Format: Hardcover|Change

on 10 December 2015
well, here are some opposite opinions. This set is too poetic and artistic to be professional publication, and too colossal to be used as design reference, it provides marvellous sequence and layout of images but doesn't seem to (or isn't willing to) tell the whole story.
Good thing is, some less known aspects of the architect are able to be discerned, namely, the strong reliance on disposable concept instead of internalised cultural consciousness. Fortunately I paid half the price as a pre-order discount.
on 2 April 2014
I pre-ordered this book months ago, and it arrived this week, having just been released. My first impression was surprise, as it's in 5 volumes, at the time i ordered amazon were only showing 1 book!
Unfortunately my second impression was disappointment, as the cardboard sleeve that holds the 5 volumes was in very bad condition, crumpled at the edges and ripped open in two places at the back. 5 People I know have since received their copies, and all have unfortunately been torn - and honestly this is a disappointment.

However, if you accept that the cardboard sleeve isn't going to last, then the books themselves are beautifully covered in linen and feel sturdy.

As for the content, the books are chronological, each dealing with a different part of Peter Zumthor's career, in total covering all of his projects - both built and unbuilt - since 1985. Each project has a short piece written by Zumthor, reflecting on how the project came about, his memories of it, and the key architectural ideas they represent. It's quite candid and really very nicely written.

Architecturally, the drawings and photographs are all exactly as stunning as you would expect. The early projects include many beautiful hand-drafted drawings, there are many sketches, models, and very nice computer drawings. Some projects aren't fully explained but you do get a great sense of each and every one.

I pre-ordered it for a much lower price than the £175 it's currently selling at, and I'm not sure I could recommend it for such a high price, but if money is no object then go for it, I'm thrilled to have it in my collection.
on 31 May 2016
Its very graphic, the type of material that an Architectural Student needs to feel inspired by. Also contains images which give a special tone to the book. I advice to buy this book if you are looking to explore more into Zumthor's Architectural style.
on 15 March 2016
Great Books, for a reasonable price. The cover/shell was not in an excellent shape
on 10 October 2014
Just a fantastic collection of his work! Definitely worth having.
on 6 March 2015
The very best collection of books on PZ.
on 7 May 2015
Better than I expected after reading some reviews!! It has all the details that let you know Zumthor approved and followed the making of this collection! From photos to drawings and texts.. just perfect! I have to a huge Library with tons of architecture books, and I have to say that this collection jumped right to the top of my favorite ones! I always try to buy second hand books but in this case the new ones are cheaper and I found the price a honest one.
on 28 December 2015