on 28 June 2013
As an advertising creative, I'm well familiar with the story of the creative revolution. To be honest, I didn't think there was much more I could learn about it.

I was wrong.

Dominik has interviewed many of the surviving participants and brought new life to the tale. It's full of contradicting points of view, disagreements and grudges. And that makes it all the more interesting.

Plus the book is a gorgeous little gem that looks like it was designed by Helmut Krone himself.

If you're in the ad industry, this is required reading. Go get it!
on 13 May 2014
The VW adverts were revolutionary, changing graphic art almost overnight. I was at art college in the late 50s, early 60s and we used to phone one another when a new one came out, and discuss them.

This is the background to the creation of the series of adverts, including the often ignored copy.aspect. There are some lovely quotes. There can be no argument at the price that this is worth reading for anyone interested in the history of graphic art in advertising.

I remember that we were told 'if you show it, don't tell. If you tell it, don't show.' Along came these adverts and all of a sudden it seemed that 'Do your own thing' was the mantra. Great times to live through and this book allowed me to remember the trhill of the time.
on 14 November 2011
It's a lovely little book and surprisingly small, but it did feel a bit lacking. If you've done any reading about DDB and VW you'll probably know most of the content and I wasn't overly impressed by the tacked on interview with the "new" Bill Bernbach, Alex Bogusky, which didn't seem relevant.