An excellent, thoughtful, really well researched book, which makes its case lucidly.

I rate it so highly in particular because:
Published 11 months ago by P. D. Andrews

3.0 out of 5 stars Maybe a bit too much?
Started out as something I thought I could use professionally, but turned out to be a bit too "revolutionary" - I find it hard to actually implement the principles, but the discussion of them is at the least an interesting read.
Published 6 months ago by Christian

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent source book for those creating new paradigm organisations, 19 April 2014
P. D. Andrews (Hampshire, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Reinventing Organizations: A Guide to Creating Organizations Inspired by the Next Stage of Human Consciousness (Paperback)

I rate it so highly in particular because:
- it is genuinely holistic (it looks from multiple perspectives at organisations). In general even the better books about organisations tend to focus on just one aspect (say leadership, or purpose, or culture) - precious few are anything close to being holistic;
- it includes really detailed and useful case studies. I have a long-standing interest in what I think of as new paradigm organisations (ones that are compatible with things like complexity theory and quantum mechanics) and I hadn't come across any of these companies before. What's more, it is unusual (and really valuable) to be able to read in such detail the mechanics of how such organisations actually work. After all they don't generally have publicity departments pumping out information about how they are run;
- it is very readable. Organisations are really, really complex and it is easy to get lost in the complexity. Frederic has made this a relatively easy read while managing to convey really complex stuff.

If I were to be picky, I would say that the book would be more complete if it had included reference to some of the remarkable "unorganisations" that have formed thanks to the internet - I am thinking Wikipedia, Linux, Apache, Flickr, Couchsurfing and many others. There is definitely a strong link to be made between, on the one hand, plain ordinary businesses that find better ways of organising themselves (this is the territory of this book and of the likes of Ricardo Semler), and on the other hand businesses that are so networked that they are hardly recognisable as businesses at all (written about in books like "Here Comes Everybody", 'We:Think" and "Wikinomics" . It seems to me that these new ways of organising are all manifesting at this time due to: a) a rising ecological consciousness; b) an increasing move for self actualisation (self-empowerment), fuelled by modern communications technology and c) diminishing global resources and rising population, encouraging us to explore ways of sharing more.

Some may consider the book too unquestionning, glossing over or overlooking some of the no doubt turbulent events in the history of these organisations that led them to where they are. After all, most of the information comes from the organisations themselves - they are not likely to emphasize the struggles and arguments and dark nights of the soul that no doubt played their part in their emergence. One of the mysteries of such organisations is how they come to be created at all - it is often a series of seeming chances or miracles that leads to them coming into existence. There are many stories to be told about this.

But if you see as a resource book and a source of inspiration for anyone wanting to create dynamic, innovative, wonderful places to work, then you will find it hard to beat.

5.0 out of 5 stars Consciously Creating the Future, 28 May 2014
P Clothier "Phil Clothier" (Bury, Lancs United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
In 2000 a friend gave me a copy of Liberating the Corporate Soul by Richard Barrett (since updated as The Values Driven Organisation). I knew as I was reading it that a door had opened to a whole new life and language. I walked through that door into a new life that aligned my mind, heart and soul into a meaningful purpose with an ever growing group of people who shared my values.

I have just finished reading "Reinventing Organisations" by Frederic Laloux and it has inspired in me with the same feeling and knowing. This is a remarkable piece of work that points a way to organisations of the future. It is written in a clear engaging style with many stories that show these ideas already being manifested by pioneering organisations around the world.

For leaders of any type of organisation who have a sense that the world (business, government and society) is on a tipping point of a whole new paradigm, this book will open your eyes and mind to that possible future. It does not prescribe `an answer' but it may challenge you to make bold new choices.

Once you know something, you can't un-know it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Must Read, 24 Feb. 2015
I was ready for the concepts and ideas that Frederic explores in this book. I had so many moments when things 'clicked into place' that I lost count. If you are at all interested in how the work place is changing and long for a more human touch then this book is for you. If you are locked into the way that corporations currently operate (viewing organisations as 'machines' to be controlled) then much of what the book explores will seem very alien. A few people (from all over the world) have become sufficiently aware of their connection to other human beings that they take a very different view of how organisations should be run. There are practical reasons why the existing hierarchical organisation model is failing - namely that the world is getting much more complex and hierarchy is too slow, and there are human reasons why our current thinking needs to change - mainly that people want to be recognised for whom they are and are no longer prepared to be treated as 'cogs in the machine'.
The beauty of this new way of working is that everyone benefits so much more. Businesses achieve great success not because of a competitive strategic plan but because they allow people to bring all their energy to work and deliver services or products that serve the greater good. Please read this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth its weight in gold, for founders and culture builders, 24 Feb. 2015
Almost a year ago, I was looking for a book that would provide some sense that we are not the only ones trying to build this sort of open culture. With incredibly luck or serendipity, I stumbled on Reinventing Organizations and read it cover to cover in a very short time. The book is a gold mine of practical ideas and concepts that can be applied to your business. Derived from actual companies rather than theoretical frameworks, it really presents some very solid foundations on which to build an open culture. We have since bought over 20 copies, and most people in the company have read it, and we have applied several key concepts from the book and it is providing us with guidelines for what to try next. It is incredibly that so much value can be derived from just one book. I cannot recommend this book enough, for all founders and culture-builders out there. If you’re trying to create an open company culture, this is worth its weight in gold.

5.0 out of 5 stars INSPIRATIONAL, VISIONARY and HOPEFUL, 29 Mar. 2015
I think this is landmark book which clearly points the way to a future where organisations can truly be forces for good in the world. I can't heap enough praise on this book. Pay attention to the brave subtitle: "A guide to Creating Organisations Inspired by the Next Stage of Human Consciousness." I found the book thorough and rigorous and laden with practical illustrations and examples. It presents a credible alternative to our present day, fear driven, measurement and control approaches to running and leading organisations. It manges big picture perspectives and fine detail coverage. It turns on its head most conventional and business school wisdom about how to run successful corporations. If you have lost hope in our organisations, read this and be inspired.

5.0 out of 5 stars This book helped answer my practical questions about whether the way we think about organisation and organising works, 12 Feb. 2015
I found Part 1 so helpful; it shone a bright light on why past projects I've worked on have gone really well and why others didn't.

I like the way the book describes how in practice the breakthroughs of self-management, wholeness and evolutionary purpose show up in different organisations around the world. The getting started section was also helpful.

I was left wondering what those with power to change an organisation in ways that would harness these breakthroughs, would think about giving their power away to achieve this. I found the framework in Part 1 to be a very useful framework to provoke discussion that helps them decide.

I'm grateful for this book and hope it helps to change how people experience their life at work.

5.0 out of 5 stars An Excellent Piece of Research, 6 Mar. 2014
David Taylor (Middlestown, W. Yorkshire United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
Finally a book exploring second level, integral change in organisations using practical case studies. This is a valuable resource for any leader wanting to truly understand how to move themselves and their organisations to more effective ways to make decisions, do business and create environments in which people can engage and deliver efficiently and effectively. The best business/organisation/leadership book I have come across for a long time.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 9 Oct. 2014
Nial O. Reilly "Ignite" (Ireland) - See all my reviews
Sometimes you read a book that 'pulls it all together'.....for me this is such a book. I have a keen interest in adult development theory and the implications for organisational development. I enjoy and have learned from the work of Kegan/Lahey, Rooke/Torbert, Jennifer Garvey-Berger and others.....this pulls a lot together in a logical, readable, accessible form. Its a wonderful piece of work. I'm still reading the length of it but I know it will take me years to explore the depth!

5.0 out of 5 stars Leading with purpose, 6 Oct. 2014
This is an amazing book. It contains many of my own philosophies and ideas, even down to the last page! So pleased I am not the only one who thinks this way. I think the title may mislead those non-mangement people who I think would gain a lot from reading it as in my view it is all about 'purpose' being the focus and can apply to bringing up children as much as employees in the workplace.

5.0 out of 5 stars How to free the full human potential!, 7 Oct. 2014
A comprehensive description of the evolution of human consciousness in business environment. And practical stories and tips on how to free the human porential. This is a must read if you want to grow a more sustainable, healthy and profitable organisation based on a new mindset.