Format: HardcoverChange

on 14 August 2013
There has been a review that says that the print of the paintings is to small in order to study it, but i thought it was absolutely ideal. This was my first real study of Salvador Dali and I loved the fact that it was so absolutely complete. The book is in chronological order.

In my opinion the small paintings depicted in the book were ideal, because it allows the reader to skim through his many, many pieces and select those he liked to be examined more closely in other books or online.

Not to mention that the book has a certain aesthetic value, so it will be a great addition to your bookshelves.
on 2 July 2015
I just went and purchased this book; and, really can't wait for it to arrive inside of the post.

I first came across the book here at Amazon...when I did a search to find books by Dali; and, that is where I both read the introduction/and, also, went and very carefully studied reading through all of the book reviews.

Then, yesterday, I went and visited Tate Modern gallery which is located in Borough area of London; in there I saw a few Dali 'original' artworks, and, was very deeply impressed. His work totally stands out from all the rest of those artists by their sheer 'photo realistic quality'...even though much of his work is Surreal; which is, quite simply, astonishing.

Just before leaving the Tate Modern building to go home; I walked into their bookshop where they also have some very comfortable large sofa seats. Suddenly, I came across seeing the Dali book cover; I immediately picked it up; and, sitting down...decided to take a really 'long' look for about 1/2 an hour...before the gallery closed.

The book is small in size...not as big as A4...just a bit bigger than A5 possibly. However, it is a really 'thick' a guess, I'd say over 500+ pages...I didn't bother to even count; and, every single page is filled with absolutely loads of illustrations, including both paintings/drawings extending going from cover to cover. I was 'amazed' at the amount of artworks that Salvador Dali has's like endless; not just 1/or, 2 works...nor 10/or, 20...nor 100/or, 200...but, seriously, loads and loads and loads; and, all of it truly 'top quality' masterpieces.

I would put this book on the level of say...the 2 volume Van Gogh complete letters.../or, John Richardson's 5 volume Picasso...if you are a huge art fan...; and, especially, a fan of Salvador Dali's...who I regard as being one of the greatest ever modern masters/2nd only to Picasso, alone; then, quite simply, it's a 'must' have. It's, basically, a massive catalog of everything he's ever gone and created.

On the downside, the book has got very small sized text. I can normally read 'newspaper sized text' with no difficulties at all whatsoever. However, with such very small text, indeed...I might actually need to use a magnifying glass...?! But, that shouldn't put one off from buying it...because, most people, I bet will be far more interested in seeing all of the artworks; instead, of reading mere text. Because of the 'small text' issue...I was going to give in 4 stars; but, due to the sheer quality and volume of the printed artworks...therefore, I feel I have no other choice but to give it a full 5 stars, instead.
on 22 July 2015
Great book. I am new to Art this being the first book that I have on the subject. I bought it following a trip to the Dali museum in Figueres. The book has quite a lot of unintelligible pseudo scientific waffle, most of which is attributed to Dali himself, but by battling through this, the book gives a good feel for the personality of Dali and certainly shows the breadth of his talent. I bough the book for the pictures and it is certainly jam packed full. I would echo the comments of other reviewers that due to the page size the pictures are necessarily smaller that one would ideally like. However they are still fascinating and very appealing to look at. Some of them I felt the need to study with a magnifying glass in order to see the detail.
on 1 October 2015
Like many other reviews state, some of the pictures are a little small. The book itself isn't huge (although it is very thick), which really limits it. However, with the inclusion of all of the studies (prototype pieces for grander artworks, if you will), it's an excellent book with a great narrative all the way through about Dali, his life, and his art. It's very fairly priced. If you just want a little something to have a peak at his art works now and again (or maybe you're studying him for an A level or GCSE), you won't be disappointed, but if you truly want to study his art (maybe as part of a university degree), this might not necessarily be for you.
on 25 July 2015
The book is on the smallish size but for the money definitely worth it. A few pictures on each page or one picture and text per page.
on 1 October 2015
Very informative but pictures are small due to size of the book.
on 27 July 2013
Apart from the quality of the content, this new release for Dali's work, condensed in only one book its worth only if you want it over a small coffe table since its dimensios are quite small, barely can see the details. Not good
on 2 January 2014
Not only I was surprised by the amazing price for the book I wanted to get myself for ages, but also the postage was very quick. Good deal.
on 28 December 2014
Wonderful concise collection
on 3 March 2015
Cute nicely sized book that fits on my shelf.