5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent view into Helmut Newton's work, 24 July 2009
This review is from: Helmut Newton: Best of Helmut Newton (Schirmer art books on art, photography & erotics) (Paperback)
A very good view into the work of Helmut Newton.
Going through the book, I could appreciate what he was attempting to portray in each image. You need to have an open mind to envisage what his objective is. It is never clear cut, but it does open your own mind to a different perspective on life, art and photography.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Broader work from Newton than we usually see, 11 April 2012
Tim Kidner "Hucklebrook Hound" (Salisbury, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
I remember Helmut Newton's legendary black and white nudes back in the '80s, when I was self-teaching myself photography, which I now do semi professionally. They were often in camera magazines and technical books on photography. I'd not owned any books with solely his work in.

I had eyed up some of his other books, but they can be really costly and so, this softback (as I prefer to call it) at quite a very reasonable price came up, I thought "yes".

I have books by David Bailey and Edward Weston and other books on portraiture and nudes but I'm not going to suddenly say what you're maybe wanting, or expecting me to say. No, it's not better, but is as good as those, but different, of course.

I didn't know, for instance that the Berlin-born Newton cut his teeth on Vogue. We (photographers) all know that the British equivalents, of Bailey and Terrence Donovan did and similarly, Newton snapped the stars and the famous in London and Paris in the early '70s. On the cover of the book is Jodie Foster, looking very art deco - other big names included are Andy Warhol, Elizabeth Taylor, Debra Winger and Isabella Rossellini with (husband) David Lynch.

The infamous high-heeled dominatrix type of shot that became his trademark are fairly well represented, though some will want more - many (who won't be considering buying this book) won't. They're still photographs that you don't just show around - you don't leave this one on the coffee table where kids and auntie Flo might want a peek. As such, they still have the power to at least raise questions, at extremes, shock.

The first 26 pages are of Newton's biography. The book doesn't run chronologically, plate-wise, but flow nicely. There's an exhibition list at the back. Inbetween, it says that there are over 100 of his best photographs.

Helmut Newton died in 2004 as a result of a car accident (something I didn't know until I read it in the book), so there won't be any more new work. There may well be other books, indeed collections in print and to come in the future but this a nicely sized, printed and fitting memoir - at a sensible, not collector's price - of a rather outrageous but wholly distinctive lens-smith.

4.0 out of 5 stars Some pictures are for fans of Newton., 7 July 2013
A little on the dark side, but still impressive.I did not like some of the pictures, but others are great.

24.75
Not in stock; order now and we'll deliver when available