5.0 out of 5 stars Great introduction to the art of this fascinating artist
Published on 24 Dec. 2009 by S. Middleton

3.0 out of 5 stars Strangely translated!
Published on 1 Feb. 2009 by Mrs Miggins

5.0 out of 5 stars Great introduction to the art of this fascinating artist, 24 Dec. 2009
S. Middleton (Yorkshire, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Harvesting Dreams: Hundertwasser for Kids (Hardcover)
My son really likes this book, and I think it's a lovely introduction to Hundertwasser's art and philosophy. He is a somewhat "eccentric" artist and the text and overall composition of the book reflects that. Contrary to the other reviewer, neither my son nor myself thought that the book was badly translated; it is a little "odd" in places but I just felt that reflected its subject matter rather than the quality of the translation!

The book contains many suggestions for imaginative activities; not just "artistic" ones, but also things that stretch their imagination and understanding in a more general way.

I think this book is a wonderful introduction to art for children; it is much more engaging than many books about art aimed at kids. This is partly because of the way the book itself is written, but must be due in a large part to the vibrant and exciting style of Hundertwasser's art, which this book presents very well. I think there is something about his creations that particularly appeals to children, more so than many artists at any rate!

I think that this book could suit quite a wide range of ages; very young kids would probably enjoy looking at the pictures, and older kids wouldn't feel that it was "talking down to them". I gave my son this book when he was seven, he is now nearly nine. Teenagers might be a bit too old for it, but it would probably still appeal to younger teenagers with a good imagination and an enthusiasm for creativity.

5.0 out of 5 stars More than Dreams, 6 Feb. 2012
This review is from: Harvesting Dreams: Hundertwasser for Kids (Hardcover)
This colourful and well produced book gives an excellent account of the 'painter-king' Hundertwasser's life and philosophy in a way that of accessible to children from about age eight. It would be especially useful for teachers wishing to introduce Hundertwasser's work in school. He was an artist, architect and environmentalist and all three elements are explained and well illustrated in this book which is a delight to handle and joy to own.

5.0 out of 5 stars Such a lot of fun : ), 30 Aug. 2011
This book is great!

I'm a big fan of Hundertwasser anyway: his unique perspective on life, art, architecture, colour, pattern, not worrying about how bureaucrats think the way things should be but just imagining and painting and going back to paintings another day and the fact that art evolves (like gardening) and that starting a painting doesn't have to result in a finished piece the same day, same week, same year ... (continuing the analogy, when is a garden ever really finished? There is always a gap to fill, a plant to prune, fruit to harvest)

This book is helping me to pass on my enthusiasm for Hundertwasser to my 4 year old grandson, through practical art-making and that's got to be the best way!

I'm glad to see more Hundertwasser things (books, calendars, this "work book" etc) coming onto the market and will be an avid buyer : )

3.0 out of 5 stars Strangely translated!, 1 Feb. 2009
This review is from: Harvesting Dreams: Hundertwasser for Kids (Hardcover)
I love Hundertwasser's art, and I was hoping this would be a good book for my daughter. However, the translation is odd, and the sentences are sometimes hard for an adult to make sense of. I enjoyed reading it, and it has some lovely illustrations, but I would say it's not great for kids, unless they understand strange syntax and are used to hearing poorly translated English!

5.0 out of 5 stars great for kids and adults, 13 April 2013
This review is from: Harvesting Dreams: Hundertwasser for Kids (Hardcover)
A brilliant book full of interesting facts and information on hundertwasser but complied in a way kids can understand. Greta for use in the classroom.

4.0 out of 5 stars beautiful book, 9 Feb. 2015
This review is from: Harvesting Dreams: Hundertwasser for Kids (Hardcover)
A lovely book. I work as an art teacher so I found this a great story telling book about the artist which the kids loved. Great visuals too.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hundertwasser for Kids, 11 Dec. 2012
Mrs. Karen M. Merry "KasMez" (Leeds, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Harvesting Dreams: Hundertwasser for Kids (Hardcover)
Great Book very inspiring for Art projects for children. Don't know really what more to say but fantastic & interesting book.

Harvesting Dreams: Hundertwasser for Kids
Harvesting Dreams: Hundertwasser for Kids by Barbara Stieff (Hardcover - 31 Aug. 2008)