Format: Hardcover|Change

on 28 September 2013
I read about Jimmy Nelson on the Telegraph website. His new volume of images being released in a book called ' Before they Pass Away' caught my attention. Travel and Portraiture is my passion in photography and Jimmy nelson is one of the best. Bargain price aside, this is an absolute treat. If you love high level wonderful portrait photography, then buy it. If you know someone who appreciates the same - buy it. If you are interested in what our kids may not see in 20 years time, buy it, show it to them in 20 years when they will not be able to go to Kenya and see real tribes living their lives. Become immersed in photographs thats are so sublime, you feel you could reach out and touch the subject. In a lot of ways, this book is so sad. Beautiful, innocent tribes, people, families, children and cultures are being washed away right in front of us. Jimmy has caught our attention with this and not only has the stunning images, but also includes a description of them and a section about teach tribe's history. The book is epic - it's the only word for it. A masterpiece of wondrous photography and detail. Show everyone, treasure it and do something to help raise awareness of the plight of these spectacular people.
55 comments|58 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 5 January 2014
Beautifully written with amazing photographs. My husband loved his Xmas gift. Visitors often browse when they see it on the coffee table.
on 15 November 2013
It's already an amazing book for its original price but for this discounted offer, you just cant go wrong. For me this book is holy, and I treat it as so. The images are beautiful, the descriptions fascinating, the landscapes grand. The photographer Jimmy Nelson did a service to humanity by preserving the memory of all these people.
on 19 November 2013
Beautiful book! Love the pictures, love the story! A must have for everyone! It's a very large and heavy book, nice to keep it on the table and to look at one page a day!
on 27 October 2013
The quality of the photographs is stunningly good. It is so gratifying that the information they contain is preserved for future generations, as well as informing those of us fortunate enough to see them now.
The only slight gripe is the weight of the book,perhaps it could have been produced in more than one volume
on 20 October 2013
This book has the most amazing photos I have ever seen. It's fascinating and beautiful.
Downside is that it is so heavy and therefore not one to look at in bed! Sturdy coffee table required.
Fabulous if you are interested in all the different cultures around the world.
on 18 October 2013
An amazing photographic depiction of tiny tribes and civilisations we in the Western Hemisphere know little about. Jimmy Nelson covered the unique people in their element. These people trusted his commitment and special manner in which he defined their life long traditions. A rare view of life that will someday disappear from our civilisation unfortunately.
on 28 November 2013
OMG! This book is massive! I did not realise how huge it would be but I absolutely love it and hope my mother will too (Christmas present). It is one of those books you will keep forever and your grand-kids will always want to get out when they pop round. Beautiful!
on 29 October 2013
A few of us live differently. A few of us have escaped globalisation. They don't pay their mortgage, do not grace Starbuck's with their presence and move to greener pastures when the grass becomes scarce.
The fascinating volume presented by Jimmy Nelson, who spent years producing it, gives us a rare glimpse into the everyday life of mostly nomade tribes that try againts all odds to preserve their ancestral culture all aound the world.
The pictures are stunning, the portraits carved in marble, like Greek statues. They are here for eternity, even if they are bound to disappear within a few decades.
This book is a vibrant tribute to human beauty and dignity.
on 9 November 2013
This books is absolutely stunning. I haven't had a chance to go through it carefully as yet but having majored at university in Cultural Anthropology and having grown up around a group of University professors who where Anthropologists (and who had done field work all over the world in the 1930's to 1970's) I am somewhat acquainted with the necessity to record the details of indigenous lives "before they pass away." This is a lovely but tragic book; like photographs of the polar glaciers...melting away before our very eyes.