5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent little book, 22 Oct 2005
Richard M (Newton Abbot, Devon United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Corsica: The 75 finest coastal and mountain walks - Rother Walking Guide - with GPS tracks (Paperback)
Great little book full of concise guides to walks all over Corsica, with helpful maps and descriptions that really do make it easy to decide which walks you'd like to do. Almost all are day walks, of varying (but clearly described) grade. Very compact size. As a purist and obsessed with safety I'd definitely recommend getting hold of the 1:25000 IGN maps of the regions you intend to walk in as well, though.

4.0 out of 5 stars Only one walk done and found an alternative return route, 2 Aug 2013
Emmanuelle Tulle (Falkirk, Scotland United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
In the end we only did one of the walks (we did another two, very short and very close to where we were staying, suggested a friend to warm up! I had earmarked the Lac de Nino walk and was hellbent on doing it. I was not disappointed - it lived up to the billing - pleasant through the woods and more strenuous in the second half of the climb to the ridge. I concur with the author and advise proper boots - good trainers with a good tread will be fine in dry weather but your feet will tire on the way back, as my partner found to his detriment. We had to walk to the other end of the lake to find the horses and there were no wild pigs. A good tip - there is a fountain of fresh mountain water on the GR20 section of the trail along the lake. Fantastic setting (glacial lake in a circus of beautiful mountains), really worth doing. It is very busy however. This didnt bother me as it's an opportunity to chat to others and get tips (more of that later). We set off at 10am, a bit later than anticipated. I worried it would be too hot on the second half, exposed part of the walk but a breeze kept things very bearable. Hats and high factor sun cream required however. Sometimes the path becomes indistinct so look out for the waymarkers or when these are not visible the mini cairns kindly set up by other walkers. There are also some beautiful stone installations in dead tree trunks! The book indicates a return by the route of ascent. It is quite steep and we didnt fancy coming back the same way. It would be very slippery in rain as there are a lot of slabs, which are nice to walk up in dry conditions but apparently tricky when it's wet. One person I met, who had done this walk 10 times (!), told me being roped up was sometimes necessary! However there is an alternative route - it's longer in distance but easier and less arduous on the old feet and knees. The return consists of picking up the GR20 up to the Bocca a Reta at 1883 m (well marked on Map 4251 OT), then heading west along the Serra San Tomaghiu, veering north west down to Bocca San Predru (Col ST Pierre). From the Col, which has a wee shrine and wild pigs snuffling about, drop down north east. At this point the GR20 waymarkers (red and white) are still showing and after 700 m of steep-ish descent, the path splits between GR20 and the route back to the road (yellow waymarkers). Follow these for 2km through the woods, until you get to the tarred road that comes down from Col de Vergio to the Forrestry House where you started walking. It's a 2km walk on the road, downhill, so easy and in fact a nice way of dispersing lactic acid. You can also go and gingerly dip your tired legs into the burn before you get onto the last stretch. Think Andy Murray and his ice baths...! On the road back we met cows and more pigs! A fantastic day before the 2 hour drive back to Porticcio! So thanks Klaus Wolfsperger for the walk and you are right it is quite a strenuous walk which people can do safely with their children, in dry weather. In wet weather I wouldn't advise it. As a munro-bagger I felt I was climbing a Munro and appropriate gear is a must, as advised in the book.

11.95