5.0 out of 5 stars Sublime volume of once in a lifetime photographs
I read about Jimmy Nelson on the Telegraph website. His new volume of images being released in a book called ' Before they Pass Away' caught my attention. Travel and Portraiture is my passion in photography and Jimmy nelson is one of the best. Bargain price aside, this is an absolute treat. If you love high level wonderful portrait photography, then buy it. If you know...
Published 16 months ago by Ollie Govett

1.0 out of 5 stars Beatiful, but fictional
Survival International have attacked this as fictional and misleading, and I have to agree. They're concern was (essentially) that he'd undressed tribeswomen for the shoot because their genuine traditional clothing didn't meet his requirements. In a similar vein, have a look at the pretty Maori girl - while she looks pretty traditional in Jimmy Nelson's book, her...
Published 4 months ago by James Rowe

‹ Previous | 1 2 39 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars A must for armchair anthropologists, 24 Nov. 2013
barbara frames (ALBUQUERQUE, NM, US) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Before They Pass Away (Hardcover)
This is a fantastic book. Gorgeous photos of people whose culture probably will no longer exist in a few decades or sooner. For anyone who has any interest in anthropology, this is a must-have book.

5.0 out of 5 stars classic book, 22 Nov. 2013
This review is from: Before They Pass Away (Hardcover)
Amazing pictures of people and places you only know about after looking through this classic book.I would recommend to everybody.

5.0 out of 5 stars as nice as I hoped for, 18 Nov. 2013
This review is from: Before They Pass Away (Hardcover)
After seeing Jimmy Nelson on Dutch television I knew I wanted to own this book.
It's everything I hoped it would be, very nice!

5.0 out of 5 stars Stunning, 9 Nov. 2013
Ginny (Martha's Vineyard) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Before They Pass Away (Hardcover)
This books is absolutely stunning. I haven't had a chance to go through it carefully as yet but having majored at university in Cultural Anthropology and having grown up around a group of University professors who where Anthropologists (and who had done field work all over the world in the 1930's to 1970's) I am somewhat acquainted with the necessity to record the details of indigenous lives "before they pass away." This is a lovely but tragic book; like photographs of the polar glaciers...melting away before our very eyes.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great book, bad condition, 4 Dec. 2013
Z Decheva (Sofia, Bulgaria) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Before They Pass Away (Hardcover)
The book is great and I was so excited to have it, but I received it in bad condition, it is not well glued on the side and edges are not quite well, unfortunately. I expected quality.
Apart from that I also found some of the photos staged, which was a bit annoying, as one would expect naturality on first place here. More information for each tribe was also something I expected was a default part from such book. I found the amount of information quite insufficient to help me dive into the story and lives of these people, which was my intended goal.

5.0 out of 5 stars great archive, 15 Nov. 2013
This review is from: Before They Pass Away (Hardcover)
it may take a couple of months to finish this book.
photos are large enough to check details of tribes.
i recommend this to all human.

5.0 out of 5 stars Eternal sunshine of the tribal culture, 29 Oct. 2013
Christian Nugue "go-between" (Meudon (France)) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Before They Pass Away (Hardcover)
A few of us live differently. A few of us have escaped globalisation. They don't pay their mortgage, do not grace Starbuck's with their presence and move to greener pastures when the grass becomes scarce.
The fascinating volume presented by Jimmy Nelson, who spent years producing it, gives us a rare glimpse into the everyday life of mostly nomade tribes that try againts all odds to preserve their ancestral culture all aound the world.
The pictures are stunning, the portraits carved in marble, like Greek statues. They are here for eternity, even if they are bound to disappear within a few decades.
This book is a vibrant tribute to human beauty and dignity.

3.0 out of 5 stars Some gorgeous photographs but ...., 7 Dec. 2013
Dr. Kourosh R. Ahmadi "NGxer" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Before They Pass Away (Hardcover)
There are some fantastic photographs in this book covering some - not all - of the most amazing tribes in our vastly diverse planet. However, personally I found the photos a bit repetitive, some a bit staged, and yearned a bit more info on each tribe, locations etc... I also found the 3 language layout annoying. As a result, I returned the book as I could actually see most of the memorable photos on the dedicated website!
Amazing effort but just not for me unfortunately.

4.0 out of 5 stars Beautif, others exist, 15 Nov. 2013
This review is from: Before They Pass Away (Hardcover)
Jimmy Nelson is truly an art photographer. The pictures are pieces of art.
The uniqueness of this project lies in the fact that it reaches a big media coverage through magazines, TV coverage,....
Many books on this theme already exists, including the controversial discussion on the mise-en-scene display of the tribes.
I would like recommend the book of Survival International, an organisation that strives for the survival of these tribes, which should be the ultimate goal of such projects.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing book - awesome photographs and informative details., 25 Oct. 2013
Ms. J. E. Vesey "Janet V. MusicMad" (Co, Cork. Ireland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Before They Pass Away (Hardcover)
I love this amazing book. It is by far the biggest and heaviest volume in my library.
Worth every penny. These fantastic tribes must never be forgotten. Totally stunning.

‹ Previous | 1 2 39 | Next ›

Before They Pass Away
Before They Pass Away by Jimmy Nelson (Hardcover - 6 Sept. 2013)