Format: Paperback|Change

on 7 September 2001
This is a nice little book (290 pages), which can be used as course litterature for an introductory course in number theory or a by-side reading for somebody taking a first course. It's exposition is so pedagogical and clear that I could study the book from the beginning to the end on my own without help. This is pretty rare for a mathematical book. It covers not only the basic subjects likes divisibility, primes and congruences but more advanced subjects like Euler's functions, quadratic residues, Riemann zeta function as well. there is even a final chapter on Fermat's Last Theorem, which is quite accessible. I would not hesitate to recommend this book to anybody starting to study number theory. Finally it contains complete solutions to all exercises.
on 19 November 2001
This is an excellent textbook. It is very clear and self-contained, making it possible to work through it without the need to refer elsewhere. I found that it was pitched at just the right level, challenging but not overwhelming, and a good mix of exercises, all with full solutions. The structure is very well thought out, so that it is always clear where arguments are heading. Probably the best maths textbook I've ever read; other authors please take note!
on 25 June 2003
This book is one I would have liked to have read when I was an undergraduate. It is quite the best mix of 'old style' and 'new style' number theory that I have ever seen in a book. Compared to, say, Hardy and Wright's classic book it is much more accessible, and uses terminology and techniques that are now commonplace to modern (under)graduate readers to both simplify and demystify the subject. Then again, it covers less ground than H. and W., but as a starting point it succeeds admirably.
I came to this book just as I was myself trying to gather together everything I knew (or could redisover) about the Phi groups (the groups of units of the rings Z_n); this book did it all for me; and mostly in a way that delighted the mind. I was reluctant to read it (I prefer to try myself before 'cheating') but when I did I found all that I needed there: and authors sympathetic to my own viewpoint. What a delightful feeling of coming home.
VINE VOICEon 10 July 2009
Which level is the book aimed?

This book (i.m.h.o) is a carefully composed introduction to underpinning knowledge of Number Theory topics. Its true -as its stated in the book- that introductory parts may be 'A'-level, but this builds beyond this without becoming worrying or intimidating! After a several weeks of effort on my part, I have found this book both helpful and clarifying and worth the time studying it.

I found this book layout enjoyable, progressive and interesting. Also its questions and answers (in the back) kept me going. Later on,after several chapters, if you have algebra insight from other sources than this book, you may sail through these areas with some ease.

Final thoughts

Personally, I found this book as a whole as stimulating as a maths book could be. Overall I really enjoyed this book, and I have seen the 'Springer' library is sometimes recommended in academic study book lists.
on 7 August 2012
I would just echo everything that the previous reviewers have said. I have used this for self study and have found it wonderfully clear. I also bought some Open University texts for a few more exercises on Diophantine equations and congruences, but really all of the key ideas are in the book.
on 29 November 2008
Very helpfull book, I am having no lessons on number theory, yet the chapters I have been through I feel very confident with. The style of showing you one proof, helping you understand it, and then asking you to adapt it to a similar situation is very confidence building. The last chapter is for the very brave though. It deals with fermat's last theorem in a bit more depth than fans of Simon Singh's "fermat's last theorem" might be familiar with (though he is a very good author).

Buy this if you want a good grounding in the essentials of number theory, but remember that it is most helpful if you give some of the sections more than a "once-over".
on 4 June 2015
Item as expected
on 16 November 2013
The information in this book is hidden and hard to find. If you enjoy searching for things in a pile of words then get this book otherwise there are far better books on number theory than this one.

The 'good' reviews are from people that haven't bought the book, unlike my verified purchase, which proves I bought it from amazon, and I'm not working for the publishers trying to big up the book to increase sales.

The binding of the book is awful, and is expensive for such a low quality item.
on 15 August 2011
I bought this book from Green Point - Amazon Marketplace. They have provided excellent customer service and persistence in the matter of delivering my book. Many thanks, Michael
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse