4.0 out of 5 stars Der kleine Hobbit review, 1 Sept. 2013
This review is from: Der Kleine Hobbit (Paperback)
I gave this product a four star rating because it filled all the requirements stated pre-purchase. I live in Australia, so this did take a fair amount of time to get to me but that is completely understandable and, again, it arrived within the stated estimations. The great thing about this book is that I have been able to use it as a tool for furthering my study in German language. Moreover, I love the English version anyway and have enjoyed reading this book in German. In addition, because of it's size I've been able to carry it about with me during the day and when I've had a spare hour or two, it's been useful to fill the time reading it wherever I might be. There's nothing I can say with regards to disliking the product. Definitely a recommendation for anyone who is a German, language student and knows The Hobbit well already. It would be interesting to see what a native speaker thought of the translation but I personally feel it has been translated well.

4.0 out of 5 stars German edition ordered in the UK, funny, isn't it?, 10 Sept. 2014
In Germany we have a thing called Buchpreisbindung, so you are not allowed to sell books below the price you have to sell it for. It's a very important tool to preserve a variety of books in Germany. So I felt kind of bad to buy this book in Britain.

I was a bit disappointed because there is not the bonus material in this issue that I was looking for, e. g. a letter Tolkien wrote to the Germans in 1937 or 1938? He explained things like his name coming from the German word tollkuehn, which means brave.

Actually I prefer The Lord of the Rings, but that one costs about 300 Euro in the leather bound edition.

There are illustrations by Tolkien in the book and a fold out map. The quality of this edition is beautiful! It's a real treasure!

Sorry for my very German English. I try to get better. Cheers. ☺

Der Kleine Hobbit
Der Kleine Hobbit by J. R. R. Tolkien (Paperback - Jun. 2004)
Used & New from: £10.06