD)
I went to this man's farwell tour gig at The Birmingham Symphony Hall.

I had always liked his music and wanted a chance to see him perform live before he hung up his guitar.

What I got, I was not totally prepared for. His talent, technical ability, and pure love of what he does came off the stage like a life force.

During the following week I purchased "Blue Guitars".

If you know even a snippet about music, any music, you will not fail to see that this guy is more than just an exponent of what he calls "The Blues".

HE HAS NO EQUALLS ! At what he does, he is totally brilliant, I envy him for the happiness that he enjoys while practicing his art, infectious enthusiasm.....Love it Chris, I would love to meet you mate.

5.0 out of 5 stars Unbelievable!, 10 Mar. 2006
This review is from: Blue Guitars [11CD + DVD] (Audio CD)
I can only enforce what others have said - this album is truly remarkeable. As a catharsis from a potentially fatal illness, Chris has written the most powerful and beautiful album. From Blues' early roots, it takes the listener through decades to current day, invoking feelings of serenity, fun, memories and pure joy. It is a work of the soul, a modern accomplishment and utterly unique. Chris is a highly proficient musician, with expertise in so many instruments. He is also a prolific poet and talented artist and painter, as the album illustrates. I have followed Chris's career for more than twenty five years, and this is his best yet. The album totally educates the listener to the roots of modern day music.

5.0 out of 5 stars How STUNNING is this set?, 9 Feb. 2006
This review is from: Blue Guitars [11CD + DVD] (Audio CD)
I preface by fessing up to:
1. The fact I own NO other Chris Rea albums even though I often hear his songs on radio and say to myself, "gee he sounds good"
2. I would NOT have owned this set had not my blood-brother in Luxembourg (I live in Perth Australia) told me he bought it and said it was a nice package and
3. Had I not read SO MANY 5-star reviews here I probably would have ignored this set.
But, I DID buy it, and what can I say? It is simply stunning. How a songwriter can compile more than 120 new songs in such a short span of time that are so uniformly stunning and put them down so beautifully is beyond belief. THIS IS A MAGNIFICENT set.
From song 1 Disc 1, to last song in Disc 11....yes Disc 11....this is so good it's unbelievable.
The music is rich, lush when needed, spare if required, the production just adds to the music, no distractions. The playing fantastic and the song writing and Rea's singing just first rate.
This is a musical tour de force. It's written that it's a history of the blues. It is, but IF blues as is commonly thought of isn't your exact cup of tea, don't worry. It's is not blues by 'definition', it's "world blues" with a soul/pop bent. In any event, it's a treasure.
Will it be enough to make me go out and buy any of his older albums? I am not sure. There is just so much here to explore, and it's such a uniformly GREAT collection I might find his other records trite by comparison. Then again, I may not....
The package itself is a thing of beauty too. A hard cover A4 sized book, running some 70 or so pages, all lyrics, interview with Chris Rea himself, fantastic artwork and a DVD and the 11 CDs set into the front and back sleeves. For Aust$110. The bargain of the century musically, and a treasure I will cherish.
Rod

5.0 out of 5 stars If Carslsberg made music then this it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!, 20 Oct. 2005
N. Andrews (Welling Kent) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Blue Guitars [11CD + DVD] (Audio CD)
For the last 20 years I have followed Chris Rea's music with much interest, I have seen it start out with highly underated albums, a small following of dedicated fans right up to the massive selling albums and sell out tours. We all thought "The Road to Hell" and subsequent albums were the crowning glory and then along comes "Dancing Down The Stony Road" and "The Blue Jukebox" and we are knocked for six.
For many years I said why does Chris Rea not do a blues album, all the evidence was there in his previous works to show that this man had a lot more to offer and here it is in the form of "Blue Guitars".
There are not enough stars on this revue page to give it ten but if there were it should get eleven.
This collection of 11 c.d's and a D.V.D is a masterpiece! Each disc covers its own individual subject musicaly, from Chicago Blues, to the sounds of the delta to even Celtic and African blues.
The research must have been endless and the authenticity of each individual disc is beyond compare.
For any music fan with a sense of good taste this is a complete must. You dont have to be a blues fan to appreciate the quality and stlye of the compilation, and for those who are not blues fans it wont take long to be hooked!
The art work for the book that the c.d's come packaged in is all Mr Reas own work and what I know about art you could write on a postage stamp, but I am impressed and I will get a couple of copies of some the paintings myself. Do yourselfs a massive favour, get this collection on your Christmas lists, borrow the money, whatever you have to do, but at all costs get involved with "Blue Guitars" you will be hard pushed to get anything as awsome as this again from one artist!

5.0 out of 5 stars A journey into the blue!, 22 Oct. 2005
This review is from: Blue Guitars [11CD + DVD] (Audio CD)
To say Chris Rea is our answer to Taj Mahal or Ry Cooder is true - but this understates the unique blend and interpretation of the blues that Rea delivers throughout these 11 albums!
This musical journey really drives home that the blues isn't just about southern state, porch sat, dust my broom blues! It's a feeling that is found in irish music, motown, gospel, latin and so on. The locations whether it be new orleans, texas, cork or senegal just allow for new instruments to flourish.
They are songs of real sweat, tears, blood, hope, sunshine and love. I know I will dip into these albums for years to come. Choosing which album depending on my mood! The "irish", "motown" and "beginnings" are my current favourates. I doubt the radio stations will have the time to search for playlist songs from 11 albums. That is a shame! But if they need a hand here are my selections: "Till I find my true love's name", "Lets start again", "Sweet Love", "Break another piece of my heart", "Come change my world". They are the best candidates for our current bic razor radio mentality. The last few all from Al Green Temptations like Motown album. Hopefully, like me, these songs will catch peoples ear and they will buy this album(s) and feel they have something that will give hours and hours for years and years to come musical pleasure!
If not today, if not this week or this year - at some point the musical world will awake to praise this album as a masterpiece. Not because it is feat of 130+ songs long and comes with a wonderful book, but because the sound that comes from between the hardback covers is songwriting and muscianship of the highest quality.

Blue Guitars [11CD + DVD]
Blue Guitars [11CD + DVD] by Chris Rea (Audio CD - 2009)