5.0 out of 5 stars Impeccably produced.
Published on 3 Dec 2005 by P. White

3.0 out of 5 stars German Kubrick
Arrived in good condition and in due time. Unfortunately, the information shown when I purchased it did not mention the addendum was written in german.
Published on 15 April 2010 by Emilio Vicente Yepes

5.0 out of 5 stars Impeccably produced., 3 Dec 2005
P. White (Cambridge, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Stanley Kubrick Archives (Hardcover)
I have two favourite publishers at the moment because they have realised that a book is more than just glued together sheets of paper with words/images on them. Both Viz-Media and Taschen understand that a book is an experience and an artwork in its own right. That being the case I eagerly purchased a copy of this book expecting high standards and I was not disappointed.
The book looks wonderful and is bound using the best materials. It's built to last. It is supplied in a dedicated cardboard box which owners should retain and includes an interview with Mr Kubrick on an audio CD. The inside front cover retains the CD and the strip of 70mm frames from 2001 that first edition copies include. Like the reviewer below I have doubts about the film strip and would prefer to have kept the reel intact. My frames are of Frank Poole exercising in the carousel.
Each of Kubrick's films has a section and they are written up in detail and style. The accompanying images are generally excellent and well presented.
This book is more than just an entertaining and informative tome about Stanley Kubrick's directorial output because it looks and feels so lavish: an event!

5.0 out of 5 stars LOOK INSIDE THE BOOK, 5 Oct 2007
Robin Benson - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: The Stanley Kubrick Archives (Hardcover)
The other reviews of this remarkable book have more or less summed up what I would say so I've approached it from another angle: I've uploaded eight photos to give you an idea of what this highly visual (and costly) book looks like. Click 'customer images' under the cover.

If you are buying a used first-run copy do check with the seller that Mr Kubrick's film strip is in its sleeve and the CD is also included, photo two shows them in position. Owning a bit of '2001' from Kubrick's personal collection gives the book extra kudos.

Photo six will give you an idea of how the book is organised. There are two sections, each with a series of coloured tabs. His twelve movies have a tab each and in the first section there are eight hundred stills, black and white and colour depending on the film. Photos four, seven and eight are some of the spreads from Dr Strangelove. The second part of the book covers each movie in detail with an amazing collection of visual material to back up the text. Photos one, three and five and show some pages about the background and production of Dr Strangelove.

The back of the book has a fifty page Appendix A, B and C. A covers three unmade movies: Napoleon, AI and Aryan Papers. B has three essays. C is a chronology of Kubrick's life.

This is a BIG book, opening to thirty-three inches wide and at over fourteen pounds in weight it really can only be read on a table. Needless to say being a Taschen book it is beautifully designed and printed and if you do buy a copy the Kubrick experience will be quite overwhelming and long lasting.

***FOR AN INSIDE LOOK click 'customer images' under the cover.

5.0 out of 5 stars It's worth it, but it's just for fun., 23 April 2011
When I first saw the larger edition of this in a bookshop, I was sorely tempted to buy it, but then decided against it, because I thought it was too expensive and basically, I would be better off investing the money into completing my DVD/BluRay collection of SK's films. Well, now that you can get this smaller, less expensive edition, there really is no reason to hesitate any more. First of all, yes, it is smallER, but the first edition was an insanely large format, and this is still more than impressive, so don't think you'll get a cheap treat, because this is a very beautiful book indeed. Secondly, yes, the first section, the one with the stills, is sort of pointless, because if I want to see SK's images, I want to see them in motion. But the second section is just brilliant. You see the sets and members of the crew, you see costumes and props, production notes, screenplays, and storyboards with SK's comments scribbled all over them. Just one thing: somewhat like the documentary "A Life in Pictures", this isn't really a good work to learn a lot about the actual production process of the films. There are interviews and tons of very helpful notes in the second part of this book, but most of these add up to a rather touristy sense of what it must have been like to be there, with SK, working on these films. Even a biography that I picked up more or less at random in a library gave me more information about the really technical aspects of SK's films than this book did. Here, you get a feel, not an account. So if you are a fan, fascinated with this man's devotion to his art, then you'll find many nice things and maybe a few real surprises in this volume. If you are looking for more differentiated insights into what makes his films what they are, then perhaps you should look for more academic literature.

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb, superb book., 9 July 2005
This review is from: The Stanley Kubrick Archives (Hardcover)
If you're a fan of Kubrick -- or even of only ONE of the many films contained within -- then you NEED TO HAVE THIS BOOK. Period.
I like the majority of Kubrick's output, but I admit that I purchased it largely for "2001" (the first movie I was taken to see as a child...bizarre choice, I know.) In terms of that film, the photographs (most of which I've never seen -- amazing in itself) are incredible; the shots of the mooted end scene "Aliens" are (for me) worth the price of purchase.
One thing: the first run of this comes with a cutting of frames taken from Kubrick's own personal 70mm print of the movie. While I'm thrilled to have this (mine is of Dave and HAL conversing: double bonus), imagining Stanley lacing up the very print I have in my house for a personal showing, I'm a little upset and disturbed that Kubrick's widow would allow such a case of, for want of a better word, artistic vandalism.
Still. If you buy this book, you simply won't regret it.

3.0 out of 5 stars German Kubrick, 15 April 2010
Emilio Vicente Yepes (Barcelona) - See all my reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars A great book for a great director, 25 Dec 2005
This review is from: The Stanley Kubrick Archives (Hardcover)
My wife got a sore arm lugging this thing home for Christmas. It is without doubt the most intellectual paperweight I've ever owned, and will no doubt be the last (of many) Kubrick books, which I have purchased and devoured over the years. It is a great tome, with the kind of nitty-gritty 'behind the scenes' details that real Kubrickphiles want. The Interview CD is great (already uploaded onto my Ipod - thankyou) and my filmstrip image is excellent. I had the opportunity to meet Christiane Kubrick some years ago at a 'By Means of Music' concert in honour of Stanley. She was very nice and autographed a book I had with me. Having met her the SK archives feel slightly more personal in some way. Ever since I was a boy growing up in Sydney and reading Gene D. Phillips' account of Stanley's films, I have known that filmmaking is what I want to do. This book is just one more inspiration. I would suggest that you order online like my wife did and save a bit of money.

4.0 out of 5 stars 2008 edition, 2 Dec 2010
Lester Hughes "L HUGHES" (WALES UK) - See all my reviews
Just received my copy of the Stanley Kubrick archives.
I had first seen it in the University Library where they must have had the first edition-because it was twice the size and included a film cell and a cd.- The copy I bought via amazon-is a later edition (2008), and is roughly half the size of the 1st edition-though seems to contain all the same information-in addition Ive received a black booklet of what seems to be interviews and additional information-i say seems to be because this is entirely in German and i dont understand a word of it!! If you havent seen the book in its 1st edition form-you will be over the moon with this- Its a hefty book in itself and dwarfs other books on my shelves, its a fully comprehensive study of all Kubricks films-If on the other hand you have seen the 1st edition, felt it touched it, witnessed the pages in full glory-when this shunken version comes through your door-you will be ever so slightly dissapointed- however when you compare current prices £40 for the new edition and £200 for a larger 1st-you really need big pockets to compensate for the slight dissapointment of the later cheaper edition!

5.0 out of 5 stars Glorious tome on Stanley Kubrick, 8 Dec 2007
This review is from: The Stanley Kubrick Archives (Hardcover)
I was very, very lucky to have recently acquired this monumental book from another seller in France, and to top it all it was a copy from the first print run. Thus it included both the CD and the strip of the 70 mm print from '2001: A Space Odyssey' - this one's from the sequence of the round space shuttle being brought down on the moving platform into an inner trench in the Moon base! Those two items alone would be worth the cost of this pricy volume, and they certainly add to its extraordinary overall quality, for this book is all around printed with the finest of materials.
I still haven't had the time to start reading the text sections, but visually this is indeed a sensational piece of work! One can see that the author, Alison Castle, and Taschen, the publishing house, treated it as a labour of love and with heartfelt respect towards the legendary Stanley Kubrick, his work and life. Copious samples of screenplay pages, letters, props, production drawings, and a veritable humongous amount of never before seen photographs of Kubrick at work on the sets of his films and at home are reproduced in pristine condition.
One of the elements which I found so fantastic about the material displayed here is that not only do we get to see the director at his most serious and focused mode working behind the cameras and surveying the proceedings on the movie sets, but there's also a lighter side of him on display as well. There's Kubrick pretending to be tossing a rubgy ball on the set of 'Lolita', throwing a custard pie onto a technician's face with amusement on 'Dr. Strangelove' - Christiane, his wife, can also be seen throwing another one on another part of the War Room set -, we can see Kubrick fondly embracing his young daughter Vivian at his garden, or self portrait photographs taken by Kubrick himself staring at his own stills camera in the midst of filming and relaxing, and even a full page photo of him up close showing a big and bright smile on the set of 'A Clockwork Orange'. And there is much, much more to enjoy!
As a whole, this is a lavish, gorgeous and extremely well designed and researched book, with everyone involved deserving kudos for putting it together, including the Kubrick Estate for allowing the late director's archives to be disclosed and shown in such excellent taste. It is a brave purchase, yet it's really worth every cent spent on it, and of course an essential buy for the Kubrick aficionados like myself and for every serious film buff.

5.0 out of 5 stars Kubrick Lives, 4 Jun 2014
Always been a big Kubrick fan and this book provides all the info on the great man, beautifully presented and laid out as though Kubrick himself had a hand in it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Stunning book for a hard-core Kubrick fan., 17 Jan 2014
Simply a stunning book, lovingly and lavishly assembled. This beautiful, elaborately executed, comprehensive package is a steal for this price ( I bought it before the price came down, but it was worth every penny. A wealth of photos, information, documentation, and damn near everything you could want without actually including the films themselves. It comes with a CD interview, a piece of the Master's own 70mm Print of 2001,and this book is likely larger than most coffee tables themselves. Buy it. You can't possibly regret it if you love Kubrick's work.

The Stanley Kubrick Archives
The Stanley Kubrick Archives by Alison Castle (Hardcover - 25 Mar 2005)
Used & New from: £209.57