on 21 April 2012
While travelling in different countries, I started collecting different masks from all parts of the world. I would totally make my choice based on the masks looks like. I didn't know any history behind them and most seller were not able to describe anything due to language barrier.
So I decided to purchase several book about masks one day. It took quite a while to pick 3 different books offered on Amazon. Out of these 3 books Spirits speak has the biggest collection of well-made and detailed full-color photos. There are so many of them so you can definitely observe and learn about trends and the outlook of masks in particular regions. At the end of the book there's a map pointing regions of masks origin.
There's a little bit of descrition in the front about masks history, premises to writing this book and some other interesting facts. All of these printed on special paper. It smelled like Africa to me and it looked like paper from Sri Lanka (very thick and grassy).
At the end of the book you also have a catalog supplying some details of masks that were presented on big photos before.
I strongly recommend the book to everyone who's interested in African art, mask collector and just craft/art lover.