Format: Hardcover|Change

on 26 March 2013
Beautiful photos of bygone London, with text in English , French and German- a perfect gift for that polyglot European friend or relative!

The size of the book does justice to the photos.

Not sure I would class this in the same historical league as "Lost London/Panoramas of LL" as its scope is more general, but the selection of photos is excellently judged and connects us to those who walked our streets before us..

And the price on amazon makes it a bargain (I will make amends at my local bookshop in an attempt to assuage the guilt..)
on 16 October 2012
A stunning book. Many of the images are simply breath-taking - and they are all beautifully reproduced, including some gorgeous double page spreads, such as a wonderful, Turneresque portrait of a misty Thames from the late 40s. Expertly chosen and with uniformly interesting and informative captions. A treat.
on 25 October 2012
As usual Taschen have produced such a beautifully illustrated book. A subject close to my heart and which I never tire of, it is a joy to own such a collection of photo's to loose yourself in for ages.

Bought through Amazon Taschen books are such a bargain.
on 6 November 2012
A fantastic collection of iconic London scenes, which reminds one of a simpler, but somehow more exciting and characterful age. I'm inspired every time I open it. You will be too.
on 19 April 2013
The photography is stunning and it is a very interesting read. It is a superb coffee table book where I have already had many comments.
on 22 February 2013
This is an absolutely amazing book - devine photographs all on the highest quality paper - an absolute must for your own coffee table or would make the best gift for anyone in London, a friend about to leave London or someone interested in the great City who appreciates great photography. Can't recommend enough. You definitely will not be disappointed if you buy this book.
on 10 October 2012
They say a Picture says a thousand words. If that the case this book has a million words to say. It shows in pictures what words alone cannot say. It reminds us of change , Some good some Bad in fantastic detail. If you like history or care about the past and the future buy this book. it not only a book but a legacy to be handed down to generations to come.
on 11 February 2013
It was a great way to spend my free time! the paper used is of great quality and those pictures i guess are very hard to find and put them all together. It will travel you from the past to present presenting some great and historic moments which occured in London. London is one of my favourite towns and i think that book is for sure worth bying!
on 24 October 2015
I read in a buyer's review that there was a big difference in size between the soft and the hard cover, so I ordered the hard-cover one. It is massive and weights a ton. Exactly the standard you expect of Taschen books. It's great to see pictures at such a large scale and will make a very substantial and special present.
on 14 October 2013
Amazing photographs from Queen Victoria's reign till the present.I received a copy as a present and love the history and images and seeing how London has transformed over the last 150 years. Great if you love London and will look great too on any coffee table. I want to collect the rest now