5.0 out of 5 stars Recovery
Published on 8 Sep 2010 by Benjamin

3.0 out of 5 stars Not read yet.
Hard to comment as I have not read it yet; however the price was good. I have read other books by NA so should be okay.
Published 16 months ago by christine

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Recovery, 8 Sep 2010
Benjamin (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
In this, the second part of Nick Alexander's trilogy, Mark is recovering form the tragic loss of his lover, and we now find him in Brighton trying to rebuild his life. He braves investigating the gay scene in Brighton and meets an interesting and varied selection of new friends, but falls in love with the delightful Tom, who unfortunately for Mark already has a partner, Antonio. Also reappearing in Mark's life is Jenny, a girlfriend from a time before he realised his true inclinations. She has her own problems into which both Mark and Tom are inexorably drawn.
This second novel of Nick Alexander's is much more than just a continuation of the first, it is very different in approach, much more contemplative, less episodic, more gripping and captivating. A thoroughly enjoyable read with interesting and likeable characters; my immediate reaction on finishing the book was to order the third part Good Thing Bad Thing.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, 28 Jun 2011
M Rosa (UK) - See all my reviews
Just a quick review here, mainly to help build up a good reputation for author Nick Alexander - a reputation which he thoroughly deserves.

I am a complete opposite to the main character Mark, a straight, 20 year old girl who lives in a pretty conservative area and has no experience of the gay scene. However, this didn't stop me relating to Mark, his life and the challenges he faces, and I thoroughly enjoyed this book

5.0 out of 5 stars Genuine page turner reflecting 21st century life, 2 Jan 2006
By A Customer
This review is from: Sottopassaggio - A Novel (Paperback)
I stumbled across Sottopassaggio purely by accident which turned out to be the best random purchase I made in 2005. The omens were good when the book arrived two days earlier than I had expected but unwittingly I had bought it direct from the author. What followed was two days of unmitigated addiction to a very well crafted and unbelievably funny book.
Make no mistake this isn’t one of the so called “gay literature” offerings that invariably vanquishes all much promised expectation but is a well crafted, witty and entertaining book with a highly engaging narrative and characters that leap off of the pages at you. Its grip on contemporary culture and gay life in the actions, thoughts and feelings of Mark the main character can be frighteningly close to the bone but this only makes it all the more readable. All of the other characters and situations described in the book are too real for words which only adds to the pleasure of the plot.
I enjoyed this book so much I bought its predecessor 50 Reasons To Say Goodbye and was equally entertained. All friends, both gay and straight, that have read either or both of the books have found them equally fun and I can’t recommend them highly enough. I defy anyone to deny that they too haven’t had their own Eric Cantona moment as described in 50 Reasons To Say Goodbye !

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent read again!, 2 Jun 2011
I've really got in to these books, had felt really bad for Mark when he found 'the one' in the first book for him to be without and returning to Brighton alone. It was probably for the best to allow him to pick up the pieces and to start again. I've really enjoyed being involved in Mark's life through the author's eyes and really please for the outcome. Jenny really comes in as a major part of the book and so glad he is there for her in the end when it matters so much!

5.0 out of 5 stars Must Read, 22 May 2011
This is the first book I read in Nick Alexander's "50 Reasons" series, despite being the 2nd in ther series, and it left me yearning for more; I was delighted when I discovered there were 4 other books in the series! I've been reading them all non stop for the last 3 weeks and they're really touched my life. For me, the entire series is a 'must read' but each of the books can also be read independently. Having said that you'd be missing a real treat if you didn't read all 5! I won't be forgetting these stories for a very long time.

5.0 out of 5 stars Tickled & touched, good humour recharged..., 9 April 2011
A natural and delightful evolution of writing style, following the life of Mark who, having loved and lost tragically, tries to find his feet again back in the UK.

To say this is a more mature book would be to inappropriately denigrate 50 Reasons to Say Goodbye which is a tasty hors d'oeuvre in it's own right. Here there is a sense of sketches, playful finger painting characters being brought further to life as people. Within the episodes of the earlier book there was truth too but in this one there is more exploration of the melody and rhythm of relationship rather than notes that come and go, striking chords for the reader, even if not for Mark! Where there is discord or conflict for the characters, the writing doesn't inflict dissonance on the reader. Rather, it communicates feeling so one's touched by the experiences of the characters, whether that involves joy, frustration, disappointment or embarrassment.

Importantly, the book is entertaining without being shallow, something many don't manage. Yes, there are similarities with the books of Armistead Maupin but, as mentioned in my review for 50 Reasons, this is a positive because it means there is more quality writing here, within that genre (broadening it) and it has its own distinct and wonderful qualities for us to feast on.

By engaging the reader with humour and sadness, so one further empathises with the characters, appreciating the telling of their story, so it awakens the opportunity for the reader to appreciate and laugh with (rather than merely at) the ups and downs of their own life. Overall, this doesn't mean lumbering fiction therapy, more it is a delightful (that word again) organic (and often very funny) thing.

Again this book should reach an audience far beyond only gay men, even more so than the last. After all we're human all beings - being tickled and touched is wonderful and good for us too. There aren't enough things you can say that about!

PS And it's (the book) almost scandalously inexpensive

5.0 out of 5 stars Ab fab, 9 Dec 2012
I have now read every single book in the Fifty Reasons series, and loved them all. I am a 42 year old female, married, with 2 teenage sons, yet so many feelings and perspectives brought on by Mark have resonated with me. We all have doubts and insecurities about the life we live - we wonder if we are doing the 'right' thing and this has been discussed by Nick Alexander in such a way that they really get you thinking about your current life, the past and the future. These are easily the best books I have read all year (I started with Hannah's Half Life) - they feel like real-life biographies and that you are part of Mark's life. Buy, download, enjoy!

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent read!, 25 Jan 2011
This book was an excellent follow up to 50 reasons to say goodbye. I was gripped and read it within a couple of days. An absolute bargain on kindle and I am now buying the whole series! Brilliant book whether you are gay or straight it dosnt matter, the feelings and emotions are so gripping and you really get a feel for the characters.

5.0 out of 5 stars A very moving book, 21 Sep 2005
I purchased a copy of "Sottopassaggio" at the recent book launch and took it on holiday to Gran Canaria where I read it in about two days!
It was a very moving book (I found myself nearly crying on more than one occasion) and full of apparent coincidence, which later turn out to be linked in some way. Even the smallest detail could not be called insignificant.
I have now passed it on to my boyfriend (another Mark) who also seems to be enjoying it.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great series of books - lets hope for more, 26 July 2006
Markey Mark (Antibes - France) - See all my reviews
Sotopasaggio and fifty reasons are the best gay reads I have come across in years.

I hope there will be a whole series like the tales of the city books, as every time I finish one of these, I can't wait for the next.

Be careful how you shop tho, as amazon have two editions of this book, and one is cheaper than the other!! I bought the wrong one :-(

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Sottopassaggio - A Novel
Sottopassaggio - A Novel by Nick Alexander (Paperback - 1 Sep 2005)