4.0 out of 5 stars Good but I could think of a few more!
Published on 29 Jan 2010 by Mr. P. Storer

3.0 out of 5 stars Not a good starting point
Published on 17 April 2012 by N. R. Watts

4.0 out of 5 stars Good but I could think of a few more!, 29 Jan 2010
Mr. P. Storer "Paul Storer" (Nottingham UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: 50 Photographers You Should Know (Paperback)
As a professional photographer I am always keen to see other photographers work, to get tips and inspiration from them. I was looking forward to this book arriving and skimming through the pictures and words. What I found was a list of 50 people, not all photographers who had influenced photography at some point or other. What I couldn't determine is who says these are 50 photographers we should know and what their criteria was. This is subjective, I was a little disappointed not to see Yousef Kharsh included - surely a man who's portraits or Hepburn and Churchill are known by millions and what about Annie Leibowitz? She may be falling out of favour but having seen her work at the National Portrait Gallery in 2008 she is a phenomenal photographer. I expect that if you ask 50 photographers you would get 50 different lists, with a few constants - Cartier Bresson, Ansell Adams, Avedon, Bailey (not all appear in this book) - So expect to be elated and disappointed when you look through this book

5.0 out of 5 stars An essential book you should own, 17 Feb 2011
M. J. Clenton (England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: 50 Photographers You Should Know (Paperback)
If you buy any book to do with photographic histories, this is the one to be on your top ten.

The book is an excellent format of images, timelines and basic information of 50 photographers. Each photographer is given between four and five pages. This is a combination of small and large images,accompanied by text that reveals information about the photographers concepts.

The book starts with early pioneers of photography such as Nadar, Brady, Muybridge and Atget. Included amongst other photographers are Henri-Lartique, Man Ray,Dorothea Lange, Cartier-Bresson,Robert Capa, Diane Arbus,Richard Avedon, the Becher's, Nan Goldin, Martin Parr and Wolfgang Tillmans.

It is a book but heaving with historical and contemporary information about some of the worlds greatest photogaphic personalities.

I would highly recommend this book to photographic students who are just starting out. If your not familiar with any photographer, then you may soon be if you purchase this book.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not a good starting point, 17 April 2012
N. R. Watts "Nigel Watts" (Thames nr Reading) - See all my reviews
This review is from: 50 Photographers You Should Know (Paperback)
I buy these books for my A level photography students to research in and just flick through for inspirations; this one was a little disappointing. From the title, you might imagine you will be looking at some amazing famous images, but mostly it is a slow history of photography through some slightly dull images. It appears to be a cheaply sourced book. Perfectly good for a flick through, and interesting enough, but not a book for a new enthusiast.

4.0 out of 5 stars too condensed, 22 Jun 2014
Mr. Robert Marsland (Glasgow) - See all my reviews
This review is from: 50 Photographers You Should Know (Paperback)
I liked this book quite a bit, but for me this series, along with this particular title is just a little too condensed. There isn't really enough room given to each photographer to really get a sense of their style or oeuvre. I personally would have made the book longer in order to accomplish this end. pretty good all in all though

5.0 out of 5 stars VERY GOOD., 8 Mar 2014
This review is from: 50 Photographers You Should Know (Paperback)
I bought this book because I am very interested in photography and wanted to know a bit more about photographers in history. Very interesting and inspiring.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Uni Source Book., 17 May 2013
This review is from: 50 Photographers You Should Know (Paperback)
Good book for a collection of historical influences, standing on the shoulders of others to reach new heights..
Worthy book.

3.0 out of 5 stars I was expecting slightly more, 28 Aug 2012
This review is from: 50 Photographers You Should Know (Paperback)
In general this is a nice book for someone that tries to familiarize himself with well known photographers. It gives a nice and not tiring description of the photographers. On the other side i was expecting some more photos there.

5.0 out of 5 stars very good, 17 Jan 2012
This review is from: 50 Photographers You Should Know (Paperback)
low price , nice book. the size of the book and the photos inside was as i expected.
I would like to know , before every purchase , the size of the book, and the number of the pages.

4.0 out of 5 stars great present for keen photographers, 7 Nov 2010
Aa Lambrechts "book maven" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: 50 Photographers You Should Know (Paperback)
I gave it to my fiancee who is studying photography, he was since able to use it many times for his coursework. I have also given it to my brother-in-law, keen photography amateur who loved it after having a read at our house. all in all - great for everyone interested in photography!

5.0 out of 5 stars Book, 5 Jan 2012
This review is from: 50 Photographers You Should Know (Paperback)
A really interesting book with lots of interesting facts about the photographers. A must have if you are studying photography.

50 Photographers You Should Know
50 Photographers You Should Know by Peter Stepan (Paperback - 31 Aug 2008)