Format: Hardcover|Change

on 20 July 2011
Great book this is but I did not realise that it is a very small version of the book - so small that it is more a toys than a book really. Probably my mistake but I was disappointed as I dont think the size was made very clear when I bought it.
on 17 June 2015
You need to be clear about what you want your hungry caterpillar book to do.
We were looking for a book our daughter could handle herself without us worrying about damage. We also wanted something that would allow us to interact with her. This version of the book (combining the story with a little finger puppet) was the perfect combination for us. It has an interesting rectangular format, which we found unsual for these kind of paperback books. The little one can rest the book easily on her lap and enjoys looking at the pictures.
Those that expect the full little hungry caterpillar story will be dissapointed. This book is for babies/toddlers and focusses on the essentials. The inner pages show a fruit and the number of fruits visible (e.g. 1 Apple). The last page then shows the beautiful butterfly. If you want the book to tell the story, you need a different version. However, we wanted our daughter to look at it with us (we know the story and can tell it anyway) AND her to be able to handle the book. The pages are very thick and robust, so while she "flicks through the pages" we are telling her the story about the little hungry caterpillar. The finger puppet is attached very well, which survives pulling and chewing etc. The material is very soft and different textiles are used. It is worth mentioning that it will be difficult for people with very long or large fingers to handle the puppet. It is fine for me (mum) but my partner struggles.
All in all, we think this was the perfect gift for our daughter's first birthday.

P.S:
Maybe worth pointing out: This is the German version! It was important for us, as we speak German at home and do not want to confuse her.
on 5 December 2012
A real page turner . I hope they make a film . I was sat on the edge of my seat all the time I was reading it .
on 5 July 2012
What can I say? It is The Very Hungry Caterpillar and all parents and children know how brilliant it is. I use this German edition for preschool and primary school language learning classes and it never fails to delight. It is great to be able to get classic texts like this in a variety of languages.
on 11 June 2014
I remember this book when I was at school. Such as awesome book, and still an awesome book. Made all the more awesoem because its in German. Sehr toll!!!
on 11 March 2011
A great book; my baby boy loves listening to me read this. The pictures are magnificent and it is just the right length to keep his attention.
on 4 January 2016
Physically smaller than expected but in perfect condition and still appreciated by the recipient. Reasonable price.
on 27 January 2016
Perfect, this was a gift for my German speaking nephew, it's a lovely sturdy book and is well loved!
on 13 September 2013
Was sorry to see how small it is. Seeing as its a child's book thought the size would be bigger.
on 3 May 2015
Very disappointed as I was unaware how small this book was! Only just able to read the words!