1 Review

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best Book on Spaceflight. Period., 7 Feb 2007
M. Mcintosh "Christian Books Today" (Lancashire, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Deep Space Probes: To the Outer Solar System and Beyond (Springer Praxis Books / Astronautical Engineering) (Hardcover)
All I can say is wow. Although I accessed the book originally through a university database (Springer, actually), I recommend this book to anyone who doubts the current feasibility of interstellar space exploration, or to anyone working in the field but who would benefit from a dip into what other disciplines are working on at the moment. The references are sound, and the technology up to date. It's expensive, I know, but compared to resourcing reputable texts on astrobiology, chemistry and astrophysics, and then trying to combine the material in your own head, "Deep Space Probes" is a bargain.

However, I would suggest that anyone who is interested in a survey-view of the sciences pertaining to interstellar spaceflight should first read a more elementary text such as Matloff's 1980's book "Spaceflight." Otherwise, it's not so much the calculus that's the problem (though it can be)but the terminology to learn. So this would be my one criticism: I would love to see in a subsequent edition, or maybe available on a website for those interested, the formulas/problems in Mathematica notebooks or fully worked through step-by-step for later plug in.

If this book received wider distribution, it alone would spark the imagination of so many. If the author reads this, a big personal thank you. You've given me tools for Hard SF that I never knew existed. Who needs make-believe when the fantastic is now? Better yet ... proved.