5.0 out of 5 stars Just like Yaya used to make!
Published on 22 Aug. 2005 by Helbelly

3.0 out of 5 stars Hmmmmm...
Excellent and detailed book about Greek Cuisine but absurdly small print, use of italics and coloured text boxes makes for very difficult reading!
Published on 11 Feb. 2011 by Simon P. Howes

5.0 out of 5 stars Just like Yaya used to make!, 22 Aug. 2005
This review is from: Culinaria Greece: Greek Specialties (Hardcover)
My grandmother was Greek Cypriot and despite speaking no English, she communed with me through a great shared love of Greek cuisine. Sadly she passed away before I could persuade her to get my favourite recipes translated. I've now finally found a book which not only provides authentic recipes and ingredients (yes, many of which really are just like Yaya's - delicious!), but beautifully presents in text and pictures the various regions, foodstuffs and people. Forget the waistline - A must for anyone who enjoys Greek food, cooking in general or would just like to find out more about the region.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic to browse and use!, 5 Aug. 2009
Andrew of Lapford "Andy" (Lapford, Devon, England) - See all my reviews
This book feels great - big, thick, heavy and richly illustrated, and the contents are great to browse through - loaded with recipes that are easy to follow, but more than that, you get the history of the food, its relationship with the region it comes from and the history of food in Greek culture. My only small criticism is that it's not always easy to find a particular recipe because the book works by dividing Greece up in to its regions, and recipes are organised through geography rather than the usual course (ie starter, main, dessert etc), but nevertheless, you will probably find yourself browsing through more than perhaps you would a regular cook book. I will be taking our copy on our self-catering holiday to Greece this summer, and can't wait to try the fabulous food using authentic local ingredients.

5.0 out of 5 stars life beyond souvlakia, 22 Mar. 2010
Graeme Wright "book worm" (salford) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This has everything that a book on regional cookery of Greece should have: stunning photography, charming anecdotes, a smattering of history, background information on everything from aubergines to yoghurt and above all recipes, lots of them.The author, a journalist born in Thessaloniki is very well placed to give a passionate but educated view of her native country's cuisine. To do this without falling into the trap of concentrating on the "typical" dishes served in tourist restaurants from every package tour island takes more than just journalistic intuition; it also takes a nationalistic pride in even the most humble of dishes, a trait sadly lacking in many similar recipe books.
Marianthi Milona's book, like a lavish meze table, is one to be dipped into from time to time. Whether the reader's quest is for the simplest of salads or something more esoteric such as eel in blackberry sauce or braised wild goat from Crete he or she will be amply rewarded. It is at home next to the barbecue while we await our sub Mediterranean summer as it is in the kitchen to faithfully recreate those meals tasted on distant holidays. And, very helpfully the index gives both Greek names of dishes and their English translations.

4.0 out of 5 stars Culinaria Greece, 1 Jan. 2010
H. Defriend (Spain) - See all my reviews
Culinaria Greece (Culinaria)

Some cookbooks inspire you with the photography and deflate you with their complexity. I'm pleased to find that this book has mouth watering photos and clear easy to follow recipes.

Try making the Dolmades, they're among the best I've tasted

In a phrase, What You See is What You'll Eat

''''''''Cook, Eat and Enjoy! '' ''''''''''

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome cookbook!, 13 May 2010
Anna Freja Korvin (Copenhagen, Denmark) - See all my reviews
This series is GREAT! I bought both Culinaria Greece and Culinaria Spain.

When I opened the package I was amazed of how big the books were, there's a LOT packed in here.

The chapters are split into the regions in the two countries and that works really well, you get to see the traditional foods and the people working with the food.
And of course you get really good information on how to do the dishes, there's step-by-step pictures on some of the dishes and a thorough description of how to do the things. The dishes are named both in the original language and English.

When I bought the books I was worried there would only be the English weight measures, you know, oz lbs pounds and so on, I'm Danish and I only understand kilograms and liters :P but luckily these books have both!! it's like "2 lbs/500 grams"

And if all that wasn't enough they have also packed in various information on cheeses, people, traditions, myths (in the Greek book) and wines.
And if you're interested the books also tell you how to slice up various animals for slaughter . . .

All in all I was very pleasantly surprised by these books, and you can browse in them for aaaaaages - it's not only cookbooks, it's "country/culture books"

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly recommended, 27 Jun. 2009
This review is from: Culinaria Greece: Greek Specialties (Hardcover)
I have lived in Greece for over 25 years and would highly recommend this book to anyone who enjoys Greek food, Greece and Greeks! It makes a lovely present and is a great book for your coffee table!

3.0 out of 5 stars Hmmmmm..., 11 Feb. 2011
Simon P. Howes "simmuns" (London) - See all my reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars So good I bought it twice!, 28 April 2012
I bought this book as it gives a fantastic insight into the various regions and islands in Greece whilst focusing, of course on food, wine and spirits and their production. We took it to our house in Greece but missed it so much I have now bought one for our house here in the UK. Great pictures, photos and information- and recipes- but its not a recipe book as such, much more interesting in my opinion!

3.0 out of 5 stars Coffee table book, not cookbook, 12 Jun. 2010
This book is a beautiful coffee table book for those interested in the history and food of Greece. All the recipes I tried were a bit lackluster and had some vagueness with cooking times, ect. that would not happen in a book that was exclusively a cookbook. The end result was just missing something that made eating experiences in Crete and elsewhere in Greece so memorable. It's gorgeous so I'm retiring it to the coffee table and looking for another book whose strength is the recipes, not the pictures and detailed history (which is quite interesting, but not essential for cooking).

5.0 out of 5 stars greece as is, 3 Mar. 2009
This is a lovely book to hold - it feels heavy, with strong, soft, blue covers, the deep blue of summer sky and sea. Seriously authentic recipes are scattered throughout the book in support of thoroughly researched descriptions of day to day Greek culinary life. This book celebrates every facet of that life and can be dipped into or read page by page. It is an absolute joy.

Culinaria Greece: Greek Specialties
Culinaria Greece: Greek Specialties by Marianthi Milona (Hardcover - 30 Nov. 2004)
Used & New from: £27.49