5.0 out of 5 stars The Definitive 50 Year Bond Companion
I could write an essay about this book, but as I've only just got to 'Goldfinger' as a chapter, in which there is one for each film massing about 25-30 pages, as well as chapters about Ian Fleming himself and the history to the creation of 007 himself, there is a wealth of treasure still to be unearthed by me.

But I can assure you that this is literally the...
Published on 4 Jan. 2013 by Mr. C. Gelderd

3.0 out of 5 stars okay
I purchesed this book after seeing a friends which she bought her husband in hers was also some negatives of a actual film from James Bond but not in mine, I thought what a great gift for my son who is James Bond mad. the book was late coming I sent e-mails asking where it was, I was told it will be looked into, it still did not arrive so I imformed Amazon. A couple of...
Published on 11 Feb. 2013 by Trisha

5.0 out of 5 stars The Definitive 50 Year Bond Companion, 4 Jan. 2013
Mr. C. Gelderd "aka GelNerd" (Basingstoke, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: The James Bond Archives (Hardcover)

But I can assure you that this is literally the perfect James Bond companion for a summary, review and analysis of the 50 year history of the cinematic character, as well as delving back into the early life of Ian Fleming to disocver the years leading up to the first James Bond novel, 'Casino Royale', being written to take the world by storm.

It is a really big book, the biggest I own and I can only move it with two hands. It's heavy, very heavy, crammed full of rare and ultra-crisp colour photographs from every area of the James Bond world you can imagine, with shots I've never seen before, and as a Bond fan for over 15 years, there's not much I didn't think I hadn't seen...I was wrong!

I've learnt so much already about the stories behind the cameras, and the personal feelings and experiences from all those involved in the film-making process, from actors to studo executives, producers and musicians.

It's beautiful, and clear this is a work of passion for not just James Bond, but for film-making and literature as a whole.

Please invest in this book, as no James Bond fan should be without it. It's already proved it's worth £80+, and I've not even scratched the surface yet.

5.0 out of 5 stars Unlikely to be bettered, 9 Sept. 2014
Jl Adcock "John Adcock" (Ashtead UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: The James Bond Archives (Hardcover)
This huge, rather unwieldy book, is one of those tomes that you lug out for a casual browse and find you have completely lost yourself in. Rather like a Bond villian, it's big, ambitious, and perhaps a tad impractical in terms of its scope, but overall it is irresistible to anyone with more than a passing interest in the Bond franchise and how these films have developed and grown over the years.

Lavishly illustrated with some truly stunning photographs, the size of the book is both a strength and a weakness, in that it has a high visual impact, but is really cumbersome to move around easily, so browsing on a sturdy table, rather than on the sofa, is the best option.

The story of the Bond franchise is going to be famiiar to anyone prepared to shell out serious money for this volume, so the content won't disappoint, but nor will it be completely new. A combination of transcribed interviews, storyboards, publicity material and behind the scene photos across 50 years of fim-making gives a range of insights, and generally it works well. Rare, the archive also includes detailed material on the non-official Bond movies, so the David Niven/Woody Allen Casino Royale caper is included here, as is Connery's return in Never Say Never Again. Including these just makes the "official" films look even better in terms of design and execution.

It's unlkely to be bettered in terms of a book about the Bond films, although don't come here expecting detailed analysis of the original books or indeed the film storylines themselves. This is much more a detailed archive of the film-making process, which is as much about the craft of cinema as it is about 007.

Having thought long and hard before buying this, it is certainly a labour of love and perhaps one of the most well-constructed and stunning books I have. The cardboard carry case that houses the book is unlikely to take much wear and tear, but will no doubt be required in mint condition for those with an eye to keeping their volume in pristine condition for re-selling as a collectors item in years to come.

Versions with the 35mm neg strips from Dr No are still, seemingly out there - they were in the version I bought online, but not from Amazon, it must be said. And as for the option to "tell the publisher you want to read this in Kindle" - forget it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book!, 7 Mar. 2014
This review is from: The James Bond Archives (Hardcover)
Wonderfully presented book, the red-patterned hard cover really gives an impression of quality, which is continued throughout with large colourful pictures and detailed drawings. The book is huge and weighs a ton, equally to that of a hefty old laptop, but the fact it comes within its own cardboard box was a touch I really liked. This was bought as a gift for a James Bond fan but I too found it interesting to flick through, as a gift or a keep-sake I think it's ideal and though not cheap, for the quality it is really worth it.

5.0 out of 5 stars I've been told it's the best book he's ever had, 14 Jan. 2013
This review is from: The James Bond Archives (Hardcover)
A bit of a gamble as a Christmas present for a complete Bond nut (he watches TV documentaries on Bond and gets to the facts before they do), but I needn't have worried. It's sumptuously produced, well written, packed with photographs and little human anecdotes. He read the whole thing, cover to cover, pulling out the best titbits to share with me. One very happy and peaceful Christmas .

5.0 out of 5 stars The best Bond book ever, 14 Jan. 2013
This review is from: The James Bond Archives (Hardcover)
I have most books that you can buy about James Bond, and this is simply the best to date. The sumptuous quality of the paper and the landscape format make it a joy to hold - although at 6kg you won't be holding it for long. The text is a mixture of interviews with those involved in each film - working chronologically through the films from Dr No onwards. It's fantastic.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply The Best, 12 Nov. 2012
This review is from: The James Bond Archives (Hardcover)
This is more than a book it is a work of art.
Hefty Price Tag but worth every penny.
Sure to be a Collector's Item in years to come, make sure you hang onto the cardboard carry case it comes in for added value!
The full page rare photographs are simply stunning the quality is so high and the behind the scenes information is unbelievably detailed and interesting.
This is quite simply the most beautiful book I have or maybe will ever own.
Highly Recommended for Film Fans in general,if you have the money don't hesitate to buy I guarantee you won't be disappointed!

5.0 out of 5 stars THE 'Must Have' Bond Book, 25 May 2014
John Joyce "Author - Masterpiece" (Dublin, Ireland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The James Bond Archives (Hardcover)
This is THE book for the serious Bond fan. The price alone will deter those who are not true believers but the content, the layout and the sheer size of the book (you will need two hands to lift it!!) makes it the must have book for Bond fans everywhere. Loaded to bursting point with photographs dating back to the early days of Ian Fleming and the development of the Bond books before Dr. No and taking us up to date with the appearance of Daniel Craig, this is a goldmine of material that even I - as a Bond aficionado from the days when anyone below the age of 18 could not get into a cinema and watch them unaccompanied by an adult (they were considered that risque! - found a wealth of information and pictures I had never seen before.

5.0 out of 5 stars B E A U T I F U L . . ., 1 Nov. 2012
This review is from: The James Bond Archives (Hardcover)
V quick mini review as this incredible publication has just arrived at the house and I'm only just starting to feast my eyes on it.

This is a thing of beauty; I have the 1st edition of The Stanley Kubrick Archives, and I thought that that book was never likely to be bettered, but I was mistaken - THIS does!

My copy has 12 frames of Connery beating up the phony chauffeur from Kingston airport [ DR NO ]; I might get this encapsulated in plastic as a stand-alone item to sit on my bookshelf!

The book itself is superb; beautifully bound, printed in eye-popping clarity with thousands of fascinating images from EON's archive, and sumptuous frame-captures, printed full-page.

It includes the two rogue Bonds - Casino Royale [1967] and the dreadful Never Say Never Again.

A smaller section on Skyfall is included which - alas! - doesn't contain any screen-captures from Danny Kleinnman's superb main titles.[ These were the last elements of the film to be completed before digital 'prints' were struck of the movie, 10 days before the world premiere.]

In this half-century year, a fitting tribute to 50 years of Double-Oh-Seven.

Magnificent.

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely stunning, 29 Oct. 2012
This review is from: The James Bond Archives (Hardcover)
I have a thousand books in the house and a good few dozen on the subject of 007, but I have never seen anything like this one before. The care and attention that has gone into its production is staggering and the large size makes the photographs look stunning. I couldn't praise it enough and heartily recommend it. It is expensive, but it is worth every penny.

5.0 out of 5 stars Huge....and heavy, 6 Nov. 2012
Swissangel "Toni" (Schaffhausen, CH Switzerland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The James Bond Archives (Hardcover)
I saw this book behind the windows in Harrods in London and thought that would be a interesting book about the James Bond Movies. I was thinking about to buy at the "Harrods" but god/heaven, good that I didn't it and I ordered online from amazon.

This book in large size/format, contains 600 (SIX-HUNDRED) sites is very heavy (I would have overweight in the plane).

This first print of the book contains an original strip of film from "Dr. No". James Bond films - which I got now.

The book contains many notes from the movies from their making of, a lot photos (behind the scenes), scripts, storyboads and many things more. About the Bonds from "Dr. No" to "Skyfall" plus the two in-official Bond-movies "Casino Royal" and "Never Say Never Again".

Many photos has never seen before.

One Word: amazing.
As true Bond fan its a must have it.

But beware: its large and heavy! :-)

The James Bond Archives
The James Bond Archives by - (Hardcover - 26 Oct. 2012)
Used & New from: £92.22